Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tar exclude
Operating Systems SCO Tar exclude Post 302389832 by haezeban on Tuesday 26th of January 2010 05:06:13 AM
Old 01-26-2010
Tar exclude

Hi,

We work on a UNIX SCO SCO_SV Release = 3.2v5.0.5.
I have a folowing structure
Code:
/u/usr/lpp
/u/usr/lpp/SQL
/u/usr/lpp/DIR2

I use following tar to backup the /u/usr/lpp directory

Code:
cd /u/usr/lpp
tar cvf /u/usr/backup/backup.tar .

Now I want to exclude the subdirectory SQL.
I tried everything but nothing works
examples
Code:
tar cvf /u/usr/backup/backup.tar --exclude=./SQL .
tar cvf /u/usr/backup/backup.tar --exclude='./SQL' . 
tar cvf /u/usr/backup/backup.tar --exclude=.u/usr/lpp/SQL .
tar cvf /u/usr/backup/backup.tar --exclude=./SQL /* .
tar cvf /u/usr/backup/backup.tar . --exclude=./SQL

Can somebody point me out.
Thanks a lot.

Last edited by pludi; 01-26-2010 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

tar: how to exclude subdirectories?

If i have a bunch of directories that i normally backup with this: tar cvhf /dev/rmt/0 /export/home How can i exclude certain subdirectories under the /export/home? tar cvhf /dev/rmt/0 /export/home | grep -v 'test' ? will that exclude anything named test, and any subdirectories under test? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting 'tar' to exclude

I want 'tar' to exclude certain dir's. tar cvf ............. ............ does the whole lot, but I want to exclude the 'log' dirs. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuultak
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar directory but exclude other

OS: SunOS perfs01 5.8 Generic_117350-23 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-i2 I want to tar a directory, but there are subdirectoires I want to exclude. Does anyone know how to do it? Please help. thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: leemjesse
1 Replies

4. Solaris

tar exclude list

I have solaris 8, I want to create tar for all files under this directory structure #/export/home/atg/Dynamo/home There is a subdirectory under this tree called servers/supersds/logs I want to exclude logs subdirectory so I created exclude list which contains servers/supersds/logs But tar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exclude a directory to tar

If use tar file from a directory , how to exclude a sub-directory in this directory ? ll drw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Oct 12 11:58 b drw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Oct 12 10:54 c drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 12 11:57 d drw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Oct 12 10:54 d eg . I want to tar all files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Exclude the Path in TAR ?

Hi Is there any way to exclude the absolute path while using Tar , like am using the command # tar cvf mytar.tar /home/rakesh/myback/ when i extract the mytar.tar then it shows as /home /rakesh ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

working with tar exclude command

i have issue with tar, let me explain when i run below command it works perfectly as usual. tar -cvf /tmp/temp.tar --exclude="exclusion expression" dir my requirement is --exclude="exclusion expression" will come from another variable. so when i execute below command: tar -cvf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayyadavmca
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar --exclude with curly braces

I'm having trouble understanding the exclude option in tar. From some web sites, it seems one is able to exclude several strings by enclosing them in curly brackets. However it seems to be "random" what gets excluded when using the curlies. I've been using the exclude-from=myfile option in a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: majest
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exclude file with tar

hi, i am trying to use a exclude file to exclude some file directories while making a tar archive. This is my command: tar -pcvf orahome10gR2.tar.gz db_1 -X /home/oracle/excludeFile.txt /home/oracle/ when i execute it, it seem to be tar-ing. But once is done, i cd to /home/oracle and could... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redologger
2 Replies

10. Solaris

TAR exclude is not working !

I have solaris 10 and my following exclude is not working: tar -cvf /export/home/backups/$audit-Data-$useday.bkup.tar /Data --exclude=/Data/ssg/output a /Data/ssg/output/ 0K a /Data/ssg/output/ssg-ported508.txt 107142K a /Data/ssg/output/ssg-ported747.txt 1801K a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
4 Replies
MAKECSD(1)						  The Canonical Csound Reference						MAKECSD(1)

NAME
makecsd - Creates a CSD file from the specified input files. . DESCRIPTION
Creates a CSD file from the specified input files. The first input file that has a .orc extension (case is not significant) is put to the <CsInstruments> section, and the first input file that has a .sco extension becomes <CsScore>. Any remaining files are Base64 encoded and added as <CsFileB> tags. An empty <CsOptions> section is always added. Some text filtering is performed on the orchestra and score file: o newlines are converted to the native format of the system on which makecsd is being run. o blank lines are removed from the beginning and end of files. o any trailing whitespace is removed from the end of lines. o optionally, tabs can be expanded to spaces with an user specified tabstop size. SYNTAX
makecsd [OPTIONS ... ] infile1 [ infile2 [ ... ]] INITIALIZATION
Flags: o - t n = expand tabs to spaces using tabstop size n (default: disabled). This applies only to the orchestra and score file. o - w n = set Base64 line width to n (default: 72). Note: the orchestra and score are not wrapped. o - o fname = output file name (default: stdout) EXAMPLES
makecsd -t 6 -w 78 -o file.csd file.mid file.orc file.sco sample.aif This creates a CSD from file.orc and file.sco (tabs are expanded to spaces assuming a tabstop size of 6 characters), and file.mid and sample.aif are added as <CsFileB> tags containing Base64 encoded data with a line width of 78 characters. The output file is file.csd. CREDITS
Author: Istvan Varga Jan 2003 AUTHORS
Barry Vercoe MIT Media Lab Author. Dan Ellis MIT Media Lab, Cambridge Massachussetts Author. COPYRIGHT
5.10 08/01/2011 MAKECSD(1)