Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting alias defining problem in .cshrc file Post 302398049 by drl on Tuesday 23rd of February 2010 06:09:30 PM
Old 02-23-2010
Hi.

The comments show refinements and corrections:
Code:
#!/bin/csh

# @(#) s1       Demonstrate alias.

echo
setenv LC_ALL C ; setenv LANG C
echo "Environment: LC_ALL = $LC_ALL, LANG = $LANG"
echo "(Versions displayed with local utility version)"
sh -c "version >/dev/null 2>&1" && version "=o" csh
echo

# alias nirdirs '`ls -ltr | grep "^d" | awk "{print \\$9}" | xargs du -hs`'
# alias nirdirs '`ls -ltr | grep "^d" | nawk "{print \\$9}" | xargs du -hs`'
# alias nirdirs '`ls -ltr | grep "^d" | nawk "{print \$9}" | xargs du -hs`'
# alias nirdirs '`ls -ltr | grep "^d" | nawk "{print $9}" | xargs du -hs`'
alias nirdirs 'ls -ltr | grep "^d" | nawk "{print $9}" | xargs du -hs'

alias

nirdirs

exit 0

producing:
Code:
$ ./s1

Environment: LC_ALL = C, LANG = C
(Versions displayed with local utility version)
OS, ker|rel, machine: SunOS, 5.10, i86pc
csh Aug 8 2006 (SunOS 5.10)

nirdirs ls -ltr | grep "^d" | nawk "{print $9}" | xargs du -hs
   3K   .

Good luck ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to set the CVSROOT in the .cshrc file?

I am learning the CVS in Unix now, but in the book it said I need to add the CVSROOT to the end of the .cshrc file. I had use emacs to edit it and add CVSROOT=/CVS, but when I run script .cshrc then it said CVSROOT=/CVS: Command not found. I had already think that for a hour, so could any person... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: a8111978
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting/Filed Defining/Output problem

need a little help with a few tid bits. I wrote a script that checks the resoluion of image files and writes them out to a file then sorts the resolutions by largets Width. Then take the sorted files information and toss all the 835 widths into a seperate file. Ignore the redundancies its a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TiredOrangeCat
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

word too long..problem while sourcing .cshrc

I am setting my PATH & LD_LIBRARY_PATH through .cshrc file while sourcing it on a old shell i am getting the error word too long .and the changes which i anm doing doesn't get updated . i am in a multi user environment so the only way to do the changes only for my shell is to do it that way. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mobydick
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Problem defining remote printers on solaris 10

Good morning, I have a server with solaris 10 that I want to intall remote printers. I started lpsched deamon without problems with command: svcadm enable application/print/server I want to install printers that are defined locally on print server, so: lpadmin -p <device> -s <print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonovox
2 Replies

5. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

.cshrc file

Hi All, I was hoping someone could help me with the following query I have please in relation to NX Nomachine. Is there a way to get my .cshrc file in say my “US” home dir” to run when I login to another server e.g say a UK server? Any advise would be much appreciated, thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zainster
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with my .cshrc

Hello everyone, I write a ~/.cshrc for set class path to run my java application. The file is listed below. setenv YFILTER_HOME ~/yfilter-2.0 setenv PATH "$YFILTER_HOME/bin:$PATH" setenv CLASSPATH... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perl0101
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Defining an alias FreeBSD

I have defined this alias as quick way to find out which mount point to use for a USB drive after inserting it: # alias da='dmesg | grep da | grep MB' However, when invoking it, it states the following: # da da: Command not found. Can someone explain what is the issue here and how it can be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
3 Replies

8. Programming

Problem defining a struct

I have the following code and getting the compilation errors baseLib/DynBaseObj.h:80: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(' token baseLib/DynBaseObj.h:89: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(' token baseLib/DynBaseObj.h:101:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Defining variable problem

Hi I'd say I'm having this weird problem where my script isn't taking the value off a variable or printing it. My code is like this: set count_C= `grep -c C mols` set count_H= `grep -c H mols` set count_O= `grep -c O mols` sed -i '7,7 s/$/ $count_C $count_O $count_H/g' input It... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saleheen
8 Replies

10. Solaris

CSHRC and PATH problem please help

I'm doing some IVR programming and it uses Solaris 10. I know little about Unix, or CSH, but I think it's a problem with my .cshrc file. I was getting an error: "nstancehomedir/sqllib/bin/db2fupdt: Command not found" and also "set: Syntax error" when I log in. I found db2fupdt in 2 directories,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jstevanus
2 Replies
alias(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          alias(1)

NAME
alias, unalias - create or remove a pseudonym or shorthand for a command or series of commands SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/alias [ alias-name [ = string...]] /usr/bin/unalias alias-name... /usr/bin/unalias -a csh alias [ name [def]] unalias pattern ksh alias [-tx] [ name [ = value]...] unalias name... unalias [-a] DESCRIPTION
The alias and unalias utilities create or remove a pseudonym or shorthand term for a command or series of commands, with different func- tionality in the C-shell and Korn shell environments. /usr/bin/alias The alias utility creates or redefines alias definitions or writes the values of existing alias definitions to standard output. An alias definition provides a string value that replaces a command name when it is encountered. An alias definition affects the current shell execution environment and the execution environments of the subshells of the current shell. When used as specified by this document, the alias definition will not affect the parent process of the current shell nor any utility envi- ronment invoked by the shell. /usr/bin/unalias The unalias utility removes the definition for each alias name specified. The aliases are removed from the current shell execution environ- ment. The -a option removes all alias definitions from the current execution environment. csh alias assigns def to the alias name. The assigned def is a list of words that may contain escaped history-substitution metasyntax. name is not allowed to be alias or unalias. If def is omitted, the alias name is displayed along with its current definition. If both name and def are omitted, all aliases are displayed. Because of implementation restrictions, an alias definition must have been entered on a previous command line before it can be used. unalias discards aliases that match (filename substitution) pattern. All aliases may be removed by `unalias *'. ksh alias with no arguments prints the list of aliases in the form name=value on standard output. An alias is defined for each name whose value is given. A trailing space in value causes the next word to be checked for alias substitution. The -t flag is used to set and list tracked aliases. The value of a tracked alias is the full pathname corresponding to the given name. The value becomes undefined when the value of PATH is reset but the aliases remained tracked. Without the -t flag, for each name in the argument list for which no value is given, the name and value of the alias is printed. The -x flag is used to set or print exported aliases. An exported alias is defined for scripts invoked by name. The exit status is non-zero if a name is given, but no value, and no alias has been defined for the name. The aliases given by the list of names may be removed from the alias list with unalias. OPTIONS
The following option is supported by unalias: -a Removes all alias definitions from the current shell execution environment. ksh The following option is supported by alias: -t Sets and lists tracked aliases. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: alias alias-name Write the alias definition to standard output. unalias alias-name The name of an alias to be removed. alias-name=string Assign the value of string to the alias alias-name. If no operands are given, all alias definitions will be written to standard output. OUTPUT
The format for displaying aliases (when no operands or only name operands are specified) is: "%s=%s " name, value The value string will be written with appropriate quoting so that it is suitable for reinput to the shell. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Modifying a command's output This example specifies that the output of the ls utility is columnated and more annotated: example% alias ls="ls -CF" Example 2: Repeating previous entries in the command history file This example creates a simple "redo" command to repeat previous entries in the command history file: example% alias r='fc -s' Example 3: Specifying a command's output options This example provides that the du utility summarize disk output in units of 1024 bytes: example% alias du=du -k Example 4: Dealing with an argument that is itself an alias name This example sets up the nohup utility so that it can deal with an argument that is itself an alias name: example% alias nohup="nohup " ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of alias and unalias: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. alias >0 One of the alias-name operands specified did not have an alias definition, or an error occurred. unalias >0 One of the alias-name operands specified did not represent a valid alias definition, or an error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), shell_builtins(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 alias(1)