Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Path to Linux / Unix Systems Administrator Post 302415305 by sideburn on Thursday 22nd of April 2010 07:58:17 AM
Old 04-22-2010
Path to Linux / Unix Systems Administrator

Hello!

I have seen similar questions asked about how to become a system administrator. Most would say experience is more important than just getting a certificate and even a degree. However, I haven't found a good information how to build experience from a newbie to entry-level systems administrator. Do you have a recommendation of books, websites, articles and learning materials that would guide a newbie toward path to linux / unix systems administrator?

I have read FreeBSD handbook and used FreeBSD as my first "unix" experience. Then I switched to Ubuntu for my main home desktop usage. I am starting to look into OpenSolaris and Solaris docs (Solaris 10 System Administration Collection at docs.sun.com). I am even tempted to attempt to study RHCE exam but wondering if it will help me gain experience (not just to earn the certificate itself). I guess I am wandering aimlessly not sure what steps to take. However, I know I fell in love with unix / bsd / linux. :-)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

Unix Administrator and Linux Administrator transition

Hello Unix Experts, I'm going to be graduating with a CIS (Computer Information Systems) degree in the coming year. I have been offered an internship with a job title of Unix Administrator under a well known company. I understand that Unix is used for high-end servers in many large... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brentmd24
1 Replies

2. Advertise with Us

UNIX Systems Administrator Opportunity

Optiver is a worldwide market maker and derivatives trading firm with offices strategically located in Chicago, Amsterdam and Sydney. Attracting very ambitious, talented and results-oriented individuals to become members of a highly selective trading and support group is a primary contributor to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Barb S.
0 Replies
EXICYCLOG(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      EXICYCLOG(8)

NAME
exicyclog - Cycle exim's logfiles SYNOPSIS
eximcyclog DESCRIPTION
The exicyclog script can be used to cycle (rotate) mainlog and rejectlog files. This is not necessary if only syslog is being used. Some operating systems have their own standard mechanisms for log cycling, and these can be used instead of exicyclog if preferred. Each time exicyclog is run the file names get 'shuffled down' by one. If the main log file name is mainlog (the default) then when exicy- clog is run mainlog becomes mainlog.01, the previous mainlog.01 becomes mainlog.02 and so on, up to a limit which is set in the script, and which defaults to 10. Reject logs are handled similarly. If no mainlog file exists, the script does nothing. Files that 'drop off' the end are deleted. All files with numbers greater than 01 are compressed, using a compression command which is configured by the COMPRESS_COMMAND setting in Local/Makefile. It is usual to run "exicy- clog" daily from a root "crontab" entry of the form 1 0 * * * su exim -c /usr/exim/bin/exicyclog assuming you have used the name 'exim' for the Exim user. You can run exicyclog as root if you wish, but there is no need. BUGS
This manual page needs a major re-work. If somebody knows better groff than us and has more experience in writing manual pages, any patches would be greatly appreciated. SEE ALSO
exim(8), /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/ AUTHOR
This manual page was stitched together from spec.txt by Andreas Metzler <ametzler at downhill.at.eu.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). March 26, 2003 EXICYCLOG(8)