Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to print exact field number Post 302380032 by covis on Monday 14th of December 2009 04:07:56 AM
Old 12-14-2009
Data awk to print exact field number

Hello there.
I want some help with awk
I have this script that reads a file from awk and you can insert from keyboard any list from the fields that exist so to be printed on monitor

Code:
echo "give a choice"
read -a ans
array=${ans[@]}
awk -F: -v k="$array" '{
                         split(k,l," ")
                         for(i=1;i<=NF;i++)
                            {          
                                         printf("%s \t",$l[i])

}  printf("\n")
                       }' /etc/passwd

I get the field numbers from an array and then I split this array in awk.
If I try to print "l[i]" it works but when I try to print it as field number I dont get the correct result.

I want my outpout to be something like this :
Code:
for example:
>give a choice
:1 5 3
and then I will like to print the first field in each line then the 5th and then the 3rd
first fifth third
first fifth third
first fifth third

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

use awk to aggregrate the field number

Hi, I have a various files;each filled with hundreds of line with similar number of fields. I would like to extract out field $5 from each of this file and aggregate them before printing out to a file. I tried to :- #!/usr/bin/awk -f file="file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt file4.txt" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print matching field using awk

Hi All, I have a string like below: str="Hold=True Map=False 'This will map the data' Run=Yes Modify=False" I want to print the field Run=Yes and retrive the value "Yes". I cannot use simple awk command because the position of the "Run" will be different at different times. Is there a way... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakgang
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[awk] print from field n to field x

Hi, I'm trying to print every line from first field to the fourth from a file containing more. $ cat input a b c d e f g a b c d e f gI'm trying awk '{for (i=1; i <= NF-3; i++) print $i}' awkTest.datbut it printsa b c d a b c dSo, I easily guess I'm wrong. :) Of course, I want:a b... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: daPeach
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Awk command to print the field

894344202808090;11122;040320 075858 166;101;0;0;10u;0;NA;65;221890;2;101973;185059;568674;Y; PRE;0;0;NA;NA;0;NA;0;NA;textmsg;textmsg_snd1;telusmob;TEXTMSG1;0.15000000;126037;2010/03/04 12:58:57gmt;0;70532192; plz tell me any awk command which on the basis of the yellow field which is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madfox
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - print all fields except for last field

How do I print all the fields of a record except for the $(NF) field? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK print number of records, divide this number

I would like to print the number of records of 2 files, and divide the two numbers awk '{print NR}' file1 > output1 awk '{print NR}' file2 > output2 paste output1 output2 > output awl '{print $1/$2}' output > output_2 is there a faster way? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: programmerc
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print first field in awk

Hi, I have below text file 01.02.2014,asdas,arse,aere,4tfsd 12.03.2014,sdte,45gf,8iuj,qw343w 01.02.0214,aetre,sdfgter,asfrwe I have writen below code to print only first field that is only date field from text file #!/bin/ksh echo "enter week" read week while read -r... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print first field using awk

I want to print line by line only the first field from txt file input file etr,t7tu,e45xdt,e45exgt,cdgfe aqw34aw,45edgf,45estd,sert34 a232e,4etedf,w345er,qw345rw, qw354,q34asf,tw45f,q3drsf required o/p file etr aqw34aw a232e qw354 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stew
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to find number in a field then print the line and the number

Hi I want to use awk to match where field 3 contains a number within string - then print the line and just the number as a new field. The source file is pipe delimited and looks something like 1|net|ABC Letr1|1530||| 1|net|EXP_1040 ABC|1121||| 1|net|EXP_TG1224|1122||| 1|net|R_North|1123|||... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mudshark
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sum of all columns needs to print exact amount

Hi I have attached txt file as input, and i'm able to calculate sum of columns at the end but the format of sum is not coming up right. awk -F"," '{for (i=4;i<=NF;i++) sum+=$i}{print}; END { sum="Total:"; for (i=1;i<=NF;i++) {printf sum ","} print "\n"}' input.txt check the o/p file, at... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
6 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)