Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with writing simple bash script Post 302397039 by sallyanne on Saturday 20th of February 2010 01:33:23 PM
Old 02-20-2010
Error Help with writing simple bash script

I want to write a bash script to:

1. Send an email from localhost to an external gmail account. (gmail then automatically forwards the message back to a pop account on the same server.

2. Script waits 3 minutes then checks to see if the email arrived, and if not, it sends an email to administrator.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? My knowledge of writing scripts is limited and I'm hoping someone can help.

Thanks so much,

Sallyanne

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help writing simple script

I'm trying to write a simple unix script that will delete files after 30 days of being created. I've never done this before but conceptually it sounds easy. Here is what I'm trying to do: Get System Date Get File Date If (sysdate-filedate>30days) rm file All of these files are contained... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tamdoankc
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems writing bash script to unzip files

I'm getting the following errors when I try to write a script to unzip some zip files. When I use the free trial copy of the commerical winzip program, however, they work fine. When I use -l or -t on unzip it indicates no errors. When I use the -o switch interactively from the bash command line it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing Bash script

Could anyone help me to Write a script in BASH Shell to determine the percentage of system disk space you are using. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boris
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP! writing simple shell script

how would i write a shell script to show the number of lines in which int variable appears in a c++ program. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deadleg
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem writing a simple c shell script

#!/bin/csh echo hello world this is what i got in a text file called ss1. i type "chmod 755 ss1.txt" to make it executable. then when i type ss1 or ss1.txt it says "ss1 command not found" what am i doing wrong? (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: pantelis
19 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing a simple script to get total number of cpus/cores in server

Hi, I am very new to scripting and I wanted to write a unix shell script which can give me, 1)number of cpu's in a box 2)number of cores per cpu 3)total number of cores in abox (ie multiplying 1&2) I am also trying to figure out how to check if hyper-threading is enabled in the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: steven12
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing a bash script using host

Im trying to write a script using the host command but its not working properly. I cant understand what Im doing wrong. When I use it at the command prompt, it works fine. But its being used actually in the script, it says its not found: 2 SERVFAIL. Can anyone help me? Here's what I have so far: no... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: relsha
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mkbootfs writing to stdout in bash script

Hi, I need to automate some repacking tasks of a boot image for Android When in command line, I can use this command: mkbootfs /path/to/root > /path/to/ramdisk-recovery.cpio;However, if I try to run the command from a shell script under Ubuntu, it fails and outputs to stdout instead of the... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phil3759
27 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about writing a bash script

Hello, I want to write a bash script to delete the content after '#'. However, if '#' appears in a string with "", ignore this. For example, input file: test #delete "test #not delete" Output file: test "test #not delete" Does anyone know how to write this script? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeffwang66
1 Replies
mailto.conf(5)							    Apple Inc.							    mailto.conf(5)

NAME
mailto.conf - configuration file for cups email notifier DESCRIPTION
The mailto.conf file defines the local mail server and email notification preferences for CUPS. Each line in the file can be a configuration directive, a blank line, or a comment. Comment lines start with the # character. DIRECTIVES
Cc cc-address@domain.com Specifies an additional recipient for all email notifications. From from-address@domain.com Specifies the sender of email notifications. Sendmail sendmail command and options Specifies the sendmail command to use when sending email notifications. Only one Sendmail or SMTPServer line may be present in the mailto.conf file. If multiple lines are present, only the last one is used. SMTPServer servername Specifies a SMTP server to send email notifications to. Only one Sendmail or SMTPServer line may be present in the mailto.conf file. If multiple lines are present, only the last one is used. Subject subject-prefix Specifies a prefix string for the subject line of an email notification. SEE ALSO
classes.conf(5), cupsd(8), cupsd.conf(5), mime.convs(5), mime.types(5), printers.conf(5), http://localhost:631/help COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2009 by Apple Inc. 12 July 2006 CUPS mailto.conf(5)