Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Vim tips and tricks
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Vim tips and tricks Post 302405595 by deeceeds on Friday 19th of March 2010 08:41:03 AM
Old 03-19-2010
We can type /afs-afs at the command prompt to search "afs-afs".

We can also hit "*" in escape mode and vim will search the word under the cursor.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar tricks

Hello there, Is there anyway to make the tar utility print the contents of the files inside it (not list the files, but rather their contents) sequentially from the command line? What I ultimately would like to do is to have a way of printing the contents of each file in the tar archive... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neked
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need couple of ksh tricks please

1) I ran myScript with 2 arguments, I meant to use 3 if I do r my, it will rerun it with the 2 arguments. is there a way I can do r my and add a third argument at the end? 2) say I did myAcript.ksh 2 5 7 8 I realise my typo. is there an easy way to redo the command replacing A with S? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
4 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Solaris tips and tricks

What do you think could we open new top topic with tips and tricks and to show to other users some tricks what do we know like dtrace , new virtual server , how to add new users etc. This is only suggestion (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed Tricks

I have a file which containd a string "old" and I need to replace all old with "new" if and only if it is a string not part of a string like Gold or fold etc. I tried with sed like below echo "old gold old" | sed 's/old/new/g' It doesn't give the desired output, It give "old Gnew new".... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Very Importan - Vim Settings - Error while opening a File using vim

I downloaded vim.7.2 and compiled the vim source . Added the vim binary path to PATH (Because iam not the root of the box) when i load the file using vim it throws me an error Error detected while processing /home2/e3003091/.vimrc: line 2: E185: Cannot find color scheme darkblue line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Basic VI tricks

I found a decent guide of VI basic tricks. This guide does expect you to have a decent understanding of VI. It does not go over very much beginner related. vi Manual (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies
FS_NEWALIAS(1)						       AFS Command Reference						    FS_NEWALIAS(1)

NAME
fs_newalias - Creates a new alias for a cell SYNOPSIS
fs newalias [-alias] <alias name> [-name] <cell name> [-help] DESCRIPTION
The fs newalias command is used when the AFS Cache Manager is in Dynamic Root (-dynroot) mode. It creates a symbolic link in /afs from an alias to the full name of the cell. It also creates a symbolic link from the alias prepended with "." to the full name of the cell prepended with ".", the convention for access to the read/write version of the "root.cell" volume of that cell. This command is used to supplement aliases created via the CellAlias configuration file when afsd starts. Traditionally, these aliases would be created by the local AFS administrator by creating symbolic links in the "root.afs" volume. Such symlinks do not appear when Dynamic Root is enabled because, with Dynamic Root, the Cache Manager does not mount or look at the "root.afs" volume. This alias capability is a replacement that allows such short names to be created under client control. CAUTIONS
Aliases created with fs newcell are only temporary and will be lost when the AFS Cache Manager is restarted or the client machine is rebooted. In order to make the alias permanent, it must be put into the CellAlias file. There is no way to remove an alias once created without restarting the AFS Cache Manager. OPTIONS
-alias <alias name> This is the short name to which the user wants to map the real cell name. -name <cell name> This is the real cell name. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
This command has no output. EXAMPLES
There are two ways to call fs newalias: % fs newalias openafs openafs.org % fs newalias -alias openafs -name openafs.org Both of the above examples create an alias "openafs" for the cell "openafs.org". Two links will be created in /afs: /afs/openafs -> /afs/openafs.org /afs/.openafs -> /afs/.openafs.org PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be logged in as the local superuser root. SEE ALSO
afsd(8), CellAlias(5), fs_listaliases(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007 Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Jason Edgecombe for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_NEWALIAS(1)