Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ascii to hex
Top Forums Programming ascii to hex Post 302405353 by Kingbruce on Thursday 18th of March 2010 03:31:57 PM
Old 03-18-2010
Bug

Code:
cat infile.txt | od -An -t dC | tr -d "\n" | sed 's/ 10 / 10~ /g' | tr "~" "\n"

will take an input file, and provide all the hexadecimal representations of each character, putting output out on separate lines (for separate input lines).[/QUOTE]

Thank your for your suggestion. But the code you provided generates a output like this :
Code:
104  101  108  108  111   10
119  111  114  108  100   10

But i need the strings in the above mentioned format like :
Code:
%68%65%6c%6c%6f%a
%77%6f%72%6c%64%a

Later on i want to feed a Java-Script with the output.
When i use the unescape() command i want to have the plain text again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

converting hex to ascii

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone knows how to change hex code back into ascii. when i process a form: " / " turn to " %2F " " @ " turns to " %40 " " ' " turns to " %27 " " ( " turns to " %28 " " ) " turns to " %29 " this is my code so far: order.txt thanks, primal p.s.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: primal
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ascii To Hex

How will I display on screen a UNIX ascii file with its HEX equivalent. I want to check whether 0D 0A is coming at the end of the file which I am generating from UNIX. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: augustinep
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

convert hex to ascii text

Is there a command to convert hex characters into their respective ascii values? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
5 Replies

4. HP-UX

Hex characters of ascii file

Hi, Whats the command or how do you display the hexadecimal characters of an ascii file. thanks Bud (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: budrito
2 Replies

5. Linux

source code ASCII to HEx

Is there are any source code in ANSI C to convert ASCII to Hexa decimal. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Thippeswamy
1 Replies

6. Programming

converaion ASCII to HEX

anyone knows any formulae or flow chart or procedure to convert ASCII characters into HEXA values... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thippeswamy
4 Replies

7. Programming

After converting the hexstr to Hex and storing the Hex in a char*

Hi All, My main intension of is to convert the Hexstring stored in a char* into hex and then prefixing it with "0x" and suffix it with ',' This has to be done for all the hexstring char* is NULL. Store the result prefixed with "0x" and suffixed with ',' in another char* and pass it to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rvan
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting hex to ascii/decimal

I am writing a bash script to do some parsing on a log and I am running into a problem when it comes to converting only certain sections of the file from hex to ascii or hex to decimal. Data Example: The hex values after Hardware and SW Version I need to convert from Hex to ASCII and the... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shiftkey
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Hex to Ascii in a Ascii file

Hi All, I have an ascii file in which few columns are having hex values which i need to convert into ascii. Kindly suggest me what command can be used in unix shell scripting? Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
2 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Convert "hex" foldername to "ascii"

So, I have a folder, containing subdirs like this: 52334d50 52365245 524b4450 524f3350 52533950 52535050 52555550 now I want to go ahead and rename all those folder: hex -> ascii (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
8 Replies
PERROR(3F)																PERROR(3F)

NAME
perror, gerror, ierrno - get system error messages SYNOPSIS
subroutine perror (string) character*(*) string subroutine gerror (string) character*(*) string character*(*) function gerror() function ierrno() DESCRIPTION
Perror will write a message to fortran logical unit 0 appropriate to the last detected system error. String will be written preceding the standard error message. Gerror returns the system error message in character variable string. Gerror may be called either as a subroutine or as a function. Ierrno will return the error number of the last detected system error. This number is updated only when an error actually occurs. Most routines and I/O statements that might generate such errors return an error code after the call; that value is a more reliable indicator of what caused the error condition. FILES
/usr/lib/libU77.a SEE ALSO
intro(2), perror(3) D. L. Wasley, Introduction to the f77 I/O Library BUGS
String in the call to perror can be no longer than 127 characters. The length of the string returned by gerror is determined by the calling program. NOTES
UNIX system error codes are described in intro(2). The f77 I/O error codes and their meanings are: 100 ``error in format'' 101 ``illegal unit number'' 102 ``formatted i/o not allowed'' 103 ``unformatted i/o not allowed'' 104 ``direct i/o not allowed'' 105 ``sequential i/o not allowed'' 106 ``can't backspace file'' 107 ``off beginning of record'' 108 ``can't stat file'' 109 ``no * after repeat count'' 110 ``off end of record'' 111 ``truncation failed'' 112 ``incomprehensible list input'' 113 ``out of free space'' 114 ``unit not connected'' 115 ``invalid data for integer format term'' 116 ``invalid data for logical format term'' 117 ``'new' file exists'' 118 ``can't find 'old' file'' 119 ``opening too many files or unknown system error'' 120 ``requires seek ability'' 121 ``illegal argument'' 122 ``negative repeat count'' 123 ``illegal operation for unit'' 124 ``invalid data for d, e, f, or g format term'' 4.2 Berkeley Distribution June 7, 1985 PERROR(3F)