Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing What does high performance computing mean? Post 302392880 by Neo on Saturday 6th of February 2010 03:38:17 AM
Old 02-06-2010
Good post.

On these topics, I find the definition of the term is relative to where the person "sits".

For example, HPC to a web architect is very different than HPC to an ASIC designer and is also very different to a trading systems architect. That is why I said the use of the term is relative.

The same is true for other TLA, like SOA, for example. To a CIO, a "service" might be defined as a massive globa IT system. To the web architect, a "service" might be a payment gateway. To a programmer, a "service" might be a piece of code in an object oriented design library. To a chip designer, a "service" might be a graphics card on the motherboard bus.

"High Performance" is relative to the application, which is very different depending on where you "sit". This is also very true for the term "computing".

These terms are relative to the level of architectural and application abstraction and granularity.

This concept is hard for many people to grasp, especially those who work in a specific area and who define terms based on their own perspective; and often this is a major cause of problems in IT systems design because people tend to forget that the perspective of the user defines their worldview.

Another way of saying this is "All politics are local."

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Performance Problem - High CPU utilization

Hello everybody. I have a problem with my AIX 5.3. Recently my unix shows a high cpu utilization with sar or topas. I need to find what I have to do to solve this problem, in fact, I don't know what is my problem. I had the same problem with another AIX 5.3 running the same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilder.mellotto
2 Replies

2. High Performance Computing

IBM Scheduler for High Throughput Computing on IBM Blue Gene P

A lightweight scheduler that supports high-throughput computing (HTC) applications on Blue Gene/P. (NEW: 06/12/2008 in grid) More... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

3. High Performance Computing

High Performance Computing

I am interested in setting up some High Performance Computing clusters and would like to get people's views and experiences on this. I have 2 requirements: 1. Compute clusters to do fast cpu intensive computations 2. Storage clusters of parallel and extendable filesystems spread across many... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: humbletech99
6 Replies

4. High Performance Computing

High performance Linkpack

hello everyone , Im new to HPL. i wanted to know whether High performance linpack solves linear system of equations for single precision airthmatic on LINUX. it works for double precision , so is there any HPL version which is for single precision.\ thanks . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul_viz
0 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Performance investigation, very high runq-sz %runocc

I've just been handed a hot potato from a colleague who left :(... our client has been complaining about slow performance on one of our servers. I'm not very experienced in investigating performance issues so I hoping someone will be so kind to provide some guidance Here is an overview of the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solarius
8 Replies

6. High Performance Computing

High Performance Linpack Compiling Issue

I'm trying to compile Linpack on a Ubuntu cluster. I'm running MPI. I've modified the following values to fit my system TOPdir MPdir LAlib CC LINKER. When compiling I get the following error: (the error is at the end, the other errors in between are because I've ran the script several times so... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JPJPJPJP
0 Replies
esd-config(1)							   User Commands						     esd-config(1)

NAME
esd-config - helper script for building with the Enlightened Sound Daemon (esd) SYNOPSIS
esd-config [--version] [--prefix=dir] [--cflags] [--libs] [--exec-prefix=dir] DESCRIPTION
The esd-config tool enables you to specify which compiler and linker flags should be used to compile and link programs that use the esd library. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --cflags Print the compiler flags that are necessary to compile a program using the specified library. --libs Print the linker flags that are necessary to link with the specified library. --exec-prefix=diIf specified, use dir instead of the installation exec prefix that the library was built with, when computing the output for the --cflags and --libs options. This option must be specified before any --libs or --cflags options. --prefix=dir If specified, use dir instead of the installation prefix that the library was built with, when computing the output for the --cflags and --libs options. This option must be specified before any --libs or --cflags options. This option is also used for the exec prefix, if the --exec-prefix option is not specified. --version Print the currently installed version of the library on the standard output. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Getting the Enlightened Sound Daemon version example% esd-config --version Example 2: Determining the libraries required to link with the Enlightened Sound Daemon example% esd-config --libs EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/esd-config Executable for Enlightened Sound Daemon helper script ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-audio-devel | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pkg-config(1), esdcat(1), esdplay(1), esdrec(1), esdsample(1), esdmon(1), esdctl(1), libesd(3) NOTES
This man page was originally written by Chris Waters (xtifr@debian.org) for Debian GNU/Linux. Rewritten by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems, using information from the orbit2-config(1) man page, by Dick Porter (dick@acm.org) and Elliot Lee (sopwith@redhat.com) SunOS 5.10 7 Jan 2003 esd-config(1)