Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: netstat output
Special Forums IP Networking netstat output Post 302399801 by pludi on Monday 1st of March 2010 03:50:17 PM
Old 03-01-2010
Ok, lets take it one column at a time:
  • Proto is the protocol used. tcp and udp should be pretty self-explanatory. icm is short for ICMP, which is a network control protocol (pings use ICMP echo/reply messages). The number at the end specifies if it's IPv4 or IPv6
  • Recv-Q and Send-Q are the receiving and sending queues. If those aren't zero, you're either sending much faster than the other side can read, or you're not reading fast enough yourself.
  • Local Address is the local IP and port used, while Foreign Address is the remote site and port.
  • State is the state (duh) of the connection. LISTEN means there's a local server listening, ESTABLISHED ...well should be clear, CLOSE_WAIT means you're waiting for confirmation that the connection can be closed. For more details, read up on the TCP protocol.
The second part are UNIX domain sockets, which are a kind of IPC, acting like a network socket.
  • The Address is the memory address used
  • The queues mean pretty much the same as above
  • The Inode is just that. In keeping with "everything is a file", UNIX sockets can be addressed via the respective inode on the filesystem
  • Addr is the "address", the "file" used.

For a more in-depth explanation I'd have to read up on it again.
This User Gave Thanks to pludi For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

output of NETSTAT

# netstat -in Name Mtu Network Address Ipkts Ierrs Opkts Oerrs Coll net1 1500 192.168 192.168.0.11 24508 0 12212 112931 2795 lo0 8232 127 127.0.0.1 42 0 42 0 0 atl0* 8232 none none No Statistics... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samprax
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

filtering a range of ports out of a netstat output

i'd like to grep a range of ports on a netstat -nt output, localaddress, say :1 to :1023. how do i do it via sed/awk/grep? Thanks, Marc (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcpascual
1 Replies

3. Solaris

netstat -an -- meaning of the output

Dear Experts, I put below command- could you please describe the outputs column- let me describe some them- col_1: (10.131.60.48.55880) The IP address of the local computer and the port number being used for this particular connection appear in the Local Address column. col_2:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

Difference in netstat -a and -an output.

Hi, Does anyone know why I get a different output when using "netstat -a" or "netstat -an" ?? # netstat -a | grep ts15r135 tcp 0 0 nbsol152.62736 ts15r135.23211 ESTABLISHED # netstat -an | grep 172.23.160.78 tcp 0 0 135.246.39.152.51954 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

interpreting netstat output

hi all, when I run- wcars1j5#netstat -an | grep 8090 127.0.0.1.8090 *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN wcars1j5# 1. does this mean that no one is connected to this port? Regards, akash (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akash_mahakode
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

Connections not shown in netstat output

I have a TCPIP server application (a Vendor package) which by default allows 10 connections. It provides a parameter to allow us to increase the maximum allowable connections in case it is needed. Intermittently this application is failing with maximum number of connections reached even when there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AIX_user
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Amount of Network Traffic info from netstat output

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how much traffic has been generated and received from netstat -s output (using Linux). I can see the output shows packet counts and Octet values, how would I correctly calculate how much traffic in and how much out? My output below: Ip: 88847576 total... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wilsonee
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

netstat -an output, pls. explain..

Hi, I have old SCO O/S. System keeps crashing. I made lot of changes to kernel but so for nothing helped. I wrote a script which takes netstat -an output every one minute. I saw some thing right before the system crashed. Not sure if this means anything.. uname -a SCO_SV djx2 3.2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

netstat output

Hi Team, Below is the output of netstat -an | grep 1533 tcp 0 0 17.18.18.12:583 10.3.2.0:1533 ESTABLISHED tcp 0 0 17.18.18.12:370 10.3.2.0:1533 ESTABLISHED Below is the o/p of netstat -a | grep server_name tcp 0 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Girish19
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Filtering netstat command output

Hi All, I am trying to collect the listen ports info from netstat command in centos 7 From that info i am trying to collect all the foreign address IP for those ports. I am using below script to do the same. netstat -an |grep -w "LISTEN" |grep -v "127.0.0.1" |awk '{print $4}' >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravani25
3 Replies
SNMPNETSTAT(1)							     Net-SNMP							    SNMPNETSTAT(1)

NAME
snmpnetstat - display networking status and configuration information from a network entity via SNMP SYNOPSIS
snmpnetstat [common options] [-Ca] [-Cn] AGENT snmpnetstat [common options] [-Ci] [-Co] [-Cr] [-Cn] [-Cs] AGENT snmpnetstat [common options] [-Ci] [-Cn] [-CI interface] AGENT [interval] snmpnetstat [common options] [-Ca] [-Cn] [-Cs] [-Cp protocol] AGENT DESCRIPTION
The snmpnetstat command symbolically displays the values of various network-related information retrieved from a remote system using the SNMP protocol. There are a number of output formats, depending on the options for the information presented. The first form of the com- mand displays a list of active sockets. The second form presents the values of other network-related information according to the option selected. Using the third form, with an interval specified, snmpnetstat will continuously display the information regarding packet traffic on the configured network interfaces. The fourth form displays statistics about the named protocol. AGENT identifies a target SNMP agent, which is instrumented to monitor the given objects. At its simplest, the AGENT specification will consist of a hostname or an IPv4 address. In this situation, the command will attempt communication with the agent, using UDP/IPv4 to port 161 of the given target host. See snmpcmd(1) for a full list of the possible formats for AGENT. OPTIONS
The options have the following meaning: common options Please see snmpcmd(1) for a list of possible values for common options as well as their descriptions. -Ca With the default display, show the state of all sockets; normally sockets used by server processes are not shown. -Ci Show the state of all of the network interfaces. The interface display provides a table of cumulative statistics regarding pack- ets transferred, errors, and collisions. The network addresses of the interface and the maximum transmission unit (``mtu'') are also dis- played. -Co Show an abbreviated interface status, giving octets in place of packets. This is useful when enquiring virtual interfaces (such as Frame-Relay circuits) on a router. -CI interface Show information only about this interface; used with an interval as described below. -Cn Show network addresses as numbers (normally snmpnetstat interprets addresses and attempts to display them symbolically). This option may be used with any of the display formats. -Cp protocol Show statistics about protocol, which is either a well-known name for a protocol or an alias for it. Some protocol names and aliases are listed in the file /etc/protocols. A null response typically means that there are no interesting numbers to report. The pro- gram will complain if protocol is unknown or if there is no statistics routine for it. -Cs Show per-protocol statistics. When used with the -Cr option, show routing statistics instead. -Cr Show the routing tables. When -Cs is also present, show per-protocol routing statistics instead of the routing tables. When snmpnetstat is invoked with an interval argument, it displays a running count of statistics related to network interfaces. interval is the number of seconds between reporting of statistics. The Active Sockets Display (default) The default display, for active sockets, shows the local and remote addresses, protocol, and the internal state of the protocol. Address formats are of the form ``host.port'' or ``network.port'' if a socket's address specifies a network but no specific host address. When known, the host and network addresses are displayed symbolically according to the data bases /etc/hosts and /etc/networks, respectively. If a symbolic name for an address is unknown, or if the -Cn option is specified, the address is printed numerically, according to the address family. For more information regarding the Internet ``dot format,'' refer to inet(3N). Unspeci- fied, or ``wildcard'', addresses and ports appear as ``*''. The Interface Display The interface display provides a table of cumulative statistics regarding packets transferred, errors, and col- lisions. The net- work addresses of the interface and the maximum transmission unit (``mtu'') are also displayed. The Routing Table Display The routing table display indicates the available routes and their status. Each route consists of a destination host or network and a gateway to use in forwarding pack- ets. The flags field shows the state of the route (``U'' if ``up''), whether the route is to a gateway (``G''), whether the route was created dynamically by a redirect (``D''), and whether the route has been modified by a re- direct (``M''). Direct routes are created for each interface attached to the local host; the gateway field for such entries shows the address of the outgoing inter- face. The interface entry indicates the network interface utilized for the route. The Interface Display with an Interval When snmpnetstat is invoked with an interval argument, it displays a running count of statistics related to network interfaces. This display consists of a column for the primary interface and a column summarizing information for all interfaces. The primary inter- face may be replaced with another interface with the -CI option. The first line of each screen of information contains a summary since the system was last rebooted. Subsequent lines of output show values accumulated over the preceding interval. The Active Sockets Display for a Single Protocol When a protocol is specified with the -Cp option, the information displayed is similar to that in the default display for active sockets, except the display is limited to the given protocol. EXAMPLES
Example of using snmpnetstat to display active sockets (default): % snmpnetstat -v 2c -c public -Ca testhost Active Internet (tcp) Connections (including servers) Proto Local Address Foreign Address (state) tcp *.echo *.* LISTEN tcp *.discard *.* LISTEN tcp *.daytime *.* LISTEN tcp *.chargen *.* LISTEN tcp *.ftp *.* LISTEN tcp *.telnet *.* LISTEN tcp *.smtp *.* LISTEN ... Active Internet (udp) Connections Proto Local Address udp *.echo udp *.discard udp *.daytime udp *.chargen udp *.time ... % snmpnetstat -v 2c -c public -Ci testhost Name Mtu Network Address Ipkts Ierrs Opkts Oerrs Queue eri0 1500 10.6.9/24 testhost 170548881 245601 687976 0 0 lo0 8232 127 localhost 7530982 0 7530982 0 0 Example of using snmpnetstat to show statistics about a specific protocol: % snmpnetstat -v 2c -c public -Cp tcp testhost Active Internet (tcp) Connections Proto Local Address Foreign Address (state) tcp *.echo *.* LISTEN tcp *.discard *.* LISTEN tcp *.daytime *.* LISTEN tcp *.chargen *.* LISTEN tcp *.ftp *.* LISTEN tcp *.telnet *.* LISTEN tcp *.smtp *.* LISTEN ... SEE ALSO
snmpcmd(1), iostat(1), vmstat(1), hosts(5), networks(5), protocols(5), services(5). BUGS
The notion of errors is ill-defined. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution 16 Nov 2006 SNMPNETSTAT(1)