Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified Post 302397371 by pludi on Monday 22nd of February 2010 01:58:40 AM
Old 02-22-2010
sudo will only run a program as a different user if one of these 3 conditions has been met (as far as passwords are concerned):
  1. the NOPASSWD option is specified
  2. the user entered the correct target password
  3. the user entered the correct source password
Since options 2 and 3 require a TTY (sudo won't read from a pipe) it won't run if it can't find one. Check your script if at any point you're running a script remotely using ssh, as it's possible that it won't allocate a TTY for a non-interactive remote command.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to remove sudo program

How to completely uninstall sudo program? Thank u in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: unitipon
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to execute a program present on another server using SFTP in perl

Hi, I want to execute a program which is present on another server. i want to use SFTP in perl, is it possible? how ? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anandgodse
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sudo: sorry, you must have a tty to run sudo

Hi All, I running a unix command using sudo option inside shell script. Its working well. But in crontab the same command is not working and its throwing "sudo: sorry, you must have a tty to run sudo". I do not have root permission to add or change settings for my userid. I can not even ask... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Apple1221
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error - sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified

Hi I am trying to automate the deployment of a tar ball onto a set of remote servers and am getting this error from the ssh - sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified What I have done is add some code into the user's ssh key that does a few things like delete the existing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified

i am trying overide the below error sudo: sorry, you must have a tty to run sudoi am aware of ssh -t option. But just experimenting with OS :D So, tried commenting out Defaults requiretty from my sudoers file after which i am getting the below error sudo: no tty present and no askpass... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified

Hi I have an Oracle DBA that is trying to install an RPM from Stratavia which is a web based portal and it executes the following: Instance Wrapper=sudo -u oracle /opt/datapalette/jython/jython Server Wrapper=sudo -u root /opt/datapalette/jython/jython I've compared the /etc/sudoers... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeff-fafa
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sudo: sorry, you must have a tty to run sudo

Hi, Have a need to run the below command as a "karuser" from a java class which will is running as "root" user. When we are trying to run the below command from java code getting the below error. Command: sudo -u karuser -s /bin/bash /bank/karunix/bin/build_cycles.sh Error: sudo: sorry,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
8 Replies

8. Solaris

[Solved] No tty present and no askpass program specified!

Hi Guys, I use a script sdcmdeploy.ksh to deploy java application to respective dev/test environment. This script is being executed on SunOS. These apps are weblogic apps & the script internally calls weblogic deploy script to deploy application to weblogic cluster. But at this point it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj100
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

No tty present and no askpass program specified

I am trying to rsync files from NodeA to NodeB. Using the below command. /usr/bin/rsync -v -a -e "ssh" --rsync-path="sudo -u msd rsync" /home/ansible/templates/app/Sprint6/webapps eric@NodeB:/opt/msdp/ca/iam_cac I can only ssh into NodeB as eric user but I want files placed as msd user.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python: Redirecting to tty and reading from tty

In bash, you can do something like this: #!/bin/bash echo -n "What is your name? " > /dev/tty read thename < /dev/tty How can I do the same in python? I have a python script that has the following content: #!/usr/bin/python2.7 import getpass import sys import telnetlib import... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies
GKSU(1) 							   User Commands							   GKSU(1)

NAME
gksu - GTK+ frontend for su and sudo SYNOPSIS
gksu gksu [-u <user>] [options] <command> gksudo [-u <user>] [options] <command> DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly gksu and gksudo gksu is a frontend to su and gksudo is a frontend to sudo. Their primary purpose is to run graphical commands that need root without the need to run an X terminal emulator and using su directly. Notice that all the magic is done by the underlying library, libgksu. Also notice that the library will decide if it should use su or sudo as backend using the /apps/gksu/sudo-mode gconf key, if you call the gksu command. You can force the backend by using the gksudo command, or by using the --sudo-mode and --su-mode options. If no command is given, the gksu program will display a small window that allows you to type in a command to be run, and to select what user the program should be run as. The other options are disregarded, right now, in this mode. OPTIONS
--debug, -d Print information on the screen that might be useful for diagnosing and/or solving problems. --user <user>, -u <user> Call <command> as the specified user. --disable-grab, -g Disable the "locking" of the keyboard, mouse, and focus done by the program when asking for password. --prompt, -P Ask the user if they want to have their keyboard and mouse grabbed before doing so. --preserve-env, -k Preserve the current environments, does not set $HOME nor $PATH, for example. --login, -l Make this a login shell. Beware this may cause problems with the Xauthority magic. Run xhost to allow the target user to open win- dows on your display! --description <description|file>, -D <description|file> Provide a descriptive name for the command to be used in the default message, making it nicer. You can also provide the absolute path for a .desktop file. The Name key for will be used in this case. --message <message>, -m <message> Replace the standard message shown to ask for password for the argument passed to the option. Only use this if --description does not suffice. --print-pass, -p Ask gksu to print the password to stdout, just like ssh-askpass. Useful to use in scripts with programs that accept receiving the password on stdin. --su-mode, -w Force gksu to use su(1) as its backend for running the programs. --sudo-mode, -S Force gksu to use sudo(1) as its backend for running the programs. SEE ALSO
su(1), sudo(1) gksu version 2.0.x August 2006 GKSU(1)