Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Path to Linux / Unix Systems Administrator Post 302415485 by rhfrommn on Thursday 22nd of April 2010 04:18:55 PM
Old 04-22-2010
One comment I'd have is that a large fraction of the admins I know had an experience in their career where they got thrown in way over their head and they had to learn under pressure. One of my mentors worked at a large bank, and 1 month after becoming a Unix admin the senior admin quit so he ended up in charge of hundreds of workstations and servers by himself.

In my case, 1 year after getting into Unix I was hired to be the middle person of a 3 admin team for a fairly small company. There was supposed to be a very experienced admin hired for the senior position. The day I showed up they told me the senior guy got another job offer and wouldn't be joining the company. So day 1 I ended up in charge of the entire Unix environment for a new company I'd never worked at before! Not long after that, due to layoffs I ended up the only person between both Unix and Storage teams, doing the work that was handled by a team of 6 about a year earlier. It was tons of work and stress having to come up to speed that fast and handle everything on my own. But for the long range career outlook it was great. I had experience and knowledge I never would have gotten working under a more senior admin again.

So, I guess the practical advice for you is to find a way to work on Unix, even if you think it's beyond what you can do. If you truly love it and have the talent and smarts it takes you'll manage to get by and learn more than you ever could reading books. Find a part time or entry level Unix job, or volunteer at the church/school/charity of your choice to work on their Linux or Unix systems, or somthing like that. Find a way to get real world experience even if it seems intimidating at first.

Good luck.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

Unix Administrator and Linux Administrator transition

Hello Unix Experts, I'm going to be graduating with a CIS (Computer Information Systems) degree in the coming year. I have been offered an internship with a job title of Unix Administrator under a well known company. I understand that Unix is used for high-end servers in many large... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brentmd24
1 Replies

2. Advertise with Us

UNIX Systems Administrator Opportunity

Optiver is a worldwide market maker and derivatives trading firm with offices strategically located in Chicago, Amsterdam and Sydney. Attracting very ambitious, talented and results-oriented individuals to become members of a highly selective trading and support group is a primary contributor to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Barb S.
0 Replies
condor_userlog(1)					      General Commands Manual						 condor_userlog(1)

Name
       condor_userlog Display - and summarize job statistics from job log files.

Synopsis
       condor_userlog [-help] [-total | -raw] [-debug] [-evict] [-j cluster | cluster.proc] [-all] [-hostname] logfile ...

Description
       condor_userlog  parses  the  information  in job log files and displays summaries for each workstation allocation and for each job. See the
       manual page for condor_submiton page for instructions for specifying that Condor write a log file for your jobs.

If -totalis not specified, condor_userlogwill first display a record for each workstation allocation, which includes the following informa-
       tion:

Job

The cluster/process id of the Condor job.

Host

The  host  where  the job ran. By default, the host's IP address is displayed. If -hostnameis specified, the host name will be displayed
	  instead.

Start Time

The time (month/day hour:minute) when the job began running on the host.

Evict Time

The time (month/day hour:minute) when the job was evicted from the host.

Wall Time

The time (days+hours:minutes) for which this workstation was allocated to the job.

Good Time

The allocated time (days+hours:min) which contributed to the completion of this job. If the job exited during the allocation, then  this
	  value  will  equal  ``Wall Time.'' If the job performed a checkpoint, then the value equals the work saved in the checkpoint during this
	  allocation. If the job did not exit or perform a checkpoint during this allocation, the value will be 0+00:00. This value can be greater
	  than	0  and	less  than ``Wall Time'' if the application completed a periodic checkpoint during the allocation but failed to checkpoint
	  when evicted.

CPU Usage

The CPU time (days+hours:min) which contributed to the completion of this job.

condor_userlogwill then display summary statistics per host:

Host/Job

The IP address or host name for the host.

Wall Time

The workstation time (days+hours:minutes) allocated by this host to the jobs specified in the query. By default, all jobs in the log are
	  included in the query.

Good Time

The time (days+hours:minutes) allocated on this host which contributed to the completion of the jobs specified in the query.

CPU Usage

The CPU time (days+hours:minutes) obtained from this host which contributed to the completion of the jobs specified in the query.

Avg Alloc

The average length of an allocation on this host (days+hours:minutes).

Avg Lost

The average amount of work lost (days+hours:minutes) when a job was evicted from this host without successfully performing a checkpoint.

Goodput

This percentage is computed as Good Time divided by Wall Time.

Util.

This percentage is computed as CPU Usage divided by Good Time.

condor_userlogwill then display summary statistics per job:

Host/Job

The cluster/process id of the Condor job.

Wall Time

The total workstation time (days+hours:minutes) allocated to this job.

Good Time

The total time (days+hours:minutes) allocated to this job which contributed to the job's completion.

CPU Usage

The total CPU time (days+hours:minutes) which contributed to this job's completion.

Avg Alloc

The average length of a workstation allocation obtained by this job in minutes (days+hours:minutes).

Avg Lost

The average amount of work lost (days+hours:minutes) when this job was evicted from a host without successfully performing a checkpoint.

Goodput

This percentage is computed as Good Time divided by Wall Time.

Util.

This percentage is computed as CPU Usage divided by Good Time.

Finally, condor_userlogwill display a summary for all hosts and jobs.

Options
       -help

Get a brief description of the supported options

-total

Only display job totals

-raw

Display raw data only

-debug

Debug mode

-j

Select a specific cluster or cluster.proc

-evict

Select only allocations which ended due to eviction

-all

Select all clusters and all allocations

-hostname

Display host name instead of IP address

General Remarks
       Since  the Condor job log file format does not contain a year field in the timestamp, all entries are assumed to occur in the current year.
       Allocations which begin in one year and end in the next will be silently ignored.

Exit Status
       condor_userlogwill exit with a status value of 0 (zero) upon success, and it will exit with the value 1 (one) upon failure.

Author
       Condor Team, University of Wisconsin-Madison

Copyright
       Copyright (C) 1990-2012 Condor Team, Computer Sciences Department, University of  Wisconsin-Madison,  Madison,  WI.  All  Rights  Reserved.
       Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0.

See the Condor Version 7.8.2 Manualor http://www.condorproject.org/licensefor additional notices. condor-admin@cs.wisc.edu

September 2012						 condor_userlog(1)