Sponsored Content
Special Forums News, Links, Events and Announcements UNIX and Linux RSS News Monty Program AB's Suggestion to EU Commission to Get Rid of the GPL on MySQL Post 302378718 by Linux Bot on Tuesday 8th of December 2009 03:00:02 PM
Old 12-08-2009
Monty Program AB's Suggestion to EU Commission to Get Rid of the GPL on MySQL

I will now share with you a small section of the Monty Program AB's submission to the EU Commission, including its suggestion to replace the GPL with a more proprietary-friendly license, specifically the Apache license.
I mentioned it in my first article on the Oracle/Sun deal, telling you that the submission [PDF] they made public wasn't the only one:
But that isn't the only submission they have made. They suggested to the EU Commission in a questionnaire submitted by an August 13th deadline that the license on MySQL be changed to the Apache License. It was sent to me, along with others in the press, to educate us on the issues.
It seems some in the media contacted Florian Mueller, and he apparently denied the accuracy of what I wrote. So let me show you just this one piece of the document I was describing, and I'll let you decide for yourself, from page 19:
We would like to draw attention to the fact that some major concerns about the effects of the proposed transaction could be somewhat alleviated by requiring that all versions of MySQL source code previously released under the GPLv2 license ...must be released under a more liberal open source license that is usable also by the OEM users and would also create an opportunity for other service vendors to compete with offerings comparable to MySQL Enterprise. A good candidate is the Apache Software License.
So. Did I tell you the truth or not?

More...

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Appeal from Monty Widenius (MySQL)

Oracle is trying to acquire Sun, which means they will own MySQL. Michael "Monty" Widenius, the creator of MySQL, is asking us urgently to help save MySQL from Oracle's clutches. By writing to the European Commission (EC) you can support this cause and help secure the future development of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
0 Replies
Session::Lock::MySQL(3) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   Session::Lock::MySQL(3)

NAME
Apache::Session::Lock::MySQL - Provides mutual exclusion using MySQL SYNOPSIS
use Apache::Session::Lock::MySQL; my $locker = Apache::Session::Lock::MySQL->new(); $locker->acquire_read_lock($ref); $locker->acquire_write_lock($ref); $locker->release_read_lock($ref); $locker->release_write_lock($ref); $locker->release_all_locks($ref); DESCRIPTION
Apache::Session::Lock::MySQL fulfills the locking interface of Apache::Session. Mutual exclusion is achieved through the use of MySQL's GET_LOCK and RELEASE_LOCK functions. MySQL does not support the notion of read and write locks, so this module only supports exclusive locks. When you request a shared read lock, it is instead promoted to an exclusive write lock. CONFIGURATION
The module must know how to connect to your MySQL database to acquire locks. You must provide a datasource name, a user name, and a password. These options are passed in the usual Apache::Session style, and are very similar to the options for Apache::Session::Store::MySQL. Example: tie %hash, 'Apache::Session::MySQL', $id, { LockDataSource => 'dbi:mysql:database', LockUserName => 'database_user', LockPassword => 'K00l' }; Instead, you may pass in an already opened DBI handle to your database. tie %hash, 'Apache::Session::MySQL', $id, { LockHandle => $dbh }; AUTHOR
This module was written by Jeffrey William Baker <jwbaker@acm.org>. SEE ALSO
Apache::Session perl v5.12.1 2008-01-08 Session::Lock::MySQL(3)