Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Swapping strings in a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Swapping strings in a file Post 302388301 by vino on Wednesday 20th of January 2010 02:31:24 AM
Old 01-20-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tej_89
Hi,

How to swap two strings in a file ?
Ex: "ABC" to be swapped with "XYZ"
"ABC" and "XYZ" donot occur in a same line .
String has ""

Regards
Tej
Usually you could use sed or perl. If you have GNU sed which has the -i flag, you could use sed. Else perl is good.
Code:
sed -i -e "s/ABC/XYZ/g"
perl -p -i -e "s/ABC/XYz/g"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping of fields in a file

Hi I have afile with 15fields,say f1,f2....f15 delimited on comma. How can i swap the f1,f15 fields using unix shell commands or any script? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksailesh
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping IP Addresses In A File With Those From Another File

Hello, I'm looking for a way to change the IP addresses in a large host file with those of matching hostnames in another file. For example, I have a file with file1 contains lines like: 192.168.0.55 hostname hostname.network.lan 192.168.0.52 junkhost junkhost.network.dev... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PointyWombat
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines in file containing duplicate strings, keeping longer strings

The question is not as simple as the title... I have a file, it looks like this <string name="string1">RZ-LED</string> <string name="string2">2.0</string> <string name="string2">Version 2.0</string> <string name="string3">BP</string> I would like to check for duplicate entries of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract two strings from a file and create a new file with these strings

I have the following lines in a log file. It would be great if some one can help me to create a new file with the just entries in the below format. 66.150.161.195 HPSAC=Z05 66.150.161.196 HPSAC=A05 That is just extract the IP address and the string DPSAC=its value 66.150.161.195 -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swapping the columns of a text file for a subset of rows

Hi, I'd like to swap the columns 1 and 2 of a space-delimited text file but only for the first 1000 rows. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping of fields in file

Hi Friends , I have file1.txt 1|b|46|123|47673|348738 2|c|63|124|7346|4783 3|y|45|125|5555|78789 output should swap the 4th field to the first field. output 123|1|b|46|47673|348738 124|2|c|63|7346|4783 125|3|y|45|5555|78789 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to pass strings from a list of strings from another file and create multiple files?

Hello Everyone , Iam a newbie to shell programming and iam reaching out if anyone can help in this :- I have two files 1) Insert.txt 2) partition_list.txt insert.txt looks like this :- insert into emp1 partition (partition_name) (a1, b2, c4, s6, d8) select a1, b2, c4, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nubie2linux
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use strings from nth field from one file to match strings in entire line in another file, awk

I cannot seem to get what should be a simple awk one-liner to work correctly and cannot figure out why. I would like to use patterns from a specific field in one file as regex to search for matching strings in the entire line ($0) of another file. I would like to output the lines of File2 which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jvoot
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

(g)awk: Matching strings from one file in another file between two strings

Hello all, I can get close to what I am looking for but cannot seem to hit it exactly and was wondering if I could get your help. I have the following sample from textfile with many thousands of lines: File 1 PS001,001 HLK PS002,004 L<G PS004,002 XNN PS004,006 BVX PS004,006 ZBX=... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with 'nwbpvalues -c'. See util/nwbpsecurity for an example. As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)