Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Read only disks on Linux system Post 302391946 by wbdevilliers on Wednesday 3rd of February 2010 02:08:55 AM
Old 02-03-2010
This was a Virtual server running on ESX with a Netapp NFS data-store solution. Something screwed up the virtual disk... I rebooted it but obviously could not boot after that. It is fine, took me a few minutes to roll back the whole server to a previous snapshot.

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

donation on hpux system admin cbt disks

Does anyone has a CBT diskett on HPUX admin that you want to donate or sell for $50. I"m a newby admin in need of assistant... thanks..all :( (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpux2006
0 Replies

2. AIX

system disks on aix 5.3

hello i'm running on P570 box aix 5.3 8 cpus 24G ram there are 1850 users loged in to this box the problem is that the two sysytem disks busy all the time hdisk0 100% busy hdisk1 100% busy some one have an idea what writing to this disks? thanks ariec (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariec
9 Replies

3. Linux

Read data of a page frame (linux) make freeze the system

Hello, I'm writing a linux driver that reading the data of a page frame of an process. But when I use it, it make immediately freeze the system. Can you help me? Thank for reading my question! system: Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28.15, Intel Duo static int read_addr(int pid, unsigned long... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hahai
2 Replies

4. SCO

file system not getting mounted in read write mode after system power failure

After System power get failed File system is not getting mounted in read- write mode (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gtkpmbpl
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to create multiple-boot system with disks mirrored(RAID1+0) and disk alone

I have a HP proliant ML 570 G3 with two 146GB disk drives mirrored(RAID1+0) windows server 2003 was installed on that disk. I will add a disk.(scsi 300GB) I will install Linux on that additional disk. I want to create multiple-boot system. Is it possible? I wanna know how to create... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifegeek
0 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

Nagios: How to read the Linux system file?

hi 2 all i installed nagios in my linux srvr . check_ftp file is in format of system format . i wants to see the syntax for that script how can i read that file .. ??? please help me ! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ponmuthu
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Separated hard disks for Operating System and applications - better IO performance ?

Dear all, I would like to ask if there are any positive effects from having a dedicated hard disk for the operating system. The scenario would be to have a dedicated disk for the OS and a dedicated disk for the applications. Do you see any advantages in such a configuration such as better... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: petrospis
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How raw disks are read?

Hi Experts, If I understand correctly in posix standard system calls read/write or pread/pwrite a file descriptor should be sent. How it works in case of raw disk? Are there something like files on raw devices? Or these disks are read just using block coordinates? I want to understand how... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sant
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Determining number of hard disks in the system

Hello to all, what is the command in Solaris/Unix which I can use to determine how many hard disks exist in the system? I have tried with different command such as df -lk and similar but cannot know for sure how many actual disks are installed. Commands like # fdisk -l | grep Disk and #... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mick
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to scan the disks and make file system

Hi What I'm trying to do(manually) is logging into the server and running the below mentioned commands ls /sys/class/scsi_device/ | while read i; do echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_device/$i/device/rescan;done lsblk echo -e "o\nn\np\n1\n\n\nw" | fdisk /dev/sdd partx -a /dev/sdd1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: James0806
7 Replies
NDBOOTD(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						NDBOOTD(8)

NAME
ndbootd -- Sun Network Disk (ND) Protocol server SYNOPSIS
ndbootd [-s boot2] [-i interface] [-w windowsize] [-d] boot1 DESCRIPTION
ndbootd is a server which supports the Sun Network Disk (ND) Protocol. This protocol was designed by Sun before they designed NFS. ND sim- ply makes the raw blocks of a disk available to network clients. Contrast this with the true namespace and file abstractions that NFS pro- vides. The only reason you're likely to encounter ND nowadays is if you have an old Sun 2 machine, like the 2/120 or 2/50. The Sun 2 PROMs can only use ND to boot over the network. (Later, the Sun 3 PROMs would use RARP and TFTP to boot over the network.) ndbootd is a very simple ND server that only supports client reads for booting. It exports a disk that the clients consider to be /dev/ndp0 (ND public unit zero). The disk is available only to clients that are listed in /etc/ethers and have valid hostnames. (Sun 2 PROMs don't do RARP, but they do learn their IP address from the first ND response they receive from the server.) boot1 is a file containing the mandatory first-stage network boot program, typically /usr/mdec/bootyy. The layout of the exported disk is: o block 0: normally a Sun disklabel (but ignored by the PROM) o blocks 1-15: the first-stage network boot program With the -s boot2 option, ndbootd will also make a second-stage network boot program available to clients, typically /usr/mdec/netboot. When boot2 is a filename, that file is the single second-stage network boot program to be served to all clients. When boot2 is a directory name, typically /tftpboot, ndbootd finds a client's second-stage network boot program by turning its IP address into a filename in that directory, in the same manner later Sun 3 PROMs do when TFTPing (i.e., if a client has IP address 192.168.1.10, ndbootd expects to find /tftpboot/C0A8010A.SUN2 ). When used in this last manner with an ND-aware first-stage boot program, ndbootd serves the same purpose in the Sun 2 netboot process as tftpd(8) serves in the Sun 3 netboot process. Any second-stage network boot program always begins at block 16 of the exported disk, regardless of the length of the first-stage network boot program. All first- and second-stage network boot programs must have all executable headers stripped off; they must be raw binary programs. The remaining options are: -i interface Only listen for ND clients on interface interface. Normally ndbootd listens for clients on the first non-loopback IP interface that is up and running. -w windowsize This adjusts the window size of the ND protocol. This is the number of 1-kilobyte packets that can be transmitted before waiting for an acknowledgement. Defaults to 6. -d Run in debug mode. Debugging output goes to standard error and the server will not fork. FILES
/etc/ethers /etc/hosts SEE ALSO
tftpd(8) BUGS
Whether or not there is a second-stage network boot program, the exported disk appears to all clients to have infinite length. The content of all blocks not used by the first- or second-stage network boot programs is undefined. All client reads of undefined blocks are silently allowed by the server. BSD
May 9, 2001 BSD