Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Corrupted Hard Drive
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Corrupted Hard Drive Post 302375678 by 2buck56 on Saturday 28th of November 2009 06:50:30 PM
Old 11-28-2009
Corrupted Hard Drive

I am running FC-7 which I realize is an older distro. But my question would apply to any distro.

I ran fsck on my mounted file system (I know, I shouldn't have). Now it won't boot. I get a kernel panic message.

I booted to a Knoppix Live Cd.

The desktop icon shows /dev/sda2 mounted at /media/sda2. When I perform ls -l on /media/sda2 it shows total 0.

When I perform dumpe2fs /dev/sda2 I get this message:
dumpe2fs 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
dumpe2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda2
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

Is there any chance of recovering data from the drive or am I out of luck?

fdisk -l yields these results:
root@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# fdisk -l /dev/sda1

Disk /dev/sda1: 106 MB, 106896384 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 12 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Disk /dev/sda1 doesn't contain a valid partition table
root@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# fdisk -l /dev/sda2

Disk /dev/sda2: 79.9 GB, 79925045760 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9717 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Disk /dev/sda2 doesn't contain a valid partition table

pvdisplay, vgadisplay, and lvdisplay yields these results:

root@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# pvdisplay
--- Physical volume ---
PV Name /dev/sda2
VG Name VolGroup00
PV Size 74.41 GB / not usable 0
Allocatable yes
PE Size (KByte) 32768
Total PE 2381
Free PE 1
Allocated PE 2380
PV UUID 34v31h-rQS5-Lzjd-WuQC-F1EA-DnE2-Sj1ugr

root@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# vgdisplay
--- Volume group ---
VG Name VolGroup00
System ID
Format lvm2
Metadata Areas 1
Metadata Sequence No 3
VG Access read/write
VG Status resizable
MAX LV 0
Cur LV 2
Open LV 0
Max PV 0
Cur PV 1
Act PV 1
VG Size 74.41 GB
PE Size 32.00 MB
Total PE 2381
Alloc PE / Size 2380 / 74.38 GB
Free PE / Size 1 / 32.00 MB
VG UUID dhzswy-nDmJ-l32M-bTwJ-5tue-Qn1k-Ie9aad

root@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# lvdisplay
--- Logical volume ---
LV Name /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
VG Name VolGroup00
LV UUID fhLm4I-YxGM-uPrp-p54E-L0BZ-6RB1-4p9njg
LV Write Access read/write
LV Status NOT available
LV Size 72.44 GB
Current LE 2318
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors 0

--- Logical volume ---
LV Name /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
VG Name VolGroup00
LV UUID eFHGdu-0lUm-x2qa-vlJD-hayB-20ZT-wbJfYl
LV Write Access read/write
LV Status NOT available
LV Size 1.94 GB
Current LE 62
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors 0

Any suggestion or help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Partition Hard drive

Hello everyone. I am new to Linux so hope some one could help me here. I have a 30 Gb HD and windows Xp is my O/S, HD is not partitioned,but I want to Partitioned it, so I could Install Knoppix(Linux)on one of the partitioned one, how could I do this? OR should I erase every thing and then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amir
1 Replies

2. SCO

Processor and Hard Drive

I trying to learn Unix and I am using SCO Unixware 7.1. Below are three question that I have: 1) Can someone tell me what command I can use to find out the system processor speed. 2) Can someone tell me what command I can use to find out what's the hard drive size of my unix box. 3) Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etaup02
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing hard drive

Hi, Can someone answer to my question.I' totally new to Unix. What is the command for removing the hard drive from the system? Thanks a lot, Puja (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pujathakral
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to copy old hard drive to new hard drive.

:confused: ........I have a new hard drive and I need to copy ALL info from the old to the new. I would like to use the dd command. I know the command is as follows...... dd if=/dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0 of=/dev/rdsk/???????? Where I have the question marks is the problem. How do I find out what the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
4 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

The best partitioning schem for a 250GB Sata hard drive & a 75GB SCSI hard drive

Hi I have 2 75GB SCSI hard drives and 2 250GB SATA hard drives which are using RAID Level 1 respectively. I wana have both FTP and Apache installed on them as services. I'm wondering what's the best partitioning schem? I wana use FC3 as my OS, so, I thought I can use the 75GB hard drive as the /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbijan
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Using the rest of my hard drive

Hi When I installed opensolaris, I installed it on a 20GB partition. How do I make use of the other 300GB I have spare? format shows:- -bash-3.2# format Searching for disks...done AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c3d0 <DEFAULT cyl 2607 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63> ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellotommy
12 Replies

7. SCO

I need a help with accessing the hard drive

Hello guys, I have got from a friend a hard disk which was used in the SCO OpenServer. He needs some data from it. I have no clue how to copy its content with Linux or Windows-I have tried few Linux distros but the result is always the same-the file system is not recognized so can't be mounted.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kataro
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Hard drive formating

Im trying to install a fresh version of Fedora 17. I keep getting formating errors when trying to reformat the hard drive. I recieve errors as well I I try to use the entire disk for the install instead of creat new partitions from scratch. I even tried fromatting the disk using PartedMagic and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fingerz
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

External hard drive

I have connected an external hard drive. I can't find it. Both ls /media, fdisk -l and ls /dev show nothing. TIA (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meow613
3 Replies
KNIFE-BOOTSTRAP(1)						    Chef Manual 						KNIFE-BOOTSTRAP(1)

NAME
knife-bootstrap - Install Chef Client on a remote host SYNOPSIS
knife bootstrap (options) -i, --identity-file IDENTITY_FILE The SSH identity file used for authentication -N, --node-name NAME The Chef node name for your new node -P, --ssh-password PASSWORD The ssh password -x, --ssh-user USERNAME The ssh username -p, --ssh-port PORT The ssh port --bootstrap-version VERSION The version of Chef to install --bootstrap-proxy PROXY_URL The proxy server for the node being bootstrapped --prerelease Install pre-release Chef gems -r, --run-list RUN_LIST Comma separated list of roles/recipes to apply --template-file TEMPLATE Full path to location of template to use --sudo Execute the bootstrap via sudo -d, --distro DISTRO Bootstrap a distro using a template --[no-]host-key-verify Enable host key verification, which is the default behavior. DESCRIPTION
Performs a Chef Bootstrap on the target node. The goal of the bootstrap is to get Chef installed on the target system so it can run Chef Client with a Chef Server. The main assumption is a baseline OS installation exists. This sub-command is used internally by some cloud com- puting plugins. The bootstrap sub-command supports supplying a template to perform the bootstrap steps. If the distro is not specified (via -d or --distro option), an Ubuntu 10.04 host bootstrapped with RubyGems is assumed. The DISTRO value corresponds to the base filename of the template, in other words DISTRO.erb. A template file can be specified with the --template-file option in which case the DISTRO is not used. The sub-com- mand looks in the following locations for the template to use: o bootstrap directory in the installed Chef Knife library. o bootstrap directory in the $PWD/.chef. o bootstrap directory in the users $HOME/.chef. The default bootstrap templates are scripts that get copied to the target node (FQDN). The following distros are supported: o centos5-gems o fedora13-gems o ubuntu10.04-gems o ubuntu10.04-apt The gems installations will use RubyGems 1.3.6 and Chef installed as a gem. The apt installation will use the Opscode APT repository. In addition to handling the software installation, these bootstrap templates do the following: o Write the validation.pem per the local knife configuration. o Write a default config file for Chef (/etc/chef/client.rb) using values from the knife.rb. o Create a JSON attributes file containing the specified run list and run Chef. In the case of the RubyGems, the client.rb will be written from scratch with a minimal set of values; see EXAMPLES. In the case of APT Package installation, client.rb will have the validation_client_name appended if it is not set to chef-validator (default config value), and the node_name will be added if chef_node_name option is specified. When this is complete, the bootstrapped node will have: o Latest Chef version installed from RubyGems or APT Packages from Opscode. This may be a later version than the local system. o Be validated with the configured Chef Server. o Have run Chef with its default run list if one is specfied. Additional custom bootstrap templates can be created and stored in .chef/bootstrap/DISTRO.erb, replacing DISTRO with the value passed with the -d or --distro option. See EXAMPLES for more information. EXAMPLES
Setting up a custom bootstrap is fairly straightforward. Create a .chef/bootstrap directory in your Chef Repository or in $HOME/.chef/boot- strap. Then create the ERB template file. mkdir ~/.chef/bootstrap vi ~/.chef/bootstrap/debian5.0-apt.erb For example, to create a new bootstrap template that should be used when setting up a new Debian node. Edit the template to run the com- mands, set up the validation certificate and the client configuration file, and finally to run chef-client on completion. The bootstrap template can be called with: knife bootstrap mynode.example.com --template-file ~/.chef/bootstrap/debian5.0-apt.erb Or, knife bootstrap mynode.example.com --distro debian5.0-apt The --distro parameter will automatically look in the ~/.chef/bootstrap directory for a file named debian5.0-apt.erb. Templates provided by the Chef installation are located in BASEDIR/lib/chef/knife/bootstrap/*.erb, where BASEDIR is the location where the package or Gem installed the Chef client libraries. BUGS
knife bootstrap is not capable of bootstrapping multiple hosts in parallel. The bootstrap script is passed as an argument to sh(1) on the remote system, so sensitive information contained in the script will be visi- ble to other users via the process list using tools such as ps(1). SEE ALSO
knife-ssh(1) AUTHOR
Chef was written by Adam Jacob adam@opscode.com with many contributions from the community. DOCUMENTATION
This manual page was written by Joshua Timberman joshua@opscode.com. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and / or modify this docu- ment under the terms of the Apache 2.0 License. CHEF
Knife is distributed with Chef. http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Home Chef 10.12.0 June 2012 KNIFE-BOOTSTRAP(1)