Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Read only disks on Linux system Post 302391716 by pludi on Tuesday 2nd of February 2010 09:28:32 AM
Old 02-02-2010
If the disk has I/O errors, shouldn't you be more concerned with repairing/recovering that, instead of doing a (possibly dangerous) write operation?

But if you really want to go through with it:
Code:
mount -oremount,rw /path/to/disk

should mount the device in read/write mode. However, should you lose data due to that, neither I nor the UNIX and Linux Forums can be held liable.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

donation on hpux system admin cbt disks

Does anyone has a CBT diskett on HPUX admin that you want to donate or sell for $50. I"m a newby admin in need of assistant... thanks..all :( (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpux2006
0 Replies

2. AIX

system disks on aix 5.3

hello i'm running on P570 box aix 5.3 8 cpus 24G ram there are 1850 users loged in to this box the problem is that the two sysytem disks busy all the time hdisk0 100% busy hdisk1 100% busy some one have an idea what writing to this disks? thanks ariec (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariec
9 Replies

3. Linux

Read data of a page frame (linux) make freeze the system

Hello, I'm writing a linux driver that reading the data of a page frame of an process. But when I use it, it make immediately freeze the system. Can you help me? Thank for reading my question! system: Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28.15, Intel Duo static int read_addr(int pid, unsigned long... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hahai
2 Replies

4. SCO

file system not getting mounted in read write mode after system power failure

After System power get failed File system is not getting mounted in read- write mode (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gtkpmbpl
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to create multiple-boot system with disks mirrored(RAID1+0) and disk alone

I have a HP proliant ML 570 G3 with two 146GB disk drives mirrored(RAID1+0) windows server 2003 was installed on that disk. I will add a disk.(scsi 300GB) I will install Linux on that additional disk. I want to create multiple-boot system. Is it possible? I wanna know how to create... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifegeek
0 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

Nagios: How to read the Linux system file?

hi 2 all i installed nagios in my linux srvr . check_ftp file is in format of system format . i wants to see the syntax for that script how can i read that file .. ??? please help me ! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ponmuthu
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Separated hard disks for Operating System and applications - better IO performance ?

Dear all, I would like to ask if there are any positive effects from having a dedicated hard disk for the operating system. The scenario would be to have a dedicated disk for the OS and a dedicated disk for the applications. Do you see any advantages in such a configuration such as better... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: petrospis
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How raw disks are read?

Hi Experts, If I understand correctly in posix standard system calls read/write or pread/pwrite a file descriptor should be sent. How it works in case of raw disk? Are there something like files on raw devices? Or these disks are read just using block coordinates? I want to understand how... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sant
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Determining number of hard disks in the system

Hello to all, what is the command in Solaris/Unix which I can use to determine how many hard disks exist in the system? I have tried with different command such as df -lk and similar but cannot know for sure how many actual disks are installed. Commands like # fdisk -l | grep Disk and #... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mick
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to scan the disks and make file system

Hi What I'm trying to do(manually) is logging into the server and running the below mentioned commands ls /sys/class/scsi_device/ | while read i; do echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_device/$i/device/rescan;done lsblk echo -e "o\nn\np\n1\n\n\nw" | fdisk /dev/sdd partx -a /dev/sdd1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: James0806
7 Replies
xfs_freeze(8)                                                 System Manager's Manual                                                xfs_freeze(8)

NAME
xfs_freeze - suspend access to an XFS filesystem SYNOPSIS
xfs_freeze -f | -u mount-point DESCRIPTION
xfs_freeze suspends and resumes access to an XFS filesystem (see xfs(5)). xfs_freeze halts new access to the filesystem and creates a stable image on disk. xfs_freeze is intended to be used with volume managers and hardware RAID devices that support the creation of snapshots. The mount-point argument is the pathname of the directory where the filesystem is mounted. The filesystem must be mounted to be frozen (see mount(8)). The -f flag requests the specified XFS filesystem to be frozen from new modifications. When this is selected, all ongoing transactions in the filesystem are allowed to complete, new write system calls are halted, other calls which modify the filesystem are halted, and all dirty data, metadata, and log information are written to disk. Any process attempting to write to the frozen filesystem will block waiting for the filesystem to be unfrozen. Note that even after freezing, the on-disk filesystem can contain information on files that are still in the process of unlinking. These files will not be unlinked until the filesystem is unfrozen or a clean mount of the snapshot is complete. The -u flag is used to un-freeze the filesystem and allow operations to continue. Any filesystem modifications that were blocked by the freeze are unblocked and allowed to complete. One of -f or -u must be supplied to xfs_freeze. NOTES
A copy of a frozen XFS filesystem will usually have the same universally unique identifier (UUID) as the original, and thus may be pre- vented from being mounted. The XFS nouuid mount option can be used to circumvent this issue. In Linux kernel version 2.6.29, the interface which XFS uses to freeze and unfreeze was elevated to the VFS, so that this tool can now be used on many other Linux filesystems. SEE ALSO
xfs(5), lvm(8), mount(8). xfs_freeze(8)