Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Handling parameters in Shell Functions Post 302402382 by bharath.gct on Tuesday 9th of March 2010 04:56:18 PM
Old 03-09-2010
Handling parameters in Shell Functions

Hi,

Please help me with the below situation where I have to handle the parameters passed to a function in a unique way.

Below is the code, which I am trying to execute. I basically want to pass the parameter to a function, where I am trying to get user input into array(s). I want to name the array(s) based on the parameter. Please help me do it!!

Code:

#! /bin/sh

#GET_TABLE FUNCTION
get_table()
{
  i=0;

set -A $1_file_array NULL;
  set -A $1_db_array NULL;
  set -A $1_table_array NULL;

echo " Please enter tables that are affected in '<DBName>.<Tablename(s)>' format      :"

while read file
  do
    if [ ${#file} -gt 0 ]; then
      $1_file_array[$i]=$file
      $1_db_array[$i]=${file%.*}
      $1_table_array[$i]=${file#*.}
      i=`expr $i + 1`
    fi
  done
  $1_count=${#$1_file_array[@]}
  return $1_count
}

# CALL FUNCTION GET_TABLE WITH 'SRC' AS PARM
get_table src

# DISPLAY THE LOADED ARRAY
j=0;
src_count=$?
while [ $j -lt src_count ]
do
# BELOW ARE THE ARRAY NAMES I WISH TO SEE
    echo "File: ${src_file_array[$j]}"
    echo "DB: ${src_db_array[$j]}"
    echo "Table: ${src_table_array[$j]}"
    j=`expr $j + 1`
done

Please let me know for any questions.

Thanks
Bharath

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing command line parameters to functions - sh

All, I have a sh script of the following tune: function a () { #functionality.. } function b () { #functionnlity.. } function check () { # this function checks for env and if all fine call build } function usage () { #sh usage details } function build () { #calls either a or b or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script functions

Simple shell script : date test_fn() { echo "function within test shell script " } on the shell prompt I run > . test Then I invoke the function on the command line as below : test_fn() It echos the line function within test shell script and works as expected. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_subrahmanian
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

functions in c shell??

i've been told that c shell does not support functions/subroutines is that true? if not can somebody give me the basic syntax for creating a function. it would very much appreciated! thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ballazrus
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Functions in C-Shell

Hi All, I have a very long code called myfunction -> "if ..... else if .... else if ..end if " And i have several other codes which need to call the "myfunction" code. How can C-shell call a function "B]myfunction" ? Can any body give me an example ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Raynon
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling shell functions from another shell script

Hi, I have a query .. i have 2 scripts say 1.sh and 2.sh 1.sh contains many functions written using shell scripts. 2.sh is a script which needs to call the functions definded in 1.sh function calls are with arguments. Can some one tell me how to call the functions from 2.sh? Thanks in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the List of functions with modified parameters

Hi I have 2 files a.c and a.bak where I changed long to int using awk script. I want to get the list of functions whose parameters got modified for eg: fun ( long a, long b ) might be changed to fun ( int a, int b ) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sivaswami
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling Parameters in Perl

Hi All, I'm pretty new to the forum and also to UNIX. I have a requirement for which I need some help. I have a script (example.script) where I get user inputs using the read command. I would need to pass the read-fetched input to a perl command (explained below) in my script. The part which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath.gct
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute functions or initiate functions as command line parameters for below requirement?

I have 7 functions those need to be executed as command line inputs, I tried with below code it’s not executing function. If I run the ./script 2 then fun2 should execute , how to initiate that function I tried case and if else also, how to initiate function from command line if then... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saku
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass parameters to a function and running functions in parallel

Hi , I have a script which is using a text file as I/P. I want a code where it reads n lines from this file and pass the parameters to a function and now this script should run in such a way where a function can be called in parallel with different parameters. Please find below my script, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ravindra Swan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python passing multiple parameters to functions

Hi, I am a beginner in python programming. In my python script have a main function which calls several other functions. The main function gets its input by reading lines from a input text file. I call the main function for every line in input text file through a loop. def main(line): var1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
6 Replies
ROUND(3)								 1								  ROUND(3)

round - Rounds a float

SYNOPSIS
float round (float $val, [int $precision], [int $mode = PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the rounded value of $val to specified $precision (number of digits after the decimal point). $precision can also be negative or zero (default). Note PHP doesn't handle strings like "12,300.2" correctly by default. See converting from strings. PARAMETERS
o $val - The value to round o $precision - The optional number of decimal digits to round to. o $mode - Use one of the following constants to specify the mode in which rounding occurs. +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Constant | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | | | | PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP | | | | | | | Round $val up to $precision decimal places away | | | from zero, when it is half way there. Making 1.5 | | | into 2 and -1.5 into -2. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN | | | | | | | Round $val down to $precision decimal places | | | towards zero, when it is half way there. Making | | | 1.5 into 1 and -1.5 into -1. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN | | | | | | | Round $val to $precision decimal places towards | | | the next even value. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD | | | | | | | Round $val to $precision decimal places towards | | | the next odd value. | | | | +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ RETURN VALUES
The rounded value EXAMPLES
Example #1 round(3) examples <?php echo round(3.4); // 3 echo round(3.5); // 4 echo round(3.6); // 4 echo round(3.6, 0); // 4 echo round(1.95583, 2); // 1.96 echo round(1241757, -3); // 1242000 echo round(5.045, 2); // 5.05 echo round(5.055, 2); // 5.06 ?> Example #2 $mode examples <?php echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 10 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 9 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 10 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 9 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 9 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 8 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 8 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 9 ?> Example #3 $mode with precision examples <?php /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 1.6 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // -1.6 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 1.5 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // -1.5 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 1.6 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // -1.6 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 1.5 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // -1.5 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // -1.5 ?> CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | The $mode parameter was introduced. | | | | | 5.2.7 | | | | | | | The inner workings of round(3) was changed to | | | conform to the C99 standard. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ceil(3), floor(3), number_format(3). PHP Documentation Group ROUND(3)