Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with tail command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with tail command Post 302392770 by methyl on Friday 5th of February 2010 11:39:56 AM
Old 02-05-2010
Interestingly franklin52 version should generate the same error because $Count is empty at the time of the "tail" command thereby causing "tail - ". Update: franklin52 version now has $count and therefore does not have the problem in that form.

What is weird is why $Count is empty (or has a leading space character) in the original script also causing "tail - ".
Hmm. In many old scripts I have a sed to remove a spurious space character from the output of "wc -l".

Last edited by methyl; 02-05-2010 at 12:47 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

help with !(tail -2) command.. using pipes

I am trying to using pipe (|) with ! (not) operator to list all the other files except the latest two and I am using the following command. $ ls -ltr *.lst|!(tail -2) ksh: 20050211180252.lst: cannot execute but it is trying to execute the file returned by tail -2. I am able to do that in 4... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdlayeeq
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail command

Hi , I have found a interesting thing about tail command: when I tried to use 'tail -1 *' to look at every file with the current derectory, I only got one line of result of one file. But if I use 'head -1 *', I would get multiple lines. Is there a way to do get multiple lines with 'tail -1 *'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail command..

I was wondering how can I do this I have file myfile.txt wc -l is: 5 000 000 I have to remove first 1 000 000 lines from header.. I tryed with tail -4000000 myfile.txt>newfile.txt but it does not work... any help?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Tail command in one line

HI i have to copy the last 5000 lines form a log file and copy the same in the same file .overwriting the same log file. ex: tail -5000 testfile1 > testfile2 cat testfile2 mv tesftfile2 testfile1 will produce the correct result.but i want to have this done in one line???? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tail command with wildcard file name

Please help with the following command tail -f /appdata/logs/alert_audit517.txt | grep "Sep 02" The problem I have is with the file name "alert_audit517.txt". The 3 digit number at the end of the file name changes, so I need the file name to use a wildcard. Ive tried alert_audit***.txt, but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertson1995
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail command problems

Hi, In my home directory, there are so many files. i tried to get the lastly created file by following command. file=`ls -lrt MXOfiles* | tail -1` As there are so many files, it displays "$ : 0403-027 The parameter list is too long." Can someone tell me how can i get the recent file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JSKOBS
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail command help

Hi does anyone know how to create a file using the tail command? My book has this file I need to create and it says to use the tail command and that it is possible but I have no idea. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew211
4 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Using tail with the filter command

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Devise a chain of filters using some or all of the following programs pr, cut, cat, tail to display a numbered... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbell221
8 Replies

9. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Usage of tail command in .awk

Hi, I want to do file format using awk script, for that i wan to use 'tail'. Here is the scenario. I will be having set of files in a directory. Those files i need to write to another directory with same file name, but while writing the file to out directory, i need to write the last line as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkata Madhu
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Tail -f Command help

Hi Team, Can anyone help me here: I have to access server logs via putty and these logs file is a trailing file (continously updating) with ERROR and WARNINGS... I need to know if I can pull this trailing file to a local drive so that I can do some higlighting on some keywords through Notepad... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jitensetia
13 Replies
DH_INSTALLINIT(1)						     Debhelper							 DH_INSTALLINIT(1)

NAME
dh_installinit - install init scripts and/or upstart jobs into package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_installinit [debhelperoptions] [--name=name] [-n] [-R] [-r] [-d] [--params] DESCRIPTION
dh_installinit is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing init scripts with associated defaults files, as well as upstart job files into package build directories. It also automatically generates the postinst and postrm and prerm commands needed to set up the symlinks in /etc/rc*.d/ to start and stop the init scripts. FILES
debian/package.init If this exists, it is installed into etc/init.d/package in the package build directory. debian/package.default If this exists, it is installed into etc/default/package in the package build directory. debian/package.upstart If this exists, it is installed into etc/init/package.conf in the package build directory. OPTIONS
-n, --noscripts Do not modify postinst/postrm/prerm scripts. -o, --onlyscripts Only modify postinst/postrm/prerm scripts, do not actually install any init script, default files, or upstart job. May be useful if the init script or upstart job is shipped and/or installed by upstream in a way that doesn't make it easy to let dh_installinit find it. -R, --restart-after-upgrade Do not stop the init script until after the package upgrade has been completed. This is different than the default behavior, which stops the script in the prerm, and starts it again in the postinst. This can be useful for daemons that should not have a possibly long downtime during upgrade. But you should make sure that the daemon will not get confused by the package being upgraded while it's running before using this option. -r, --no-restart-on-upgrade Do not stop init script on upgrade. --no-start Do not start the init script on install or upgrade, or stop it on removal. Only call update-rc.d. Useful for rcS scripts. -d, --remove-d Remove trailing d from the name of the package, and use the result for the filename the upstart job file is installed as in etc/init/ , and for the filename the init script is installed as in etc/init.d and the default file is installed as in etc/default/ . This may be useful for daemons with names ending in d. (Note: this takes precedence over the --init-script parameter described below.) -uparams --update-rcd-params=params -- params Pass params to update-rc.d(8). If not specified, defaults will be passed to update-rc.d(8). --name=name Install the init script (and default file) as well as upstart job file using the filename name instead of the default filename, which is the package name. When this parameter is used, dh_installinit looks for and installs files named debian/package.name.init, debian/package.name.default and debian/package.name.upstart instead of the usual debian/package.init, debian/package.default and debian/package.upstart. --init-script=scriptname Use scriptname as the filename the init script is installed as in etc/init.d/ (and also use it as the filename for the defaults file, if it is installed). If you use this parameter, dh_installinit will look to see if a file in the debian/ directory exists that looks like package.scriptname and if so will install it as the init script in preference to the files it normally installs. This parameter is deprecated, use the --name parameter instead. This parameter is incompatible with the use of upstart jobs. --error-handler=function Call the named shell function if running the init script fails. The function should be provided in the prerm and postinst scripts, before the #DEBHELPER# token. NOTES
Note that this command is not idempotent. dh_prep(1) should be called between invocations of this command. Otherwise, it may cause multiple instances of the same text to be added to maintainer scripts. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHORS
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> Steve Langasek <steve.langasek@canonical.com> 9.20120909 2012-04-10 DH_INSTALLINIT(1)