Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with pipes on infinite streams Post 302408049 by alister on Saturday 27th of March 2010 11:51:15 PM
Old 03-28-2010
You can run the stream generator in the background, asynchronously, and use a named pipe to communicate with it:
Code:
mkfifo sg_pipe
stream_generator > sg_pipe &
head -n1 sg_pipe
kill %?stream

Regards,
Alister

---------- Post updated at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:38 PM ----------

For the example code you used in your original post:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
counter() {
  seq 1000 | while read NUM; do
    echo $NUM
    echo "debug: $NUM" >&2 
    sleep 0.1 # slow it down so we know when this loop really ends
  done
}

mkfifo p
counter | grep --line-buffered "[27]" > p &
head -n1 p
kill %?counter

Outputs:
Code:
$ ./tokland.sh 
debug: 1
debug: 2

Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

STREAMS

Hi Everyone I am building some A Class HP boxes as web proxy servers, have just installed HP-UX 11.00 and am starting to configure one according to our standard build policy. However on the A Class I just happened to place the software depot this error message keeps popping up every 2 mins: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alwayslearningunix
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

PIPEs and Named PIPEs (FIFO) Buffer size

Hello! How I can increase or decrease predefined pipe buffer size? System FreeBSD 4.9 and RedHat Linux 9.0 Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jus
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with pipes

I have written the following program. The function of this prog is to read data from a file(source.c) and write into another file(dest.c) using pipes. I have just written a line in the source file.Im able to compile and run the program without errors. But the data is not written onto the other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: afser
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

infinite while do loop problem

hi all, this is how my scrip looks like #!/bin/sh bindir='/opt/apps/script/bin' datadir='/opt/apps/script/data' dir='/opt/apps/script' while : ; do ls -1rt /opt/apps/script/data/check.txt*|tail -1 > /dev/null 2>&1 if ;then chmod +rwx $bindir/dummy2.sh ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tententen
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problem using pipes with "ls"

Hi all, I tried the following command $ find / -name xyx | ls -l so logically it should show the listing of directory xyz , assuming there's only one instance of xyz . But the above command shows the listing of current directory instead. I got the desired result using it in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bijeet_sunny
4 Replies

6. Programming

Problem with pipes

problem solved. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: superfons
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with call of Java Programm & return code handling & output to several streams.

Hello Everybody, thanks in advance for spending some time in my problem. My problem is this: I want to call a java-Programm out of my shell skript, check if die return code is right, and split the output to the normal output and into a file. The following code doesn't work right, because in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danifunny
2 Replies

8. Programming

please help a problem in client-server ipc message 2 pipes communication simple example

I want to have a message send & receive through 2 half-duplex pipes Flow of data top half pipe stdin--->parent(client) fd1--->pipe1-->child(server) fd1 bottom half pipe child(server) fd2---->pipe2--->parent(client) fd2--->stdout I need to have boundary structed message... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ouou
1 Replies

9. Programming

Problem with Pipes => Only works first pipe

Hi! I'm having problems with pipes... I need comunnications with childs processes and parents, but only one child can comunnicate with parent (first child), others childs can't. A brief of code: if(pipe(client1r)<0){ perror("pipe"); } ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: serpens11
1 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with infinite loop problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: My problem is an infinite loop when i press any other key other then Y or y in the while loop. what i want it to do is return to the normal script outside of it if pressing N or n or keep asking the same question if its any other... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ren_kun
4 Replies
IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		      IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream(3pm)

NAME
"IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream" - stream-based protocols using lines of text SYNOPSIS
Most likely this class will be subclassed to implement a particular network protocol. package Net::Async::HelloWorld; use strict; use warnings; use base qw( IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream ); sub on_read_line { my $self = shift; my ( $line ) = @_; if( $line =~ m/^HELLO (.*)/ ) { my $name = $1; $self->invoke_event( on_hello => $name ); } } sub send_hello { my $self = shift; my ( $name ) = @_; $self->write_line( "HELLO $name" ); } This small example elides such details as error handling, which a real protocol implementation would be likely to contain. DESCRIPTION
EVENTS
The following events are invoked, either using subclass methods or CODE references in parameters: on_read_line $line Invoked when a new complete line of input is received. PARAMETERS
The following named parameters may be passed to "new" or "configure": on_read_line => CODE CODE reference for the "on_read_line" event. METHODS
$lineprotocol->write_line( $text ) Writes a line of text to the transport stream. The text will have the end-of-line marker appended to it; $text should not end with it. AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2012-10-24 IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream(3pm)