Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: TTY Issue with Sunblade 150
Operating Systems Solaris TTY Issue with Sunblade 150 Post 302397291 by Geekasaurus on Sunday 21st of February 2010 06:16:46 PM
Old 02-21-2010
Its Interesting....

I removed the upgraded RAM (it is ECC, non-registered). The upgraded RAM passed the extensive POST checks, so I was sure that the issue was not the RAM. In any case, I removed the upgrades and the problem still repeats.

I tried your trick of using a standard USB keyboard and mouse with the serial console showing. Now the boot process does not continue to the OK prompt, but freezes while probing the PCI busses. It completes the following steps, but freezes after the last:
Code:
Probing /pci@1f,0 Device 7  isa dma floppy parallel power serial serial
Probing /pci@1f,0 Device 3  pmu i2c temperature card-reader dimm-spd
   beep ppm fan-control

Probing Memory Bank #0 512 Megabytes
Probing Memory Bank #1   0 Megabytes
Probing Memory Bank #2   0 Megabytes
Probing Memory Bank #3   0 Megabytes
Probing /pci@1f,0 Device c  network firewire usb hub device 0 keyboard 1    input
Probing /pci@1f,0 Device 8  sound
Probing /pci@1f,0 Device d  ide disk cdrom
Probing /pci@1f,0 Device 5  pci
Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@5 Device 0  Nothing there
Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@5 Device 1  Nothing there
Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@5 Device 2  Nothing there
Probing /pci@1f,0 Device 13  SUNW,m64B
(blank: it freezes here)

I note that it did detect the USB keyboard; but it locks up. The keyboard is known to be good (I robbed it from my Ubuntu notebook).

Unplug the USB keyboard and reboot; here is the same section of the POST:
Code:
Probing /pci@1f,0 Device 3  pmu i2c temperature card-reader dimm-spd    beep ppm fan-control

Probing /pci@1f,0 Device c  network firewire usb
Probing /pci@1f,0 Device 5  pci
Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@5 Device 0  Nothing there
Reset Control: BXIR:0 BPOR:0 SXIR:0 SPOR:1 POR:0
Probing upa at 1f,0 pci
Probing upa at 0,0 SUNW,UltraSPARC-IIe (512 KB)
Loading Support Packages: obp-tftp kbd-translator
Loading onboard drivers: ebus flashprom eeprom idprom
Probing /pci@1f,0 Device 3  pmu i2c temperature card-reader dimm-spd
   beep ppm fan-control

Probing /pci@1f,0 Device c  network firewire usb
Probing /pci@1f,0 Device 5  pci Probing /pci@1f,0/pci@5 Device 0  Nothing there

Sun Blade 150 (UltraSPARC-IIe 650MHz), No Keyboard
Copyright 1998-2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
OpenBoot 4.10.6, 512 MB memory installed, Serial #60065423.
Ethernet address 0:3:ba:94:86:8f, Host ID: 8394868f.

Skipping diagnostic script because diag-script = none

ok

When I unplugged the USB mouse/keyboard and rebooted, the Sunblade finished its boot process to the OK prompt. Its just that, without the TD signal asserted on the TTY, I cannot give it the next command to cause it to load the OS. I am almost convinced now that the motherboard is toast.

I tried your suggestion of plugging the monitor directly into the Sunblade (bypassing the KVM): nothing happened; the on-board video just is not functioning (I didn't check this when I first purchased it; I just used the serial console).

So the score card is: no video; no serial console; no USB keyboard/mouse.

I'll keep playing with it this afternoon, but I suspect that I'll be ordering another one soon. I don't have this kind of money. Does anyone want to make me a brother-in-law deal on a gently used Sunblade 150?

Last edited by Scott; 02-21-2010 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

regd.sunblade 100

hii alll i have a problem with my sunblade100. when i switch on, no display comes but if i ping from a remote machine its pinging,but iam not able to telent to that sun server,what can be the problem,how can i sort ot this issue 2 thing in usb iam not able to use STOP N (to clear the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris8in
3 Replies

2. Debian

How to install Debian on a SUNBLADE 100?

I have tried to install the Debian distribution for SPARC processor, but is a pian in the neck trying to boot from cdrom or floppy. Please can somebody to help me to know the easiest way to boot and install Debian on a SUNBLADE 100 system? or wich is the best way to installed on this system, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GEIER
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Can SunBlade 150 support 2 x 160GB hard disk

Hi all, I am a newbies here, Have question regards large hard disk install in SunBlade system. Can SunBlade 150 support 2 x 160GB (internal IDE) ? Want to make sure before buy the hard disks. Anyone had experiences configure large hard disk in SunBlade 150 before ? In the SunBlade 150... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ong.kianseng
2 Replies

4. Solaris

SunBlade 2000

Hi guys, I have a SunBlade 2000 that I am trying to configure. It has been configured previously with an IP address, hostname, DNS and so forth. I want to configure it with a new IP address. How can I achieve this? It has been one of the most difficult tasks for me as I am not really... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arkayev
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sunblade 1000

Hi everyone this is my first post I have used linux a couple of times and was impressed, so i bought an old sunblade 1000, just to learn something new. I cannot get the thing to work! I have tried to install solaris 10 and several types of linux. I am beginning to wonder if i was sold a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kawakaze
3 Replies

6. Solaris

PC133 for sunblade 100

Greetings, I was in the mood of upgrading my sunblade100 in my bedroom, since I recuperated some RAM from intel servers, and found myself with what seems to not work (I was hoping to pass from 256Mb to 2GB... and then upgrading to solaris 10...) after this failure I tried with just one 512 MB,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vbe
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Cloning a Sunblade 2500

Good Morning, I took a mirror drive from one Solaris 9 machine and used it to set up another. After syncing another mirror on the second machine I restarted but I don't get a login screen. I see a message:The X-server cannot be started on display :0 Also during startup I see:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Ufsrestore on SunBlade 2500

Good Afternoon, I'm setting up a SunBlade 2500 using ufsrestoreand have gotten to the point where I have restored the root and usr partitions. However, the machine keeps rebooting, never really coming up. Looking at vfstab, it looks pretty empty- shouldn't I see entries like... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
22 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python: Redirecting to tty and reading from tty

In bash, you can do something like this: #!/bin/bash echo -n "What is your name? " > /dev/tty read thename < /dev/tty How can I do the same in python? I have a python script that has the following content: #!/usr/bin/python2.7 import getpass import sys import telnetlib import... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

SunBlade 150 can't start openwin: /usr/openwin/bin/xinit: Server error.

Hi. I have a Microsystems SunBlade 150 shell# cat /etc/release Solaris 8 2/02 s28s_u7wos_08a SPARC shell# uname -a SunOS HOSTNAME 5.8 Generic_108528-14 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-100 shell# prtconf -F /pci@1f,0/SUNW,m64B@13:m640 When I join to the only account the server try to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegroup
5 Replies