Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: TTY Issue with Sunblade 150
Operating Systems Solaris TTY Issue with Sunblade 150 Post 302397267 by Geekasaurus on Sunday 21st of February 2010 04:43:00 PM
Old 02-21-2010
Sun TTY

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, I cannot enter anything at the OBP OK prompt. That is the problem. There are not two monitor cards in the machine. There is only the on-board VGA port. Unfortunately, my monitor does not permit manual setup. It is auto-tune only, and when it detects some sort of VGA signal, it will adjust itself to that signal. I have a KVM, and it works fine on the other 3 machines it is connected to; including the HP-UX system which only supports 1024x768 when it boots.

This cable did work fine until I made the upgrades. I installed Solaris 10 without issue, and was able to make StarOffice work for me after it was on the network. But you're correct about the pinouts. I carefully checked the serial connector; there are no bent pins.

I'm beginning to think that the mainboard on this thing is busted. It worked fine with the less RAM and disk before the upgrade. Maybe I did something to it and broke it somewhere along the way.

This sucks; I am out of work and cannot afford a new SunBlade. I need this machine to learn Sun's virtualization and ZFS. These need to be on my resume so I can get some work.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

regd.sunblade 100

hii alll i have a problem with my sunblade100. when i switch on, no display comes but if i ping from a remote machine its pinging,but iam not able to telent to that sun server,what can be the problem,how can i sort ot this issue 2 thing in usb iam not able to use STOP N (to clear the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris8in
3 Replies

2. Debian

How to install Debian on a SUNBLADE 100?

I have tried to install the Debian distribution for SPARC processor, but is a pian in the neck trying to boot from cdrom or floppy. Please can somebody to help me to know the easiest way to boot and install Debian on a SUNBLADE 100 system? or wich is the best way to installed on this system, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GEIER
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Can SunBlade 150 support 2 x 160GB hard disk

Hi all, I am a newbies here, Have question regards large hard disk install in SunBlade system. Can SunBlade 150 support 2 x 160GB (internal IDE) ? Want to make sure before buy the hard disks. Anyone had experiences configure large hard disk in SunBlade 150 before ? In the SunBlade 150... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ong.kianseng
2 Replies

4. Solaris

SunBlade 2000

Hi guys, I have a SunBlade 2000 that I am trying to configure. It has been configured previously with an IP address, hostname, DNS and so forth. I want to configure it with a new IP address. How can I achieve this? It has been one of the most difficult tasks for me as I am not really... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arkayev
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sunblade 1000

Hi everyone this is my first post I have used linux a couple of times and was impressed, so i bought an old sunblade 1000, just to learn something new. I cannot get the thing to work! I have tried to install solaris 10 and several types of linux. I am beginning to wonder if i was sold a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kawakaze
3 Replies

6. Solaris

PC133 for sunblade 100

Greetings, I was in the mood of upgrading my sunblade100 in my bedroom, since I recuperated some RAM from intel servers, and found myself with what seems to not work (I was hoping to pass from 256Mb to 2GB... and then upgrading to solaris 10...) after this failure I tried with just one 512 MB,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vbe
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Cloning a Sunblade 2500

Good Morning, I took a mirror drive from one Solaris 9 machine and used it to set up another. After syncing another mirror on the second machine I restarted but I don't get a login screen. I see a message:The X-server cannot be started on display :0 Also during startup I see:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Ufsrestore on SunBlade 2500

Good Afternoon, I'm setting up a SunBlade 2500 using ufsrestoreand have gotten to the point where I have restored the root and usr partitions. However, the machine keeps rebooting, never really coming up. Looking at vfstab, it looks pretty empty- shouldn't I see entries like... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
22 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python: Redirecting to tty and reading from tty

In bash, you can do something like this: #!/bin/bash echo -n "What is your name? " > /dev/tty read thename < /dev/tty How can I do the same in python? I have a python script that has the following content: #!/usr/bin/python2.7 import getpass import sys import telnetlib import... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

SunBlade 150 can't start openwin: /usr/openwin/bin/xinit: Server error.

Hi. I have a Microsystems SunBlade 150 shell# cat /etc/release Solaris 8 2/02 s28s_u7wos_08a SPARC shell# uname -a SunOS HOSTNAME 5.8 Generic_108528-14 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-100 shell# prtconf -F /pci@1f,0/SUNW,m64B@13:m640 When I join to the only account the server try to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegroup
5 Replies
vga_getmonitortype(3)						Svgalib User Manual					     vga_getmonitortype(3)

NAME
vga_getmonitortype - returns the monitor type configured SYNOPSIS
#include <vga.h> int vga_getmonitortype(void); DESCRIPTION
This returns the monitor type configered in /etc/vga/libvga.config. This function is really obsolete, as the result is of not much use to the application vga_getmodeinfo(3) and vga_hasmode(3) do already check the monitor type and there are more flexible ways to specify it too. The return value is one of: MON640_60 31.5 KHz (standard VGA): does 640x480 in 60Hz vsync. MON800_56 35.1 KHz (old SVGA): does 800x600 in 56Hz vsync. MON1024_43I 35.5 KHz (low-end SVGA, 8514): does 1024x768 in 43Hz vsync interlaced. MON800_60 37.9 KHz (SVGA): does 800x600 in 60Hz vsync. MON1024_60 48.3 KHz (SVGA non-interlaced): does 1024x768 in 60Hz vsync, non-interlaced. MON1024_70 56.0 KHz (SVGA high frequency): does 1024x768 in 70Hz vsync. MON1024_72 does 1024x768 in 72Hz vsync or even better. SEE ALSO
svgalib(7), vgagl(7), libvga.config(5), mousetest(6), spin(6), vga_init(3), vga_setmode(3), vga_hasmode(3), vga_getmodeinfo(3) AUTHOR
This manual page was edited by Michael Weller <eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de>. The exact source of the referenced function as well as of the original documentation is unknown. It is very likely that both are at least to some extent are due to Harm Hanemaayer <H.Hanemaayer@inter.nl.net>. Occasionally this might be wrong. I hereby asked to be excused by the original author and will happily accept any additions or corrections to this first version of the svgalib manual. Svgalib (>;= 1.2.11) 27 July 1997 vga_getmonitortype(3)