Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris /var/adm/messages not updating Post 302409337 by methyl on Wednesday 31st of March 2010 07:15:58 PM
Old 03-31-2010
Please post the contents of syslog.conf before and after the change.

If (and only if) the new syslog.conf is valid, are you in a position to reboot the server?

Btw. There are established techniques for dealing with the size of /var/adm/messages . Giving it space to grow unbounded is not one of them. Renaming the file is not one either. You are dealing with an open file from an active process.

On most systems the system logging process will fail if the log file tries to exceed 2 Gb or if /var/adm runs out of disc space.

How big is the original /var/adm/messages file which may have prompted you to try to relocate the log?

Last edited by methyl; 03-31-2010 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: assorted clarifications

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Messages in /var/adm

Just want to check with all of you out there what does the following warning means in my "messages" file in /var/adm the warning is Prevous Time Adjustment Incomplete , does it mean my hard ware is faulty if so which piece of hardware it is ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: owls
1 Replies

2. Solaris

/var/adm/messages- Help

Solaris 8/ sun 420R Checked /var/adm/messages file and got the following message: Dec 4 16:40:05 serverXYZ ConfigProvider: get_pkg_instdate: getdate failed for the standard C locale (7) Does anyone know what this means? Looked up getdate but do not understand.... Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: finster
1 Replies

3. Solaris

/var/adm/messages

I'm running a Solaris 9 box with Oracle databases on it. I'm getting the following messages in my /var/adm/messages log "Jun 24 12:30:32 sundb01 bootpd: IP address not found: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" ...where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is DHCP IP addresses of Windows 2000 workstations in the organisation. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/var/adm/messages

Hi, No log entry is found in messages files. The file size is 0. We are using Solaris 9. Anyone knows what could be wrong. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FrankC
3 Replies

5. Solaris

/var/adm/messages

Hello Friends, I am geting the folowing error in /var/adm/message is it disl related problem? if yes.. how to check all the disk are perfect or not? Sep 15 06:01:12 scsi: WARNING: /pci@1f,700000/scsi@2/sd@2,0 (sd7): Sep 15 06:01:12 Error for Command: write(10) Error Level:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bullz26
5 Replies

6. Solaris

/var/adm/messages

Check message file and result posted below. Can anyone tell me what this is a sign of, what does it mean? server1% more messages.0 Dec 02 09:35:06 server1 bsd-gw: Inval id protocol request (65): AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA^\\2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: finster
6 Replies

7. Solaris

diff b/w /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

hi sirs can u tell the difference between /var/log/syslogs and /var/adm/messages in my working place i am having two servers. in one servers messages file is empty and syslog file is going on increasing.. and in another servers message file is going on increasing but syslog file is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/var/adm/messages vs /var/log/messages

The /var/adm/messages in Solaris seem to log more system messages/errors compared to /var/log/messages in Linux. I checked the log level in Linux and they seem OK. Is there any other log file that contains the messages or is it just that Linux doesn't log great many things? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomes1333
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

trying get the last /var/adm/messages

grep \"^`date "+%b %d %T"`\" /var/adm/messages | egrep \"emerg|alert|crit|err|warning\ but get an output like this ksh: alert: not found ksh: crit: not found ksh: err: not found ksh: warning": not found grep: can't open "19" grep: can't open "16:27:16"" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arch12
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Difference between /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

Hi, Is the contents in /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages are same?? Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vks47
3 Replies
grablogs.conf(4)						   File Formats 						  grablogs.conf(4)

NAME
grablogs.conf - grablogs configuration for libgrablogs.so of the plugins of gnome-system-log file SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/gnome-system-log/plugins/grablogs.conf DESCRIPTION
The libgrablogs.so is a plugin for gnome-system-log(1), it colloct the log files from the system as many as possible. grablogs.conf is a configuration file that contains a set of lines mixed with sh(1) syntax codes and individual log files. libgrablogs.so will read the file try to get a log files list for gnome-system-log(1). Users can copy the file into $HOME/.gnome2/gnome-system-log/plugins/`uname -p` to overwrite the system default one. The grablogs.conf file contains the following configuration categories: [configs] Each line under this category is interpreted as a config file of System. The plugin will open the config file and try to find all system paths of the logs. [commands] Each line under this category is interpreted as a shell command and will be execute through a pipe. And each line of the out- put of the command will be interpreted as a log path. [logs] Each line under this category is interpreted as a log path. FILES
/usr/lib/gnome-system-log/plugins/grablogs.conf The system default configuration file for the plugin libgrablogs.so $HOME/.gnome2/gnome-system-log/plugins/`uname -p`/grablogs.conf The user specific configuration file for the plugin libgrablogs.so EMAMPLE
[configs] /etc/syslog.conf [commands] for i in `svcs -aH -o FMRI | grep -v lrc `; do svcprop -p restarter/logfile $i 2>/dev/null || svcprop -q -p restarter/alt_logfile $i 2>/dev/null ; done [logs] /var/log/messages /var/log/secure /var/log/maillog /var/log/cron /var/log/Xorg.0.log /var/log/XFree86.0.log /var/log/auth.log /var/log/cups/error_log SEE ALSO
gnome-system-log(1), pipelog.conf(1) gnome-utils 2.16.0 13 Oct 2006 grablogs.conf(4)