Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing What does high performance computing mean? Post 302392877 by Andre_Merzky on Saturday 6th of February 2010 02:23:49 AM
Old 02-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
However, as I said "High Performance Computing" is a term which is subjective according to the user and/or the marketing objectives of the company using it.
We can probably discuss endlessly, and its fine if we have a different perspective on the topic. But for the sake of discussion, I'd like to reply anyway: it is the area I am working in, and I have thus some vested interest to represent it in a way I deem correct, but also I am interested to see how other people perceive the topic.

I absolutely grant you that the term HPC has a variable definition, in the sense that (a) problems and computers perceived as HPC vary over time, and (b) that it is often used as a marketing label. But that can be said for many aspects in IT: security, Cloud Computing, Grid Computing, P2P, ...

That does not mean that there is not a clear definition, or at least a clear understanding, on what HPC encompasses: in general, it is the area in IT which tries to solve advanced computational intensive problems on clusters or supercomputers.

Now, 'advanced computational problems' - that's a flexible term, and 'clusters' have not been around a couple of years ago, and who knows what the HPC resources will look like in 5 years. But people working in the area have a pretty good understanding of what advanced problems are (no obvious satisfyingly performant solution known on commodity hardware), and of what clusters and supercomputers are.

Best, Andre.

Last edited by Andre_Merzky; 02-06-2010 at 03:30 AM.. Reason: typo

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Performance Problem - High CPU utilization

Hello everybody. I have a problem with my AIX 5.3. Recently my unix shows a high cpu utilization with sar or topas. I need to find what I have to do to solve this problem, in fact, I don't know what is my problem. I had the same problem with another AIX 5.3 running the same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilder.mellotto
2 Replies

2. High Performance Computing

IBM Scheduler for High Throughput Computing on IBM Blue Gene P

A lightweight scheduler that supports high-throughput computing (HTC) applications on Blue Gene/P. (NEW: 06/12/2008 in grid) More... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

3. High Performance Computing

High Performance Computing

I am interested in setting up some High Performance Computing clusters and would like to get people's views and experiences on this. I have 2 requirements: 1. Compute clusters to do fast cpu intensive computations 2. Storage clusters of parallel and extendable filesystems spread across many... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: humbletech99
6 Replies

4. High Performance Computing

High performance Linkpack

hello everyone , Im new to HPL. i wanted to know whether High performance linpack solves linear system of equations for single precision airthmatic on LINUX. it works for double precision , so is there any HPL version which is for single precision.\ thanks . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul_viz
0 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Performance investigation, very high runq-sz %runocc

I've just been handed a hot potato from a colleague who left :(... our client has been complaining about slow performance on one of our servers. I'm not very experienced in investigating performance issues so I hoping someone will be so kind to provide some guidance Here is an overview of the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solarius
8 Replies

6. High Performance Computing

High Performance Linpack Compiling Issue

I'm trying to compile Linpack on a Ubuntu cluster. I'm running MPI. I've modified the following values to fit my system TOPdir MPdir LAlib CC LINKER. When compiling I get the following error: (the error is at the end, the other errors in between are because I've ran the script several times so... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JPJPJPJP
0 Replies
term::ansi::code(n)						 Terminal control					       term::ansi::code(n)

NAME
term::ansi::code - Helper for control sequences SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.4 package require term::ansi::code ?0.1? ::term::ansi::code::esc str ::term::ansi::code::escb str ::term::ansi::code::define name escape code ::term::ansi::code::const name code _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides commands enabling the definition of control sequences in an easy manner. ::term::ansi::code::esc str This command returns the argument string, prefixed with the ANSI escape character, "33." ::term::ansi::code::escb str This command returns the argument string, prefixed with a common ANSI escape sequence, "33[". ::term::ansi::code::define name escape code This command defines a procedure name which returns the control sequence code, beginning with the specified escape sequence, either esc, or escb. ::term::ansi::code::const name code This command defines a procedure name which returns the control sequence code. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category term of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. KEYWORDS
control, declare, define, terminal COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2006 Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> term 0.1 term::ansi::code(n)