Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris /var/adm/messages not updating Post 302409565 by incredible on Thursday 1st of April 2010 01:25:31 PM
Old 04-01-2010
Any recent activities like OS hardening, etc done prior to this problem? what are the directory and file permissions? default values?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Messages in /var/adm

Just want to check with all of you out there what does the following warning means in my "messages" file in /var/adm the warning is Prevous Time Adjustment Incomplete , does it mean my hard ware is faulty if so which piece of hardware it is ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: owls
1 Replies

2. Solaris

/var/adm/messages- Help

Solaris 8/ sun 420R Checked /var/adm/messages file and got the following message: Dec 4 16:40:05 serverXYZ ConfigProvider: get_pkg_instdate: getdate failed for the standard C locale (7) Does anyone know what this means? Looked up getdate but do not understand.... Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: finster
1 Replies

3. Solaris

/var/adm/messages

I'm running a Solaris 9 box with Oracle databases on it. I'm getting the following messages in my /var/adm/messages log "Jun 24 12:30:32 sundb01 bootpd: IP address not found: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" ...where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is DHCP IP addresses of Windows 2000 workstations in the organisation. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/var/adm/messages

Hi, No log entry is found in messages files. The file size is 0. We are using Solaris 9. Anyone knows what could be wrong. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FrankC
3 Replies

5. Solaris

/var/adm/messages

Hello Friends, I am geting the folowing error in /var/adm/message is it disl related problem? if yes.. how to check all the disk are perfect or not? Sep 15 06:01:12 scsi: WARNING: /pci@1f,700000/scsi@2/sd@2,0 (sd7): Sep 15 06:01:12 Error for Command: write(10) Error Level:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bullz26
5 Replies

6. Solaris

/var/adm/messages

Check message file and result posted below. Can anyone tell me what this is a sign of, what does it mean? server1% more messages.0 Dec 02 09:35:06 server1 bsd-gw: Inval id protocol request (65): AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA^\\2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: finster
6 Replies

7. Solaris

diff b/w /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

hi sirs can u tell the difference between /var/log/syslogs and /var/adm/messages in my working place i am having two servers. in one servers messages file is empty and syslog file is going on increasing.. and in another servers message file is going on increasing but syslog file is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/var/adm/messages vs /var/log/messages

The /var/adm/messages in Solaris seem to log more system messages/errors compared to /var/log/messages in Linux. I checked the log level in Linux and they seem OK. Is there any other log file that contains the messages or is it just that Linux doesn't log great many things? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomes1333
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

trying get the last /var/adm/messages

grep \"^`date "+%b %d %T"`\" /var/adm/messages | egrep \"emerg|alert|crit|err|warning\ but get an output like this ksh: alert: not found ksh: crit: not found ksh: err: not found ksh: warning": not found grep: can't open "19" grep: can't open "16:27:16"" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arch12
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Difference between /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

Hi, Is the contents in /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages are same?? Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vks47
3 Replies
BLHC(1) 						User Contributed Perl Documentation						   BLHC(1)

NAME
blhc - build log hardening check, checks build logs for missing hardening flags SYNOPSIS
blhc [options] <dpkg-buildpackage build log file>.. DESCRIPTION
blhc is a small tool which checks build logs for missing hardening flags. It's licensed under the GPL 3 or later. It's designed to check build logs generated by Debian's dpkg-buildpackage (or tools using dpkg-buildpackage like pbuilder or the official buildd build logs) to help maintainers detect missing hardening flags in their packages. Only gcc is detected as compiler at the moment. If other compilers support hardening flags as well, please report them. If there's no output, no flags are missing and the build log is fine. OPTIONS
--all Force check for all +all (+pie, +bindnow) hardening flags. By default it's auto detected. --arch architecture Set the specific architecture (e.g. amd64, armel, etc.), automatically disables hardening flags not available on this architecture. Is detected automatically if dpkg-buildpackage is used. --bindnow Force check for all +bindnow hardening flags. By default it's auto detected. --buildd Special mode for buildds when automatically parsing log files. The following changes are in effect: o Print tags instead of normal warnings, see "BUILDD TAGS" for a list of possible tags. o Don't check hardening flags in old log files (if dpkg-dev << 1.16.1 is detected). o Don't require Term::ANSIColor. o Return exit code 0, unless there was a error (-I, -W messages don't count as error). --color Use colored (ANSI) output for warning messages. --ignore-arch arch Ignore build logs from architectures matching arch. arch is a string. Used to prevent false positives. This option can be specified multiple times. --ignore-arch-flag arch:flag Like --ignore-flag, but only ignore flag on arch. --ignore-arch-line arch:line Like --ignore-line, but only ignore line on arch. --ignore-flag flag Don't print an error when the specific flag is missing in a compiler line. flag is a string. Used to prevent false positives. This option can be specified multiple times. --ignore-line regex Ignore lines matching the given Perl regex. regex is automatically anchored at the beginning and end of the line to prevent false negatives. NOTE: Not the input lines are checked, but the lines which are displayed in warnings (which have line continuation resolved). Used to prevent false positives. This option can be specified multiple times. --pie Force check for all +pie hardening flags. By default it's auto detected. -h -? --help Print available options. --version Print version number and license. Auto detection for --pie and --bindnow only works if at least one command uses the required hardening flag (e.g. -fPIE). Then it's required for all other commands as well. EXAMPLES
Normal usage, parse a single log file. blhc path/to/log/file If there's no output, no flags are missing and the build log is fine. Parse multiple log files. The exit code is ORed over all files. blhc path/to/directory/with/log/files/* Don't treat missing "-g" as error: blhc --ignore-flag -g path/to/log/file Don't treat missing "-pie" on kfreebsd-amd64 as error: blhc --ignore-arch-flag kfreebsd-amd64:-pie path/to/log/file Ignore lines consisting exactly of "./script gcc file" which would cause a false positive. blhc --ignore-line './script gcc file' path/to/log/file Ignore lines matching "./script gcc file" somewhere in the line. blhc --ignore-line '.*./script gcc file.*' path/to/log/file Use blhc with pbuilder. pbuilder path/to/package.dsc | tee path/log/file blhc path/to/file || echo flags missing BUILDD TAGS
The following tags are used in --buildd mode. In braces the additional data which is displayed. I-hardening-wrapper-used The package uses hardening-wrapper which intercepts calls to gcc and adds hardening flags. The build log doesn't contain any hardening flags and thus can't be checked by blhc. W-compiler-flags-hidden (summary of hidden lines) Build log contains lines which hide the real compiler flags. For example: CC test-a.c CC test-b.c CC test-c.c LD test Most of the time either "export V=1" or "export verbose=1" in debian/rules fixes builds with hidden compiler flags. Sometimes ".SILENT" in a Makefile must be removed. And as last resort the Makefile must be patched to remove the "@"s hiding the real compiler commands. W-dpkg-buildflags-missing (summary of missing flags) CPPFLAGS, CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, LDFLAGS missing. I-invalid-cmake-used (version) By default CMake ignores CPPFLAGS thus missing those hardening flags. Debian patched CMake in versions 2.8.7-1 and 2.8.7-2 to respect CPPFLAGS, but this patch was rejected by upstream and later reverted in Debian. Thus those two versions show correct usage of CPPFLAGS even if the package doesn't correctly handle them (for example by passing them to CFLAGS). To prevent false negatives just blacklist those two versions. I-no-compiler-commands No compiler commands were detected. Either the log contains none or they were not correctly detected by blhc (please report the bug in this case). EXIT STATUS
The exit status is a "bit mask", each listed status is ORed when the error condition occurs to get the result. 0 Success. 1 No compiler commands were found. 2 Invalid arguments/options given to blhc. 4 Non verbose build. 8 Missing hardening flags. 16 Hardening wrapper detected, no tests performed. 32 Invalid CMake version used. See I-invalid-cmake-used under "BUILDD TAGS" for a detailed explanation. AUTHOR
Simon Ruderich, <simon@ruderich.org> Thanks to to Bernhard R. Link <brlink@debian.org> and Jaria Alto <jari.aalto@cante.net> for their valuable input and suggestions. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2012 by Simon Ruderich This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>. SEE ALSO
hardening-check(1), dpkg-buildflags(1) perl v5.14.2 2012-06-27 BLHC(1)