Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Moving Files from one directory to another directory Post 302379147 by erice on Wednesday 9th of December 2009 04:13:25 PM
Old 12-09-2009
mv is destructive, it will delete the original copy after the move, are you sure you don't want to cp first? then rm after you verify the integrity of the file?

Code:
#!/bin/ksh

for file in `ls storage_directory`
do
     mv storage_directory/$file temp_directory/$file
     echo "$file has been moved to temp_directory" >> somelogfile.txt
done

Last edited by pludi; 12-09-2009 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

moving files from a unix directory to a windows directory

Any body any ideas i'm failry new to this so any help would be appreciated. Cheers Steve (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gleads
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files not directory.

Hi, I want to move only files not subdirectories. I issued the below command, but subdirectories are also gets moved. mv /ucrrpd/input/upload/ /ucsspd/common/history/ In the above case, all subdirectories in /ucrrpd/input/upload/ also gets moved to /ucsspd/common/history/ I want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senthil_is
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating date directory and moving files into that directory

I have list of files named file_username_051208_025233.log. Here 051208 is the date and 025233 is the time.I have to run thousands of files daily.I want to put all the files depending on the date of running into a date directory.Suppose if we run files today they should put into 05:Dec:08... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi030
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files to specified directory.

Hi I have made a shell script which moves files from a trash bin back to the original directory and also has the option to restoring the file to a directory that is specified by the user. The restoring it to the original directory is working fine, the restoring it to a specified directory is now.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jodi
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving all files from 1 directory to another

For example i have a directory called name and another called school how to remove first 5 files from name into school? thanks for helping (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cryogen
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file names, comparing them to a directory of files, and moving them into a new directory

got it figured out :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sHockz
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving all files in a directory to another directory and archiving them

Hi All, i need to move all files in a directory to some other directory and need to archive them,,, Ex.. Source_Path/my_directory/ files in it are... acw.csv 123.txt bge.dat etc ..and we dont know how many files does my_directory contains and all are with different extensions ..so i need... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dssyadav
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with moving files from one directory to another directory.

Hi all, Please help me creating a job that runs on every monday. And the job must have a script to move the files from directory1 to directory2 based on date. eg: directory1 = usr/appl/src/archive; directory2 = usr/appl/failed filename : PHDG_90021.txt when the job runs,it must move... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vasanth_bala1
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving Files one directory to another directory shell script

Hi, Could you please assist how to move the gz files which are older than the 90 days from one folder to another folder ,before that it need to check the file system named "nfs" if size is less than 90 or not. If size is above 90 then it shouldn't perform file move and exit the script throwing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat918
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files to a directory with a variable name

I have this shell script which i am going to package into an application: cd /Users/william/Desktop Cleaning; mkdir "date"; cp ~/Desktop/* ~/"date"; how would i point to the directory with the name unknown to cp? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ws1
2 Replies
mv(1)							      General Commands Manual							     mv(1)

Name
       mv - move or rename files

Syntax
       mv [-i] [-f] [-] file1 file2

mv [-i] [-f] [-] file... directory

Description
       The command moves (changes the name of) file1 to file2.

If  file2  already  exists,  it is removed before file1 is moved.  If file2 has a mode which forbids writing, prints the mode and reads the
       standard input to obtain a line.  If the line begins with y, the move takes place.  If it does not, exits.  For further information, see

In the second form, one or more files (plain files or directories) are moved to the directory with their original file-names.

The command refuses to move a file onto itself.

Options
       -		   Interprets all following arguments as file names to allow file names starting with a minus.

-f		   Force. This option overrides any mode restrictions or the -i switch.

-i		   Interactive mode.  If a move is to supersede an existing file, the system prompts youw with the name of the	file  fol-
			   lowed  by  a question mark.	If you type a string that begins with y, the move occurs.  If you type any other response,
			   the move does not occur.

Restrictions
       If file1 and file2 lie on different file systems, must copy the file and delete the original.  In this case the owner name becomes that	of
       the copying process and any linking relationship with other files is lost.

See Also
       cp(1), ln(1)

mv(1)