Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: size of the terminal window
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting size of the terminal window Post 302410122 by alister on Sunday 4th of April 2010 06:25:47 PM
Old 04-04-2010
If $COLUMNS and $LINES aren't set in the script's environment, perhaps you can use:
Code:
tput cols  # columns (width)
tput lines # lines (height)

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I dial a number from the terminal window?

Hi Folks, Just for the record: I am a Mac User. But I believe my question is a simple UNIX FBSD question. My problem: I need to learn how to "pick up" the telephone line and dial a number from an Unix shell or shell script execution. My modem is at /dev/cu.modem Why I need it? I... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: fundidor
12 Replies

2. Solaris

Find and activate a terminal window

I am writing some java code to automate running an application on a Sun system. The application opens 9 terminal windows. Of those nine windows, I have to find two and give them focus long enough to send a keystroke. Since there seems to be no way to do this using java, is there a unix command I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmp1jrv
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Script to launch terminal window?

Hi, I am a newbie here. Trying to find a way of writing a script to launch multiple terminal or console windows on solaris 9. I used to be able to do this using cmdtool on older versions of solaris and it was even possible to configure the size and screen position of the window and the title. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: omerta
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Preventing the terminal window to resize

I am running Terminal (xterm) on FreeBSD and XFCE. When opening a new terminal window so that an additional tab appears, the window resizes to become taller and partially hiding behind the task bar. I noticed that Xubuntu has fixed this feature and the window does not resize when opening a second... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming terminal window titlebar

Could someone please inform me of how to permanently change the titlebar name in terminal windows on solaris. I know how to do the xterm and all that but I need it so anytime anyone opens the terminal window it says something i want it too instead of "terminal". Thanks for any help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amason0508
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

help with linux terminal window

Hello! I need to create a file and provide access to two users of the file under the same command in linuxs terminal window. The question is how can I do it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Messe
3 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Terminal window unknown ?

Hi all I haven't worked much in the terminal window until recently as I'm trying to install the Imagemagick package, it's not going well but thats another matter. I'm worried now that I might have done something wrong. When I open the terminal window now I get unknown-e0-f8-47-0d-1b-02:~... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ttmt
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

avoid error on terminal window!

Hi Guys, I am using simple ls command to find out whether the dir exist there or not. If dir found than remove. But the problem is I don't want the error shown on the terminal window that "dir not found" on the terminal window everytime i execute it. The code I am using is: set x = `/bin/ls... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixits
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

My script doesn't work in the terminal window!

I am inexperienced with scripting and it continues to baffles me speechless I wrote a script so that it counts the number of subset of files (with different prefix) in all subdirectories under the current directory so that find ./ -type d -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 > list_of_dir.txtfind all... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: piynik
23 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Toggle between xterm window and standard terminal window

Is it possible to toggle back and forth between an xterm invoked from one tty, and a shell invoked from a different tty? I am running Centos 7 with KDE and booting in non-graphic mode. After logging in on the default window (/dev/tty1) , I can then use ALT-F2 to access a new window (/dev/tty2),... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rhgscty
1 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.10 30 Jan 2004 script(1)