Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash script too slow
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash script too slow Post 302390885 by dpc.ucore.info on Friday 29th of January 2010 10:19:32 AM
Old 01-29-2010
You don't seem to use regex at all. Use a "fgrep" or "grep -F" to work in fixed strings mode. This way it processing time will be nothing comparing to reading data from the disk.

---------- Post updated at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:11 PM ----------

OK. I can see that you're reading each file multiple times. This is the cause of the problem, not processing time.

Use basic grep regexes and first compose the string of usernames like this:

Code:
user1|user2|user3|user4|...

Then grep each source file looking for all matches at once. Don't use

Code:
cat FILE | grep STRING

This is slower then simple:

Code:
grep STRING FILE

!
Save all matches to temporary file and from this file check for each username. As this file should be much smaller then the original (I assume) you will save much time when reading it multiple time for each user.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

My script runs too slow :-(...

Hello experts, I have a series issue in script that result with bad peformence and I wonder if you can assist me. For example I have two files: File-New, size 15Mb. File-Old, size 1Mb. File-New content: a b c k File-Old content: d f a b (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: roybe
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to add numbers is slow

Hi, I am running a BASH shell with the following script. The script works and gives me correct output but is very slow with large files. The more rows and columns (width and height) the slower as you can probably see. How can I do what I want more efficiently? Any ideas welcome. It has been... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: macsurveyr
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Slow Perl script: how to speed up?

I had written a perl script to compare two files: new and master and get the output of the first file i.e. the first file: words that are not in the master file STRUCTURE OF THE TWO FILES The first file is a series of names ramesh sushil jonga sudesh lugdi whereas the second file (could be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with slow KSH script

My script builds a lot of these array lists, then compares their sizes which solves my problem, but runs very slow. :( set -A comboSorted -- $( for x in ${IDs} do nawk -v s=$x ' BEGIN { testPattern="^" s "$" } { if ( $2 ~ testPattern ) { getline;getline; if ($1 == "IMAGE_SIZE") print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nerdcurious
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Slow Script Execution.

Basically my requirement is to know the total number of free anonymous ports. anonymous port range is 32768- 65535. i wrote a script for that ********************************************** for i in {32768..65535} do netstat -an | grep $i > /dev/null if ... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
21 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Slow down output from dhclient-script to screen

Hi I know the basic about script and sleep processes. However this is more tricky: I would like to run sh -x /sbin/dhclient-script and slow down the output of the script as a whole. How would you do it? I would like to delay output on the screen with 1 second for every line for the output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: medium_linux
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script reading file slow

I have shell program as below #!/bin/sh echo ======= LogManageri start ========== #This directory is getting the raw data from remote server Raw_data=/opt/ftplogs # This directory is ready for process the data Processing_dir=/opt/processing_dir # This directory is prcoessed files and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chenchireddy
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Slow Under Cron Only!

I've got a BASH script that runs much faster from the command line than when invoked under CRON. Ideas? Priority? IO? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gmark99
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bin/bash - xmessage very slow

Hello, I am showing the start of my script. I am finding that 'xmessage' is taking about 12-15 seconds to show. This in a terminal is very quick '/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd get_camera'. Is there any way to get 'camera not detected' to show faster. Regards #!/bin/bash s=$(/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad-hatter
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies
XZGREP(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZGREP(1)

NAME
xzgrep - search compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
xzgrep [grep_options] [-e] pattern file... xzegrep ... xzfgrep ... lzgrep ... lzegrep ... lzfgrep ... DESCRIPTION
xzgrep invokes grep(1) on files which may be either uncompressed or compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), or lzop(1). All options specified are passed directly to grep(1). If no file is specified, then standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep(1). When reading from standard input, gzip(1), bzip2(1), and lzop(1) compressed files are not supported. If xzgrep is invoked as xzegrep or xzfgrep then egrep(1) or fgrep(1) is used instead of grep(1). The same applies to names lzgrep, lze- grep, and lzfgrep, which are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. ENVIRONMENT
GREP If the GREP environment variable is set, xzgrep uses it instead of grep(1), egrep(1), or fgrep(1). SEE ALSO
grep(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), lzop(1), zgrep(1) Tukaani 2011-03-19 XZGREP(1)