Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: netstat output
Special Forums IP Networking netstat output Post 302399714 by Ultrix on Monday 1st of March 2010 09:56:15 AM
Old 03-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
Which OS, and which command exactly? Because on those systems that I have access to netstat outputs nice headers that should be easy to understand if you know a bit about networking.
I'm using Mac OS X Leopard. The output looks something like this (shortened for brevity's sake):

Code:
Active Internet connections
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
tcp4      37      0  10.0.1.3.52023         textnews.news.ca.nntp  CLOSE_WAIT
udp4       0      0  10.20.1.118.ntp        *.*                    
udp4       0      0  *.58916                *.*                    
udp4       0      0  *.52844                *.*                    
udp4       0      0  *.58444                *.*                    
udp4       0      0  *.52618                *.*                    
udp4       0      0  *.55354                *.*                    
udp4       0      0  *.54759                *.*                    
udp4       0      0  *.*                    *.*                    
udp6       0      0  michael-gables-m.ntp   *.*                    
udp6       0      0  localhost.ntp          *.*                    
udp4       0      0  localhost.ntp          *.*                    
udp6       0      0  localhost.ntp          *.*                    
udp6       0      0  *.ntp                  *.*                    
udp4       0      0  *.ntp                  *.*                    
udp4   15489      0  *.ipp                  *.*                    
udp6       0      0  *.mdns                 *.*                    
udp4       0      0  *.mdns                 *.*                    
icm6       0      0  *.*                    *.*                    
Active LOCAL (UNIX) domain sockets
Address  Type   Recv-Q Send-Q    Inode     Conn     Refs  Nextref Addr
 430ecc0 stream      0      0        0  581fee0        0        0 /var/run/mDNSResponder
 581fee0 stream      0      0        0  430ecc0        0        0
 42ee110 stream      0      0        0  430eee0        0        0 /var/run/mDNSResponder
 430eee0 stream      0      0        0  42ee110        0        0
 42dab28 stream      0      0        0  411fb28        0        0 /var/run/mDNSResponder

I don't know what any of this means. I'm not much of a networking person, and I only know a little bit about TCP/IP (like what DNS and DHCP are), so this doesn't make much sense to me.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

output of NETSTAT

# netstat -in Name Mtu Network Address Ipkts Ierrs Opkts Oerrs Coll net1 1500 192.168 192.168.0.11 24508 0 12212 112931 2795 lo0 8232 127 127.0.0.1 42 0 42 0 0 atl0* 8232 none none No Statistics... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samprax
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

filtering a range of ports out of a netstat output

i'd like to grep a range of ports on a netstat -nt output, localaddress, say :1 to :1023. how do i do it via sed/awk/grep? Thanks, Marc (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcpascual
1 Replies

3. Solaris

netstat -an -- meaning of the output

Dear Experts, I put below command- could you please describe the outputs column- let me describe some them- col_1: (10.131.60.48.55880) The IP address of the local computer and the port number being used for this particular connection appear in the Local Address column. col_2:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

Difference in netstat -a and -an output.

Hi, Does anyone know why I get a different output when using "netstat -a" or "netstat -an" ?? # netstat -a | grep ts15r135 tcp 0 0 nbsol152.62736 ts15r135.23211 ESTABLISHED # netstat -an | grep 172.23.160.78 tcp 0 0 135.246.39.152.51954 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

interpreting netstat output

hi all, when I run- wcars1j5#netstat -an | grep 8090 127.0.0.1.8090 *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN wcars1j5# 1. does this mean that no one is connected to this port? Regards, akash (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akash_mahakode
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

Connections not shown in netstat output

I have a TCPIP server application (a Vendor package) which by default allows 10 connections. It provides a parameter to allow us to increase the maximum allowable connections in case it is needed. Intermittently this application is failing with maximum number of connections reached even when there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AIX_user
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Amount of Network Traffic info from netstat output

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how much traffic has been generated and received from netstat -s output (using Linux). I can see the output shows packet counts and Octet values, how would I correctly calculate how much traffic in and how much out? My output below: Ip: 88847576 total... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wilsonee
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

netstat -an output, pls. explain..

Hi, I have old SCO O/S. System keeps crashing. I made lot of changes to kernel but so for nothing helped. I wrote a script which takes netstat -an output every one minute. I saw some thing right before the system crashed. Not sure if this means anything.. uname -a SCO_SV djx2 3.2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

netstat output

Hi Team, Below is the output of netstat -an | grep 1533 tcp 0 0 17.18.18.12:583 10.3.2.0:1533 ESTABLISHED tcp 0 0 17.18.18.12:370 10.3.2.0:1533 ESTABLISHED Below is the o/p of netstat -a | grep server_name tcp 0 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Girish19
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Filtering netstat command output

Hi All, I am trying to collect the listen ports info from netstat command in centos 7 From that info i am trying to collect all the foreign address IP for those ports. I am using below script to do the same. netstat -an |grep -w "LISTEN" |grep -v "127.0.0.1" |awk '{print $4}' >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravani25
3 Replies
CYRUS.CONF(5)							File Formats Manual						     CYRUS.CONF(5)

NAME
cyrus.conf - Cyrus configuration file DESCRIPTION
/etc/cyrus.conf is the configuration file for the Cyrus cyrmaster process. It defines the startup procedures, services and events to be spawned by cyrmaster. The /etc/cyrus.conf file consists of a series of entries divided into sections of the form section { name arguments ... ... ... } where section is the name of the section, name is the name of the entry and arguments is the whitespace-separated list of arguments for the entry. Blank lines and lines beginning with ``#'' are ignored. SECTION DESCRIPTIONS
The paragraphs below detail the three sections (START, SERVICES, EVENTS) that can be placed in the /etc/cyrus.conf file. The arguments that are available for each entry within the section are described, and each argument's default value is shown. Arguments can appear in any order. Some arguments have no default value, these are listed with ``<no default>''. For string arguments, the value MUST be enclosed in double quotes. START This section lists the processes to run before any SERVICES are spawned. This section is typically used to initialize databases and start long running daemons. cmd=<no default> The command (with options) to spawn as a child process. This string argument is required. SERVICES This section is the heart of the /etc/cyrus.conf file. It lists the processes that should be spawned to handle client connections made on certain Internet/UNIX sockets. babysit=0 Integer value - if non-zero, will make sure at least one process is pre-forked, and will set the maxforkrate to 10 if it's zero. cmd=<no default> The command (with options) to spawn as a child process. This string argument is required. listen=<no default> The UNIX or internet socket to listen on. This string field is required and takes one of the following forms: path [ host : ] port where path is the explicit (absolute) path to a UNIX socket, host is either the hostname or bracket-enclosed IP address of a network interface, and port is either a port number or service name (as listed in /etc/services). proto=tcp The protocol used for this service (tcp, tcp4, tcp6, udp, udp4, udp6). This string argument is optional. tcp4, udp4: These arguments are used to bind the service to IPv4 only. tcp6, udp6: These arguments are used to bind the service to IPv6 only, if the operating system supports this. tcp, udp: These arguments are used to bind to both IPv4 and IPv6 if possible. prefork=0 The number of instances of this service to always have running and waiting for a connection (for faster initial response time). This integer value is optional. Note that if you are listening on multiple network types (i.e. ipv4 and ipv6) then one process will be forked for each address, causing twice as many processes as you might expect. maxchild=-1 The maximum number of instances of this service to spawn. A value of -1 means unlimited. This integer value is optional. maxfds=256 The maximum number of file descriptors to which to limit this process. This integer value is optional. maxforkrate=0 Maximum number of processes to fork per second - the master will insert sleeps to ensure it doesn't fork faster than this on average. EVENTS This section lists processes that should be run at specific intervals, similar to cron jobs. This section is typically used to perform scheduled cleanup/maintenance. cmd=<no default> The command (with options) to spawn as a child process. This string argument is required. period=0 The interval (in minutes) at which to run the command. This integer value is optional, but SHOULD be a positive integer > 10. at=<hhmm> The time (24-hour format) at which to run the command each day. If set to a valid time (0000-2359), period is automatically set to 1440. This string argument is optional. EXAMPLE
# example cyrus.conf START { recover cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -r" } SERVICES { imap cmd="imapd" listen="imap" prefork=1 imaps cmd="imapd -s" listen="imaps" prefork=0 lmtpunix cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/imap/socket/lmtp" lmtp cmd="lmtpd" listen="localhost:lmtp" } EVENTS { checkpoint cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -c" period=30 delprune cmd="cyr_expire -E 3" at=0400 tlsprune cmd="tls_prune" at=0400 } ACCESS CONTROL
When TCP Wrappers is used to control access to Cyrus services, the name of the service entry should be used as the process name in the hosts_access(5) table. For instance, in the example above, "imap", "imaps", "lmtpunix" and "lmtp" would be used as the process names. This allows a single daemon such as imapd to be run in different modes or configurations (i.e., SSL and non-SSL enabled) yet still have separate access control rules. SEE ALSO
cyrmaster(8), imapd(8), pop3d(8), lmtpd(8), timsieved(8), idled(8), notifyd(8), ctl_cyrusdb(8), ctl_deliver(8), tls_prune(8), hosts_access(5) CMU
Project Cyrus CYRUS.CONF(5)