Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Corrupted Hard Drive
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Corrupted Hard Drive Post 302375689 by 2buck56 on Saturday 28th of November 2009 08:23:47 PM
Old 11-28-2009
Corona688, thanks for the prompt reply. Here is result of fdisk:
root@Knoppix:~# fdisk -l /dev/sda
Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80032038912 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9730 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 14 9730 78051802+ 8e Linux LVM
root@Knoppix:~#

Also, this is the message I see when trying to boot FC-7:
Uncompressing Linux... OK, booting the kernel
Red Hat nash version 6.0.9 starting
Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while
Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2
2 logical volume(s) in volume group "VolGroup00" now active
VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev dm-0
mount: error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as ext3: Invalid argument
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

And then the system hangs.

If I interrupt the bootup sequeuence I am able to get to a command
line grub prompt by seleting "e" "a" or "o".

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Partition Hard drive

Hello everyone. I am new to Linux so hope some one could help me here. I have a 30 Gb HD and windows Xp is my O/S, HD is not partitioned,but I want to Partitioned it, so I could Install Knoppix(Linux)on one of the partitioned one, how could I do this? OR should I erase every thing and then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amir
1 Replies

2. SCO

Processor and Hard Drive

I trying to learn Unix and I am using SCO Unixware 7.1. Below are three question that I have: 1) Can someone tell me what command I can use to find out the system processor speed. 2) Can someone tell me what command I can use to find out what's the hard drive size of my unix box. 3) Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etaup02
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing hard drive

Hi, Can someone answer to my question.I' totally new to Unix. What is the command for removing the hard drive from the system? Thanks a lot, Puja (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pujathakral
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to copy old hard drive to new hard drive.

:confused: ........I have a new hard drive and I need to copy ALL info from the old to the new. I would like to use the dd command. I know the command is as follows...... dd if=/dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0 of=/dev/rdsk/???????? Where I have the question marks is the problem. How do I find out what the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
4 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

The best partitioning schem for a 250GB Sata hard drive & a 75GB SCSI hard drive

Hi I have 2 75GB SCSI hard drives and 2 250GB SATA hard drives which are using RAID Level 1 respectively. I wana have both FTP and Apache installed on them as services. I'm wondering what's the best partitioning schem? I wana use FC3 as my OS, so, I thought I can use the 75GB hard drive as the /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbijan
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Using the rest of my hard drive

Hi When I installed opensolaris, I installed it on a 20GB partition. How do I make use of the other 300GB I have spare? format shows:- -bash-3.2# format Searching for disks...done AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c3d0 <DEFAULT cyl 2607 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63> ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellotommy
12 Replies

7. SCO

I need a help with accessing the hard drive

Hello guys, I have got from a friend a hard disk which was used in the SCO OpenServer. He needs some data from it. I have no clue how to copy its content with Linux or Windows-I have tried few Linux distros but the result is always the same-the file system is not recognized so can't be mounted.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kataro
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Hard drive formating

Im trying to install a fresh version of Fedora 17. I keep getting formating errors when trying to reformat the hard drive. I recieve errors as well I I try to use the entire disk for the install instead of creat new partitions from scratch. I even tried fromatting the disk using PartedMagic and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fingerz
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

External hard drive

I have connected an external hard drive. I can't find it. Both ls /media, fdisk -l and ls /dev show nothing. TIA (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meow613
3 Replies
PVCK(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   PVCK(8)

NAME
pvck - check physical volume metadata SYNOPSIS
pvck [-d|--debug] [-h|--help] [-v|--verbose] [--labelsector] PhysicalVolume [PhysicalVolume...] DESCRIPTION
pvck checks physical volume LVM metadata for consistency. OPTIONS
See lvm for common options. --labelsector sector By default, 4 sectors of PhysicalVolume are scanned for an LVM label, starting at sector 0. This parameter allows you to specify a different starting sector for the scan and is useful for recovery situations. For example, suppose the partition table is corrupted or lost on /dev/sda, but you suspect there was an LVM partition at approximately 100 MB. This area of the disk may be scanned by using the --labelsector parameter with a value of 204800 (100 * 1024 * 1024 / 512 = 204800): pvck --labelsector 204800 /dev/sda Note that a script can be used with --labelsector to automate the process of finding LVM labels. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), pvcreate(8), pvscan(8) vgck(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) PVCK(8)