Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting formatting tab with even size Post 302388139 by clx on Tuesday 19th of January 2010 02:05:17 PM
Old 01-19-2010
you can format the output with printf.

Code:
echo 'x y' | awk '{printf "%s%16s\n", $1, $2}'
x               y

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to change the tab size in vi?

the default size is 8. i found it's too big. how can i change the tab size in vi? is it a good idea to change it at all? thks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gusla
12 Replies

2. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Directory size larger than file system size?

Hi, We currently have an Oracle database running and it is creating lots of processes in the /proc directory that are 1000M in size. The size of the /proc directory is now reading 26T. How can this be if the root file system is only 13GB? I have seen this before we an Oracle temp file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

The scripts not able to make the file to size 0, every times it go back to its original size

#!/bin/sh ########################################################################################################## #This script is being used for AOK application for cleaning up the .out files and zip it under logs directory. # IBM # Created #For pdocap201/pdoca202 .out files for AOK #1.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridul10_crj
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert LF and TAB for formatting

trying to insert a LF and 2 TABs for this: sed 's/<td><\/td>/<td>\n\t\t<\/td>/' infile. but, I'm not getting the syntax for inserting the LF and TABs correct (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to read file size and send email only if size > 0.

Hi Experts, I have a script like $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus username/password # << ENDSQL set pagesize 0 trim on feedback off verify off echo off newp none timing off set serveroutput on set heading off spool Schemaerrtmp.txt select ' TIMESTAMP COMPUTER NAME ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: welldone
5 Replies

7. Linux

kde 4.3 and tab size

Hi Guys I have just upgraded to kde4 and i noticed that the default tab size in konsole are massive, i cannot see the setting to change this any hlep thanks Adam (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Physical disk IO size smaller than fragment block filesystem size ?

Hello, in one default UFS filesystem we have 8K block size (bsize) and 1K fragmentsize (fsize). At this scenary I thought all "FileSytem IO" will be 8K (or greater) but never smaller than the fragment size (1K). If a UFS fragment/blocksize is allwasy several ADJACENTS sectors on disk (in a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rarino2
4 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Change tab size to 4

forum members, gvim version 6.0.150.0 Vi has been my favorite editor for over 30 years. Mostly with Unix but now with windows XP. It works fine but I want to change the tab to 4 spaces instead of 8. I read on the internet that I can edit the .vimrc file but I only have an _vimrc... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerryd
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ls directory size reporting byte size instead of file count

I have been searching both on Unix.com and Google and have not been able to find the answer to my question. I think it is partly because I can't come up with the right search terms. Recently, my virtual server switched storage devices and I think the problem may be related to that change.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmgibby
2 Replies
fspec(4)							   File Formats 							  fspec(4)

NAME
fspec - format specification in text files DESCRIPTION
It is sometimes convenient to maintain text files on the system with non-standard tabs, (tabs that are not set at every eighth column). Such files must generally be converted to a standard format, frequently by replacing all tabs with the appropriate number of spaces, before they can be processed by system commands. A format specification occurring in the first line of a text file specifies how tabs are to be expanded in the remainder of the file. A format specification consists of a sequence of parameters separated by blanks and surrounded by the brackets <: and :>. Each parameter consists of a keyletter, possibly followed immediately by a value. The following parameters are recognized: ttabs The t parameter specifies the tab settings for the file. The value of tabs must be one of the following: o A list of column numbers separated by commas, indicating tabs set at the specified columns. o A '-' followed immediately by an integer n, indicating tabs at intervals of n columns. o A '-' followed by the name of a ``canned'' tab specification. Standard tabs are specified by t-8, or equivalently, t1,9,17,25, etc. The canned tabs that are recognized are defined by the tabs(1) command. ssize The s parameter specifies a maximum line size. The value of size must be an integer. Size checking is performed after tabs have been expanded, but before the margin is prepended. mmargin The m parameter specifies a number of spaces to be prepended to each line. The value of margin must be an integer. d The d parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the line containing the format specification is to be deleted from the converted file. e The e parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the current format is to prevail only until another format specifi- cation is encountered in the file. Default values, which are assumed for parameters not supplied, are t-8 and m0. If the s parameter is not specified, no size checking is performed. If the first line of a file does not contain a format specification, the above defaults are assumed for the entire file. The following is an example of a line containing a format specification: * <:t5,10,15 s72:> * If a format specification can be disguised as a comment, it is not necessary to code the d parameter. SEE ALSO
ed(1), newform(1), tabs(1) SunOS 5.11 3 Jul 1990 fspec(4)