Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Path to Linux / Unix Systems Administrator Post 302415434 by jhtrice on Thursday 22nd of April 2010 03:06:48 PM
Old 04-22-2010
Find a mentor

It's been my experience that Unix admins tend to be fairly independent and like to figure things out for themselves. That being said, a good mentor can be a huge benefit. Do you know a Unix admin that has a rep for being a guru?

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

Unix Administrator and Linux Administrator transition

Hello Unix Experts, I'm going to be graduating with a CIS (Computer Information Systems) degree in the coming year. I have been offered an internship with a job title of Unix Administrator under a well known company. I understand that Unix is used for high-end servers in many large... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brentmd24
1 Replies

2. Advertise with Us

UNIX Systems Administrator Opportunity

Optiver is a worldwide market maker and derivatives trading firm with offices strategically located in Chicago, Amsterdam and Sydney. Attracting very ambitious, talented and results-oriented individuals to become members of a highly selective trading and support group is a primary contributor to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Barb S.
0 Replies
MKMANIFEST(1)						      General Commands Manual						     MKMANIFEST(1)

NAME
mkmanifest - create a shell script to restore Unix filenames SYNOPSIS
mkmanifest [ files ] DESCRIPTION
Mkmanifest creates a shell script that will aid in the restoration of Unix filenames that got clobbered by the MSDOS filename restrictions. MSDOS filenames are restricted to 8 character names, 3 character extensions, upper case only, no device names, and no illegal characters. The mkmanifest program is compatible with the methods used in pcomm, arc, and mtools to change perfectly good Unix filenames to fit the MSDOS restrictions. EXAMPLE
I want to copy the following Unix files to a MSDOS diskette (using the mcopy command). very_long_name 2.many.dots illegal: good.c prn.dev Capital Mcopy will convert the names to: very_lon 2xmany.dot illegalx good.c xprn.dev capital The command: mkmanifest very_long_name 2.many.dots illegal: good.c prn.dev Capital > manifest would produce the following: mv very_lon very_long_name mv 2xmany.dot 2.many.dots mv illegalx illegal: mv xprn.dev prn.dev mv capital Capital Notice that "good.c" did not require any conversion, so it did not appear in the output. Suppose I've copied these files from the diskette to another Unix system, and I now want the files back to their original names. If the file "manifest" (the output captured above) was sent along with those files, it could be used to convert the filenames. SEE ALSO
arc(1), pcomm(1), mtools(1) local MKMANIFEST(1)