Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reverse hexdump without xxd
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reverse hexdump without xxd Post 302404517 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 16th of March 2010 05:46:51 PM
Old 03-16-2010
xxd is available on most linux distros, it just may not be installed on yours, for whatever reason. It is definitely part of the standard install AFAIK.
try
Code:
find / -type f -name xxd

xxd(1): make hexdump/do reverse - Linux man page

Duplicating what it does is not simple, IMO, because it requires a parser, endian understanding, etc. You are far better off finding it on your box, or installing it.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reverse *

when I do $ ls z* List of all files begining with 'z'. But what if I want to do a reverse lookup. Just for interest sake ;) $ ls ztr should be same as $ ls ztr* $ ls zt* $ ls z* (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: azmathshaikh
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

reverse of basename

Hi, Can someone let me know how to find the reverse of the basename i.e i have /apps/tiv/pmon/xxxx.dat and I want /apps/tiv/pmon/ Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: braindrain
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reverse FTP

Hi Everybody, I want to write a script in unix which will automatically FTP a .txt file from my client machine D: drive(Windows) That is I want to FTP a file from my PC to UNIX box but this should be done from UNIX box by a shell script. (i.e. I will invoke the script in UNIX and FTP will be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh123
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

reverse sort

Hello, How do i sort a csv file. i should be sorting column1(varchar),column2*(varchar) in ascending and column4 in descending order(numeric datatype). I tried few combinations of sort, but doesn't seem to be getting the right result. sort -t "," -k 1 -k 2 -k 4nr file any help is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: markjason
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reverse lookup

hey guys, can anybody help me out here on the following: grep '^\{1,3\}\.\{1,3\}\.\{1,3\}\.\{1,3\}$' ravi.txt mary.txt lisa.txt https://www.unix.com/images/misc/progress.gif i.e what i did was found ip addreses from different files and then i want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravis83
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Puzzled with hexdump, hd and ln

How to create a symbolic link to a command with certain argument? When I man hexdump, it is said in the man page that "-C Canonical hex+ASCII display...Calling the command hd implies this option". Actually it is. hd equals to hexdump -C. And then I examined the ln command but find it is a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

reverse matching

Hello guys How can I use egrep to match word1 but not word2...word1. What I mean suppose that I have the following text, and my word1=pizza and word2=eat I hate to eat pizza because I ma eating it each day Pizza is good I like vegetarian and Italian Pizza eating healthy food is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fdc2suxs
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to perform a hexdump using dd from start point to end point?

hi, I would like to ask or is it possible to dump a hex using dd from starting point to end point just like the "xxd -s 512 -l 512 <bin file>" I know the redirect hexdump -C but i can't figure it out the combination options of dd. Hope someone can share their knowledge.. Thanks in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit file hexadecimal with xxd

Hi all: I need edit a hexadecimal file. for example: 000d530: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 493a 004f ............I:.O 000d540: 6374 2032 3820 3230 3135 2031 393a 3234 ct 28 2015 19:24 I need to cut the chain(black) and corresponding to hexadecimal from the chain at the end of file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rodrigo0461
5 Replies
JCAT(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JCAT(1)

NAME
jcat - Show the contents of a block in the file system journal. SYNOPSIS
jcat [-f fstype ] [-vV] [-i imgtype] [-o imgoffset] [-b dev_sector_size] image [images] ] [ inode ] jblk DESCRIPTION
jcat shows the contents of a journal block in the file system journal. The inode address of the journal can be given or the default loca- tion will be used. Note that the block address is a journal block address and not a file system block. The raw output is given to STDOUT. ARGUMENTS
-f fstype Specify the file system type. Use '-f list' to list the supported file system types. If not given, autodetection methods are used. -i imgtype Identify the type of image file, such as raw or split. Use '-i list' to list the supported types. If not given, autodetection meth- ods are used. -o imgoffset The sector offset where the file system starts in the image. -b dev_sector_size The size, in bytes, of the underlying device sectors. If not given, the value in the image format is used (if it exists) or 512-bytes is assumed. -V Display version -v verbose output image [images] One (or more if split) disk or partition images whose format is given with '-i'. [inode] The inode where the file system journal can be found. jblk The journal block to display. EXAMPLES
jcat -f linux-ext3 img.dd 34 | xxd AUTHOR
Brian Carrier <carrier at sleuthkit dot org> Send documentation updates to <doc-updates at sleuthkit dot org> JCAT(1)