Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Configure EMC Powerpath?
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Configure EMC Powerpath? Post 302375862 by Scrutinizer on Monday 30th of November 2009 01:10:39 AM
Old 11-30-2009
There should be a /etc/modprobe.conf.pp and a reference to it in modprobe.conf. If they are there, perhaps your SAN drivers do not get loaded at boot time and the mkinitrd did not go right? What do the logs say?

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 11-30-2009 at 02:19 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Can Veritas DMP & EMC PowerPath coexist?

We currently have a Solaris box connected to a Clariion storage system that is utilising DMP for path failover. I would prefer to use EMC's Powerpath and was wondering if the two can coexist? Basically, I am struggling to find any documentation on the subject and was wonder if anyone can give me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaron2k
2 Replies

2. Solaris

change SP value in powerpath

How to change the following values in power path from SP B to SP A ? Owner: default=SP B, current=SP B this is excerpt from powermt display dev=all (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
3 Replies

3. AIX

Cannot uninstall powerpath - bosboot issues

Hi Guys, I have a problem while trying to upgrade to more current EMC powerpath software on AIX 5.3 - respectively uninstalling the existing one. I tried to deinstall the powerpath software with removed disks - was working perfectly fine on 12 servers - but number 13 is failing with errors: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zxmaus
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 10 with Veritas and PowerPath

Hello, I have an issue with veritas volume manager version 5.0 in combination with EMC powerpath version 5.2.0 running on Solaris10(Sparc). This server is fiber connected to a EMC Clariion CX3-40 SAN. This is the situation : Server is a SUN Enterprise M5000 OS = Solaris10 Sparc Veritas... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chipke2005
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Migrate from MPXIO to Powerpath

Here is the issue: I am building a database server using Solaris 10x86 U8. The system is jumpstarted with mpxio enabled and booting from the san. We need to have powerpath 5.3 installed and would like to have powerpath take control of the the boot san as well or have mpxio control the san... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nabru72
2 Replies

6. AIX

Migrating hdisks from vscsi to NPIV with powerpath

Hi All, I'm preparing to migrate some servers from vscsi to pass-thru NPIV. I am planning to have the SAN team move the exact LUNs from vio1/vio2 to those two VWWN through NPIV. My question is on the partition itself.. right now, let's say I have hdisk0/1/2/3/4 that are part of datavg. They... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lapfrank
2 Replies

7. Linux

EMC, PowerPath and issue on using LUN

Hello guys, I'm going crazy over here with a problem with a LUN created on a EMC CX3. I did sucessfully managed to create the LUN on the Storage (the LUN is named DBLNX25EC_TST), after doing the following process: echo "1" > /sys/class/fc_host/host<n>/issue_lip and echo "- - -" >... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zarnick
10 Replies

8. Solaris

Powerpath upgrade with SVM disksets

Hi all I am running the following hardware: 2 SUN Solaris 10 machines They are connected to EMC clarion LUNs We are running a Sun Cluster 3.2 managing both nodes We are using Solaris Volume Manager to handle the shared storage for the cluster. It is using a number of named disk sets that is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: abohmeed
0 Replies

9. Solaris

One emc powerpath failed

It seems like I lost one path on my Solaris-11 box. But I want to make sure before going to Storage team, if issue is from OS side or Storage side. Storage team is able to see that only one wwwn is looged in their switch. I am not at server's physical location. What does below output says ? I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Emc powerpath device & zfs query

Hi, We're trying out a SAN migration from HP EVA to EMC VMAX, and run into a bit of an issue with powerpath and zfs. The method we're currently using to migrate is to export the HP EVA luns from our sun server, replicate using SAN based method, and then present the new luns to our Sun server... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: badoshi
7 Replies
MODPROBE.D(5)                                                       modprobe.d                                                       MODPROBE.D(5)

NAME
modprobe.d - Configuration directory for modprobe SYNOPSIS
/lib/modprobe.d/*.conf /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf /run/modprobe.d/*.conf DESCRIPTION
Because the modprobe command can add or remove more than one module, due to modules having dependencies, we need a method of specifying what options are to be used with those modules. All files underneath the /etc/modprobe.d directory which end with the .conf extension specify those options as required. They can also be used to create convenient aliases: alternate names for a module, or they can override the normal modprobe behavior altogether for those with special requirements (such as inserting more than one module). Note that module and alias names (like other module names) can have - or _ in them: both are interchangeable throughout all the module commands as underscore conversion happens automatically. The format of and files under modprobe.d is simple: one command per line, with blank lines and lines starting with '#' ignored (useful for adding comments). A '' at the end of a line causes it to continue on the next line, which makes the file a bit neater. COMMANDS
alias wildcard modulename This allows you to give alternate names for a module. For example: "alias my-mod really_long_modulename" means you can use "modprobe my-mod" instead of "modprobe really_long_modulename". You can also use shell-style wildcards, so "alias my-mod* really_long_modulename" means that "modprobe my-mod-something" has the same effect. You can't have aliases to other aliases (that way lies madness), but aliases can have options, which will be added to any other options. Note that modules can also contain their own aliases, which you can see using modinfo. These aliases are used as a last resort (ie. if there is no real module, install, remove, or alias command in the configuration). blacklist modulename Modules can contain their own aliases: usually these are aliases describing the devices they support, such as "pci:123...". These "internal" aliases can be overridden by normal "alias" keywords, but there are cases where two or more modules both support the same devices, or a module invalidly claims to support a device that it does not: the blacklist keyword indicates that all of that particular module's internal aliases are to be ignored. install modulename command... This command instructs modprobe to run your command instead of inserting the module in the kernel as normal. The command can be any shell command: this allows you to do any kind of complex processing you might wish. For example, if the module "fred" works better with the module "barney" already installed (but it doesn't depend on it, so modprobe won't automatically load it), you could say "install fred /sbin/modprobe barney; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install fred", which would do what you wanted. Note the --ignore-install, which stops the second modprobe from running the same install command again. See also remove below. The long term future of this command as a solution to the problem of providing additional module dependencies is not assured and it is intended to replace this command with a warning about its eventual removal or deprecation at some point in a future release. Its use complicates the automated determination of module dependencies by distribution utilities, such as mkinitrd (because these now need to somehow interpret what the install commands might be doing. In a perfect world, modules would provide all dependency information without the use of this command and work is underway to implement soft dependency support within the Linux kernel. If you use the string "$CMDLINE_OPTS" in the command, it will be replaced by any options specified on the modprobe command line. This can be useful because users expect "modprobe fred opt=1" to pass the "opt=1" arg to the module, even if there's an install command in the configuration file. So our above example becomes "install fred /sbin/modprobe barney; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install fred $CMDLINE_OPTS" options modulename option... This command allows you to add options to the module modulename (which might be an alias) every time it is inserted into the kernel: whether directly (using modprobe modulename) or because the module being inserted depends on this module. All options are added together: they can come from an option for the module itself, for an alias, and on the command line. remove modulename command... This is similar to the install command above, except it is invoked when "modprobe -r" is run. softdep modulename pre: modules... post: modules... The softdep command allows you to specify soft, or optional, module dependencies. modulename can be used without these optional modules installed, but usually with some features missing. For example, a driver for a storage HBA might require another module be loaded in order to use management features. pre-deps and post-deps modules are lists of names and/or aliases of other modules that modprobe will attempt to install (or remove) in order before and after the main module given in the modulename argument. Example: Assume "softdep c pre: a b post: d e" is provided in the configuration. Running "modprobe c" is now equivalent to "modprobe a b c d e" without the softdep. Flags such as --use-blacklist are applied to all the specified modules, while module parameters only apply to module c. Note: if there are install or remove commands with the same modulename argument, softdep takes precedence. COMPATIBILITY
A future version of kmod will come with a strong warning to avoid use of the install as explained above. This will happen once support for soft dependencies in the kernel is complete. That support will complement the existing softdep support within this utility by providing such dependencies directly within the modules. COPYRIGHT
This manual page originally Copyright 2004, Rusty Russell, IBM Corporation. Maintained by Jon Masters and others. SEE ALSO
modprobe(8), modules.dep(5) AUTHORS
Jon Masters <jcm@jonmasters.org> Developer Robby Workman <rworkman@slackware.com> Developer Lucas De Marchi <lucas.de.marchi@gmail.com> Developer kmod 01/28/2018 MODPROBE.D(5)