Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare the checksum of files in 2 different folders Post 302381586 by reldb on Friday 18th of December 2009 09:34:13 PM
Old 12-18-2009
Compare the checksum of files in 2 different folders

Hi

I have 2 different folders on different machines. they are supposed to be same but some time for unknown reason they are not. then we have to generate a report for files which are not matching.

I was doing as below -

Code:
cd folder1
find . -type f | sort | cksum >1.txt

cd folder2
find . -type f | sort | cksum >2.txt

1)
Code:
diff -w 1.txt 2.txt

still it shows lot of lines in diff even when file name/path/size/checksum is same. is there any nice and clean way to report the expected result.

2) i was able to generate good results (but not good format) by using -
Code:
cat 1.txt 2.txt | sort -k 3,3 | uniq -u

it does not tell me which file is from which folder (there is no < or > sign as we have in diff)

is there any other best way to do it ?

Thanks
Rel

Last edited by Franklin52; 12-19-2009 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote compare of folders

Hi, Is there a way (either commands/tools/scripts/logic) to compare two given folders on different unix boxes. I want to compare folder a in Unix box 'A' with folder 'b' in Unix box 'B'. I can run the script in Unix box 'A'. I am looking. for following results: files/sub folders only in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunilav
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 folders...

Hello, I try to compare 2 folders, i explain, i have file in this 2 folder and i want to print out the difference in this folders... ex: folder1: file1 file2 file3 folder2: file1 file2 print file3 I do a ls of the 2 folders and i use the command diff (diff $var1 $var2) without... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: protocomm
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare files in two folders and delete missing ones

I do not know much about shell scripting so I am at a loss here. If someone can help me, that would be great! I have two directories /dir1 /dir2 I need to delete all files from /dir1 and that does not have a correspondent file in /dir2. It should NOT check file suffixes in /dir2 . Why?... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaah
20 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 folders to find several missing files among huge amounts of files.

Hi, all: I've got two folders, say, "folder1" and "folder2". Under each, there are thousands of files. It's quite obvious that there are some files missing in each. I just would like to find them. I believe this can be done by "diff" command. However, if I change the above question a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiapei100
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare files in two folders using cmp?

i recently copied 400GB of data from a NTFS drive to a ext4 drive. I want to verify that the data is 100% identical to the original. I wanted to use cmp but it only does two files. The directory that was copied contains many subdirectories and all sorts of files (not just text). So I guess... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fuzzylogic25
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for folders/parent folders not files.

Hello again, A little while back I got help with creating a command to search all directories and sub directories for files from daystart of day x. I'm wondering if there is a command that I've overlooked that may be able to search for / write folder names to an output file which ideally... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
2 Replies

7. IP Networking

Wireshark UDP checksum bad checksum

Hello I am communicating with two devices using my computer over UDP protocol. The application is running fine. When I monitored the UDP traffic using Wireshark software, I found that there were too many Checksum errors. Please find attached the png file showing this error. I am about to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AustinCann
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux Script to compare two folders and copy missing files

Hi, I need help in shell scripting. If someone can help me, that would be great! Problem. I want Linux Script to compare two folders and copy missing files. Description. I have two directories /dir1 /dir2 I need to copy all distinct/new/unique/missing files from /dir1 and that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: S.Praveen Kumar
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy files/folders and show the files/folders?

Hi, So i know we use cp -r as a basic to copy folders/files. I would like this BUT i would like to show the output of the files being copied. With the amazing knowledge i have i have gone as far as this: 1) find source/* -exec cp -r {} target/ \; 2) for ObjectToBeCopied in `find... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Imre
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compare files in 2 folders and delete the large file

Hello, my first thread here. I've been searching and fiddling around for about a week and I cannot find a solution.:confused: I have been converting all of my home videos to HEVC and sometimes the files end up smaller and sometimes they don't. I am currently comparing all the video files... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Josh52180
5 Replies
cksum(n)							       cksum								  cksum(n)

NAME
cksum - calculate a cksum(1) compatible checksum SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require cksum ?1.0? ::crc::cksum ?-format format? message ::crc::cksum ?-format format? -filename file DESCRIPTION
This package provides a Tcl-only implementation of the cksum(1) algorithm based upon information provided at in the GNU implementation of this program as part of the GNU Textutils 2.0 package. COMMANDS
::crc::cksum ?-format format? message ::crc::cksum ?-format format? -filename file The command takes string data or a file name and returns a checksum value calculated using the cksum(1) algorithm. The result is formatted using the format(n) specifier provided or as an unsigned integer (%u) by default. OPTIONS
-filename name Return a checksum for the file contents instead of for parameter data. -format string Return the checksum using an alternative format template. EXAMPLES
% crc::cksum "Hello, World!" 2609532967 % crc::cksum -format 0x%X "Hello, World!" 0x9B8A5027 % crc::cksum -file cksum.tcl 1828321145 SEE ALSO
sum(n), crc32(n) AUTHORS
Pat Thoyts KEYWORDS
cksum, checksum, crc, crc32, cyclic redundancy check, data integrity, security crc 1.0 cksum(n)