Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Path to Linux / Unix Systems Administrator Post 302415485 by rhfrommn on Thursday 22nd of April 2010 04:18:55 PM
Old 04-22-2010
One comment I'd have is that a large fraction of the admins I know had an experience in their career where they got thrown in way over their head and they had to learn under pressure. One of my mentors worked at a large bank, and 1 month after becoming a Unix admin the senior admin quit so he ended up in charge of hundreds of workstations and servers by himself.

In my case, 1 year after getting into Unix I was hired to be the middle person of a 3 admin team for a fairly small company. There was supposed to be a very experienced admin hired for the senior position. The day I showed up they told me the senior guy got another job offer and wouldn't be joining the company. So day 1 I ended up in charge of the entire Unix environment for a new company I'd never worked at before! Not long after that, due to layoffs I ended up the only person between both Unix and Storage teams, doing the work that was handled by a team of 6 about a year earlier. It was tons of work and stress having to come up to speed that fast and handle everything on my own. But for the long range career outlook it was great. I had experience and knowledge I never would have gotten working under a more senior admin again.

So, I guess the practical advice for you is to find a way to work on Unix, even if you think it's beyond what you can do. If you truly love it and have the talent and smarts it takes you'll manage to get by and learn more than you ever could reading books. Find a part time or entry level Unix job, or volunteer at the church/school/charity of your choice to work on their Linux or Unix systems, or somthing like that. Find a way to get real world experience even if it seems intimidating at first.

Good luck.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

Unix Administrator and Linux Administrator transition

Hello Unix Experts, I'm going to be graduating with a CIS (Computer Information Systems) degree in the coming year. I have been offered an internship with a job title of Unix Administrator under a well known company. I understand that Unix is used for high-end servers in many large... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brentmd24
1 Replies

2. Advertise with Us

UNIX Systems Administrator Opportunity

Optiver is a worldwide market maker and derivatives trading firm with offices strategically located in Chicago, Amsterdam and Sydney. Attracting very ambitious, talented and results-oriented individuals to become members of a highly selective trading and support group is a primary contributor to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Barb S.
0 Replies
pam_pkcs11(8)						    System Administration tools 					     pam_pkcs11(8)

NAME
pam_pkcs11 - PAM Authentication Module for PKCS#11 token libraries SYNOPSIS
pam_pkcs11.so [debug] [configfile=<configfile>] DESCRIPTION
This Linux-PAM login module allows a X.509 certificate based user login. The certificate and its dedicated private key are thereby accessed by means of an appropriate PKCS #11 module. For the verification of the users' certificates, locally stored CA certificates as well as either online or locally accessible CRLs are used. CONFIGURATION
The program that needs a PAM service should be configured in /etc/pam.conf or /etc/pam.d/<servicename>. pam_pkcs11 can be used in the <auth> PAM chain. For details on how to configure PAM services, see the PAM documentation for your system. This manual does not cover PAM configuration details. The existing PAM service definitions for other applications on your system is also a good source for examples on how to configure a PAM service. FILES
/etc/pam_pkcs11/pam_pkcs11.conf /usr/lib/pam_pkcs11/*_mapper.so AUTHOR
Original PAM-pkcs11 was written by Mario Strasser <mast@gmx.net>. Newer versions are from Juan Antonio Martinez <jonsito@teleline.es>. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs ideas, comments, bug-fixes and so to: Juan Antonio Martinez <jonsito@teleline.es> SEE ALSO
pam(8), pam_pkcs11.conf(5), PAM Systems Administrator Guide, README.mappers file, PAM-PKCS#11 User Manual. Mario Strasser 15-Feb-2005 pam_pkcs11(8)