Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Handling parameters in Shell Functions Post 302402483 by Scott on Wednesday 10th of March 2010 02:31:03 AM
Old 03-10-2010
Here's how zou can dynamically create the arrays.

From some of your other code (like where does "file" come from) it's not so clear, but perhaps this will get you started.

Code:
CreateArray() {
  i=0
  ls | while read line; do
    if [ ... ]; then 
      eval ${1}_file_array[\${#${1}_file_array[@]}]="$line"
      eval ${1}_db_array[\${#${1}_db_array[@]}]="${line%.*}"
      eval ${1}_table_array[\${#${1}_table_array[@]}]="${line#*.}"
      i=$((i + 1))
    fi
  done
  eval ${1}_count=$i
  return $i
}

CreateArray src

j=0
while [ $j -lt ${#src_file_array[@]} ]; do
  j=$((j + 1))
done

Last edited by Scott; 03-10-2010 at 03:59 AM.. Reason: ls

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing command line parameters to functions - sh

All, I have a sh script of the following tune: function a () { #functionality.. } function b () { #functionnlity.. } function check () { # this function checks for env and if all fine call build } function usage () { #sh usage details } function build () { #calls either a or b or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script functions

Simple shell script : date test_fn() { echo "function within test shell script " } on the shell prompt I run > . test Then I invoke the function on the command line as below : test_fn() It echos the line function within test shell script and works as expected. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_subrahmanian
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

functions in c shell??

i've been told that c shell does not support functions/subroutines is that true? if not can somebody give me the basic syntax for creating a function. it would very much appreciated! thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ballazrus
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Functions in C-Shell

Hi All, I have a very long code called myfunction -> "if ..... else if .... else if ..end if " And i have several other codes which need to call the "myfunction" code. How can C-shell call a function "B]myfunction" ? Can any body give me an example ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Raynon
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling shell functions from another shell script

Hi, I have a query .. i have 2 scripts say 1.sh and 2.sh 1.sh contains many functions written using shell scripts. 2.sh is a script which needs to call the functions definded in 1.sh function calls are with arguments. Can some one tell me how to call the functions from 2.sh? Thanks in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the List of functions with modified parameters

Hi I have 2 files a.c and a.bak where I changed long to int using awk script. I want to get the list of functions whose parameters got modified for eg: fun ( long a, long b ) might be changed to fun ( int a, int b ) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sivaswami
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling Parameters in Perl

Hi All, I'm pretty new to the forum and also to UNIX. I have a requirement for which I need some help. I have a script (example.script) where I get user inputs using the read command. I would need to pass the read-fetched input to a perl command (explained below) in my script. The part which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath.gct
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute functions or initiate functions as command line parameters for below requirement?

I have 7 functions those need to be executed as command line inputs, I tried with below code it’s not executing function. If I run the ./script 2 then fun2 should execute , how to initiate that function I tried case and if else also, how to initiate function from command line if then... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saku
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass parameters to a function and running functions in parallel

Hi , I have a script which is using a text file as I/P. I want a code where it reads n lines from this file and pass the parameters to a function and now this script should run in such a way where a function can be called in parallel with different parameters. Please find below my script, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ravindra Swan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python passing multiple parameters to functions

Hi, I am a beginner in python programming. In my python script have a main function which calls several other functions. The main function gets its input by reading lines from a input text file. I call the main function for every line in input text file through a loop. def main(line): var1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
6 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitStringyEUser3Contributed Perl DocumePerl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitStringyEval(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitStringyEval - Write "eval { my $foo; bar($foo) }" instead of "eval "my $foo; bar($foo);"". AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
The string form of "eval" is recompiled every time it is executed, whereas the block form is only compiled once. Also, the string form doesn't give compile-time warnings. eval "print $foo"; # not ok eval {print $foo}; # ok CONFIGURATION
There is an "allow_includes" boolean option for this Policy. If set, then strings that look like they only include a single "use" or "require" statement (with the possible following statement that consists of a single number) are allowed. With this option set, the following are flagged as indicated: eval 'use Foo'; # ok eval 'require Foo'; # ok eval "use $thingy;"; # ok eval "require $thingy;"; # ok eval "use $thingy; 1;"; # ok eval "require $thingy; 1;"; # ok eval 'use Foo; blah;'; # still not ok eval 'require Foo; 2; 1;'; # still not ok eval 'use $thingy;'; # still not ok eval 'no Foo'; # still not ok If you don't understand why the number is allowed, see Perl::Critic::Policy::ErrorHandling::RequireCheckingReturnValueOfEval. This option inspired by Ricardo SIGNES' Perl::Critic::Policy::Lax::ProhibitStringyEval::ExceptForRequire. SEE ALSO
Perl::Critic::Policy::ControlStrucutres::RequireBlockGrep Perl::Critic::Policy::ControlStrucutres::RequireBlockMap AUTHOR
Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer <jeff@imaginative-software.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Imaginative Software Systems. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitStringyEval(3)