Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Difference between file descriptor and file pointer Post 302402935 by jimmyuk on Thursday 11th of March 2010 01:56:12 AM
Old 03-11-2010
Difference between file descriptor and file pointer

hi....,
can anyone tell me what is the exact difference between file descriptor and file pointer...... and why file descriptor takes integer value???Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file activity (open/closed) file descriptor info using KORN shell scripting

I am trying to find a way to check the current status of a file. Such as some cron job processes are dependent on the completion of others. if a file is currently being accessed / modified or simply open state I will wait until it is done being processed before attempting the next process on that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary Dunn
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Descriptor Help

What is a file descriptor in Unix?? How to find a file descriptor of a file in Unix?? Does it have anything to do with the Inode numbers?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

confusion (file pointer and file descripter)

Hi everybody, i am newbie to unix and confused with file pointers and file descripters. could anyone help me to clear my doubts .. when we call unix system calls to create a file then we are dealing wih file descripters i think file descripters are also normals file as stored inhard disks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnray31
1 Replies

4. Programming

Get the file descriptor of a socket file. C vs Python.

Hi, I want to validate that a file is a socket file on Linux. I know I can do this using the S_ISSOCK macro, but I am not sure how to get the file descriptor for the socket file. For example, I know that /tmp/mapping-foo is a socket file. In Python I can do something like this: >>> import... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goon12
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Descriptor

Hello All, Im opening a file desciptor in perl and sending data using print CMD "$xyz". is there a limit to the length of the string that I can give to this CMD at a time. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rimser9
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Descriptor

Hi What the below path contains? /proc/<pid>/fd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
1 Replies

7. Programming

Copying and overwriting a file using file descriptor

Hi , i have two basic requirement on linux platform . I am using C language to do this . 1) copying one file to another (assuming i know their file descriptors) 2) Overwriting a file using it file descriptor . Please guide. regards Aki (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meet123321
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

file descriptor KSH

Hello, How can i use file descriptor in a script to read 2 files at the same time and extract line 200 from file 1 and line 500 from file 2. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

file descriptor count

I am trying to write a script which will only show me the file descriptor count for a process/pid. My script will return me the count only not the whole output. For example, I would like my script to return the output 23 this case, not the whole output. Can anybody please help me how do I get... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohullah
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable File Descriptor

Greetings. I am happily using constructs like the following; I have set -x to show fine distinctions. $ exec 4> afile + exec + 4> afile $ print -u4 This is the first line in afileAs you can see from the -x expansion, the shell performed the exec command and redirected file descriptor to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpaskudniak
4 Replies
dup(2)								   System Calls 							    dup(2)

NAME
dup - duplicate an open file descriptor SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int dup(int fildes); DESCRIPTION
The dup() function returns a new file descriptor having the following in common with the original open file descriptor fildes: o same open file (or pipe) o same file pointer (that is, both file descriptors share one file pointer) o same access mode (read, write or read/write). The new file descriptor is set to remain open across exec functions (see fcntl(2)). The file descriptor returned is the lowest one available. The dup(fildes) function call is equivalent to: fcntl(fildes, F_DUPFD, 0) RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, a non-negative integer representing the file descriptor is returned. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The dup() function will fail if: EBADF The fildes argument is not a valid open file descriptor. EINTR A signal was caught during the execution of the dup() function. EMFILE The process has too many open files (see getrlimit(2)). ENOLINK The fildes argument is on a remote machine and the link to that machine is no longer active. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Async-Signal-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
close(2), creat(2), exec(2), fcntl(2), getrlimit(2), open(2), pipe(2), dup2(3C), lockf(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 28 Dec 1996 dup(2)