Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Substring using sed or awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Substring using sed or awk Post 302376585 by daptal on Tuesday 1st of December 2009 08:12:29 PM
Old 12-01-2009
Code:
cat abc.txt
REPLYFILE=myfile.txt
myfile.txt.gz.20091120.enc
REPLYFILE=myfile.txt.gz.20091120.enc

Code:
sed 's/.*=//g;s/\.gz.*//g' abc.txt

chk if this helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed, grep, awk, regex -- extracting a matched substring from a file/string

Ok, I'm stumped and can't seem to find relevant info. (I'm not even sure, I might have asked something similar before.): I'm trying to use shell scripting/UNIX commands to extract URLs from a fairly large web page, with a view to ultimately wrapping this in PHP with exec() and including the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed extract substring on (OS X)

On OS 10.4.11 I have filenames like: 670711 SA T2 v1-1_DS_EF.doc CT_670520 AM T1 v1-2_DS_EF.doc CT_670716 - 2 SA T4 v1-2_DS_EF.doc CT_670713 SA T3 v1-1_DS_EF.doc 670421 PA DYP1 v1-1_DS_EF.doc CT_670425 PA DYP2 v1-1_DS_EF.doc CT_670107 RA T3 v1-2_DS_EF.doc CT_670521 AM T2 v1-2_DS_EF.doc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlommel
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to get a substring

Hi, I have looked all over for this. I am attempting to get a the substring of a string using sed since it seemed the best solution for this. For example my string is: "zzz foo to you and bar123 or foo" I would like to extract the text between "and" and "or" (it could be anything, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CentaurAtlas
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed and SubString

Hi Folks, I am here with a simple doubt. I am having a flat file in which I want to replace the characters from say 5 to 15 as some text. Flat file contains a single line. For example 01MRRAJESH21000RAJESH INDUSTRIES In the above line pos 16-21 is Rajesh, I want to search for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinesh1985
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making substring with sed

Input: You can easily do this by highlighting your code. How can i get the substring from index 9 to 12 using sed? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substring using cut/awk/sed

Hi Gurus,I have a seemingly simple problem but struggling with it.It is as follows : I/p string - ABCDEFGHIJ20100909.txt desired o/p - AB,DEF,20100909,ABCDEFGHIJ20100909.txt How to achieve it ?Thanks in advance. Please use code tags, thank you (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumoka
20 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a substring using SED/AWK

Hi All, I have a log file in which name and version of applications are coming in the following format name It may look like following, based on the name of the application and version: XYZ OR xyz OR XyZ OR xyz I want to separate out the name and version and store them into variables.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to find a substring from a file

HI All, I have a file which looks like below ./Prod_id/rel/prod/lib.a ./Some_text/rel/fld/lib.a ./Some_text/deb/detail/lib.a ./Some_text/deb/err/lib.a ./Some_text/rel/prod/lib.a ./Some_text/rel/fld/lib.a ./Some_text/deb/detail/lib.a ./Some_text/deb/err/lib.a I want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed, awk or perl to remove substring of all lines except the first

Greetings All, I would like to find all occurences of a pattern and delete a substring from the all matching lines EXCEPT the first. For example: 1234::group:user1,user2,user3,blah1,blah2,blah3 2222::othergroup:user9,user8 4444::othergroup2:user3,blah,blah,user1 1234::group3:user5,user1 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacksolm
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substring Problem with sed . . .

Greetings. I'm looking to isolate the first occurrence of an arbitrary substring which may be present at any particular line in a given file. The enclosing end markers for the target in our thought problem are string" and ". The complete string and surrounding text could look something like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
3 Replies
PYP(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PYP(1)

NAME
pyp - The Pyed Piper: A Modern Python Alternative to awk, sed and Other Unix Text Manipulation Utilities SYNOPSIS
pyp [options] files ... DESCRIPTION
pyp, the Pyed Piper, is a command line tool for text manipulation. It is similar to awk and sed in functionality, but its subcommands are Python based, and thus more familiar to many programmers. It can operate both on a per-line base and on the complete input stream. Different features can be pipelined in a single command by using the pipe character familiar from shell commands. pyp backs up its input for reruns with modified commands, and can save commands as macros. On the downside, the rerun feature makes it unsuitable for continuous pipe operation. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, use --manual. -h, --help Show this help message and exit. -m, --manual Prints out extended help. -l, --macro_list Lists all available macros. -s MACRO_SAVE_NAME, --macro_save=MACRO_SAVE_NAME Saves current command as macro. use "#" for adding comments EXAMPLE: pyp -s "great_macro # prints first letter" "p[1]". -f MACRO_FIND_NAME, --macro_find=MACRO_FIND_NAME Searches for macros with keyword or user name. -d MACRO_DELETE_NAME, --macro_delete=MACRO_DELETE_NAME Deletes specified public macro. -g, --macro_group Specify group macros for save and delete; default is user. -t TEXT_FILE, --text_file=TEXT_FILE Specify text file to load. For advanced users, you should typically cat a file into pyp. -x, --execute Execute all commands. -c, --turn_off_color Prints raw, uncolored output. -u, --unmodified_config Prints out generic PypCustom.py config file. -b BLANK_INPUTS, --blank_inputs=BLANK_INPUTS Generate this number of blank input lines; useful for generating numbered lists with variable 'n'. -n, --no_input Use with command that generates output with no input; same as --dummy_input 1. -k, --keep_false Print blank lines for lines that test as False. default is to filter out False lines from the output. -r, --rerun Rerun based on automatically cached data from the last run. Use this after executing "pyp", pasting input into the shell, and hitting CTRL-D. SEE ALSO
awk(1), grep(1), sed(1). AUTHOR
pyp was written by Toby Rosen <tobyrosen@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Khalid El Fathi <khalid@elfathi.fr>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). March 19, 2012 PYP(1)