Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Corrupted Hard Drive
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Corrupted Hard Drive Post 302382023 by fpmurphy on Monday 21st of December 2009 09:31:52 PM
Old 12-21-2009
The kernel panic is due to the nash script interpreter, which is part of initramfs ( switchroot, etc. are nash subcommands), being unable to mount the file systems.

Of more interest is the fact both logical volumes are not available according to the output from lvdisplay
Code:
LV Status NOT available

If the logical volumes are not available for some reason, then the filesystems on these logical volumes are not available, and thus cannot be mounted.

One possibility is that the LVM metadata is corrupt. LVM maintains the metadata backup in /etc/lvm/backup and /etc/lvm/archive, if you haven't turned off the auto backup feature of LVM. Try restoring the LVM metadata using vgcfgrestore. This should work if the damage to LVM metadata are minor. If the damage to LVM metadata is major, the disk will not be recognized. In such cases, you first need to restore the UUID for the missing device. To do so, compare the output of pvscan and cat /proc/partitions and paste the required UUID using the results of pvscan. You can then use vgcfgrestore to restore LVM metadata. If either of these methods work, make sure to fsck the filesystem(s) before mounting.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Partition Hard drive

Hello everyone. I am new to Linux so hope some one could help me here. I have a 30 Gb HD and windows Xp is my O/S, HD is not partitioned,but I want to Partitioned it, so I could Install Knoppix(Linux)on one of the partitioned one, how could I do this? OR should I erase every thing and then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amir
1 Replies

2. SCO

Processor and Hard Drive

I trying to learn Unix and I am using SCO Unixware 7.1. Below are three question that I have: 1) Can someone tell me what command I can use to find out the system processor speed. 2) Can someone tell me what command I can use to find out what's the hard drive size of my unix box. 3) Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etaup02
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing hard drive

Hi, Can someone answer to my question.I' totally new to Unix. What is the command for removing the hard drive from the system? Thanks a lot, Puja (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pujathakral
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to copy old hard drive to new hard drive.

:confused: ........I have a new hard drive and I need to copy ALL info from the old to the new. I would like to use the dd command. I know the command is as follows...... dd if=/dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0 of=/dev/rdsk/???????? Where I have the question marks is the problem. How do I find out what the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
4 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

The best partitioning schem for a 250GB Sata hard drive & a 75GB SCSI hard drive

Hi I have 2 75GB SCSI hard drives and 2 250GB SATA hard drives which are using RAID Level 1 respectively. I wana have both FTP and Apache installed on them as services. I'm wondering what's the best partitioning schem? I wana use FC3 as my OS, so, I thought I can use the 75GB hard drive as the /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbijan
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Using the rest of my hard drive

Hi When I installed opensolaris, I installed it on a 20GB partition. How do I make use of the other 300GB I have spare? format shows:- -bash-3.2# format Searching for disks...done AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c3d0 <DEFAULT cyl 2607 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63> ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellotommy
12 Replies

7. SCO

I need a help with accessing the hard drive

Hello guys, I have got from a friend a hard disk which was used in the SCO OpenServer. He needs some data from it. I have no clue how to copy its content with Linux or Windows-I have tried few Linux distros but the result is always the same-the file system is not recognized so can't be mounted.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kataro
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Hard drive formating

Im trying to install a fresh version of Fedora 17. I keep getting formating errors when trying to reformat the hard drive. I recieve errors as well I I try to use the entire disk for the install instead of creat new partitions from scratch. I even tried fromatting the disk using PartedMagic and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fingerz
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

External hard drive

I have connected an external hard drive. I can't find it. Both ls /media, fdisk -l and ls /dev show nothing. TIA (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meow613
3 Replies
DISTRO-INFO(1)						      General Commands Manual						    DISTRO-INFO(1)

NAME
distro-info - provides information about the distributions' releases SYNOPSIS
distro-info [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
distro-info is a symlink to the distro-info command for your distribution. On Debian it links to debian-distro-info and on Ubuntu it links to ubuntu-distro-info. All options described in this manual page are available in all distro-info commands. All other options, which are not described here, are distribution specific. OPTIONS
--date=DATE date for calculating the version (default: today) -h, --help display help message and exit -a, --all list all known versions -d, --devel latest development version -s, --stable latest stable version --supported list of all supported stable versions --unsupported list of all unsupported stable versions -c, --codename print the codename (default) -r, --release print the release version -f, --fullname print the full name SEE ALSO
debian-distro-info(1), ubuntu-distro-info(1) AUTHOR
The script and this manual page was written by Benjamin Drung <bdrung@debian.org>. distro-info January 2011 DISTRO-INFO(1)