Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with writing simple bash script Post 302397258 by jgt on Sunday 21st of February 2010 04:24:55 PM
Old 02-21-2010
To send an email, with a unique string (provided not more than one email per second is generated.)

Code:
#set UNIQUE to Process ID + current date and time
UNIQUE=$$`date +"%Y%m%d%H%M%S`
echo $UNIQUE  >>output.log
mail -s "Test Response Time" someone@gmail.com <<EOF
Remarks:$UNIQUE
Sent at `date`
EOF

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help writing simple script

I'm trying to write a simple unix script that will delete files after 30 days of being created. I've never done this before but conceptually it sounds easy. Here is what I'm trying to do: Get System Date Get File Date If (sysdate-filedate>30days) rm file All of these files are contained... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tamdoankc
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems writing bash script to unzip files

I'm getting the following errors when I try to write a script to unzip some zip files. When I use the free trial copy of the commerical winzip program, however, they work fine. When I use -l or -t on unzip it indicates no errors. When I use the -o switch interactively from the bash command line it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing Bash script

Could anyone help me to Write a script in BASH Shell to determine the percentage of system disk space you are using. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boris
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP! writing simple shell script

how would i write a shell script to show the number of lines in which int variable appears in a c++ program. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deadleg
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem writing a simple c shell script

#!/bin/csh echo hello world this is what i got in a text file called ss1. i type "chmod 755 ss1.txt" to make it executable. then when i type ss1 or ss1.txt it says "ss1 command not found" what am i doing wrong? (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: pantelis
19 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing a simple script to get total number of cpus/cores in server

Hi, I am very new to scripting and I wanted to write a unix shell script which can give me, 1)number of cpu's in a box 2)number of cores per cpu 3)total number of cores in abox (ie multiplying 1&2) I am also trying to figure out how to check if hyper-threading is enabled in the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: steven12
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing a bash script using host

Im trying to write a script using the host command but its not working properly. I cant understand what Im doing wrong. When I use it at the command prompt, it works fine. But its being used actually in the script, it says its not found: 2 SERVFAIL. Can anyone help me? Here's what I have so far: no... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: relsha
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mkbootfs writing to stdout in bash script

Hi, I need to automate some repacking tasks of a boot image for Android When in command line, I can use this command: mkbootfs /path/to/root > /path/to/ramdisk-recovery.cpio;However, if I try to run the command from a shell script under Ubuntu, it fails and outputs to stdout instead of the... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phil3759
27 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about writing a bash script

Hello, I want to write a bash script to delete the content after '#'. However, if '#' appears in a string with "", ignore this. For example, input file: test #delete "test #not delete" Output file: test "test #not delete" Does anyone know how to write this script? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeffwang66
1 Replies
Email::Date(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  Email::Date(3pm)

NAME
Email::Date - Find and Format Date Headers SYNOPSIS
use Email::Date; my $email = join '', <>; my $date = find_date($email); print $date->ymd; my $header = format_date($date->epoch); Email::Simple->create( header => [ Date => $header, ], body => '...', ); DESCRIPTION
RFC 2822 defines the "Date:" header. It declares the header a required part of an email message. The syntax for date headers is clearly laid out. Stil, even a perfectly planned world has storms. The truth is, many programs get it wrong. Very wrong. Or, they don't include a "Date:" header at all. This often forces you to look elsewhere for the date, and hoping to find something. For this reason, the tedious process of looking for a valid date has been encapsulated in this software. Further, the process of creating RFC compliant date strings is also found in this software. FUNCTIONS find_date my $time_piece = find_date $email; "find_date" accepts an email message in any format Email::Abstract can understand. It looks through the email message and finds a date, converting it to a Time::Piece object. If it can't find a date, it returns false. "find_date" is exported by default. format_date my $date = format_date; # now my $date = format_date( time - 60*60 ); # one hour ago "format_date" accepts an epoch value, such as the one returned by "time". It returns a string representing the date and time of the input, as specified in RFC 2822. If no input value is provided, the current value of "time" is used. "format_date" is exported by default. format_gmdate my $date = format_gmdate; "format_gmdate" is identical to "format_date", but it will return a string indicating the time in Greenwich Mean Time, rather than local time. "format_gmdate" is exported on demand, but not by default. PERL EMAIL PROJECT
This module is maintained by the Perl Email Project <http://emailproject.perl.org/wiki/Email::Date> SEE ALSO
Email::Abstract, Time::Piece, Date::Parse, perl. AUTHOR
Casey West, <casey@geeknest.com>. Ricardo SIGNES, <rjbs@cpan.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2004 Casey West. All rights reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2007-12-01 Email::Date(3pm)