Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Corrupted Hard Drive
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Corrupted Hard Drive Post 302375678 by 2buck56 on Saturday 28th of November 2009 06:50:30 PM
Old 11-28-2009
Corrupted Hard Drive

I am running FC-7 which I realize is an older distro. But my question would apply to any distro.

I ran fsck on my mounted file system (I know, I shouldn't have). Now it won't boot. I get a kernel panic message.

I booted to a Knoppix Live Cd.

The desktop icon shows /dev/sda2 mounted at /media/sda2. When I perform ls -l on /media/sda2 it shows total 0.

When I perform dumpe2fs /dev/sda2 I get this message:
dumpe2fs 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
dumpe2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda2
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

Is there any chance of recovering data from the drive or am I out of luck?

fdisk -l yields these results:
root@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# fdisk -l /dev/sda1

Disk /dev/sda1: 106 MB, 106896384 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 12 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Disk /dev/sda1 doesn't contain a valid partition table
root@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# fdisk -l /dev/sda2

Disk /dev/sda2: 79.9 GB, 79925045760 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9717 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Disk /dev/sda2 doesn't contain a valid partition table

pvdisplay, vgadisplay, and lvdisplay yields these results:

root@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# pvdisplay
--- Physical volume ---
PV Name /dev/sda2
VG Name VolGroup00
PV Size 74.41 GB / not usable 0
Allocatable yes
PE Size (KByte) 32768
Total PE 2381
Free PE 1
Allocated PE 2380
PV UUID 34v31h-rQS5-Lzjd-WuQC-F1EA-DnE2-Sj1ugr

root@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# vgdisplay
--- Volume group ---
VG Name VolGroup00
System ID
Format lvm2
Metadata Areas 1
Metadata Sequence No 3
VG Access read/write
VG Status resizable
MAX LV 0
Cur LV 2
Open LV 0
Max PV 0
Cur PV 1
Act PV 1
VG Size 74.41 GB
PE Size 32.00 MB
Total PE 2381
Alloc PE / Size 2380 / 74.38 GB
Free PE / Size 1 / 32.00 MB
VG UUID dhzswy-nDmJ-l32M-bTwJ-5tue-Qn1k-Ie9aad

root@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# lvdisplay
--- Logical volume ---
LV Name /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
VG Name VolGroup00
LV UUID fhLm4I-YxGM-uPrp-p54E-L0BZ-6RB1-4p9njg
LV Write Access read/write
LV Status NOT available
LV Size 72.44 GB
Current LE 2318
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors 0

--- Logical volume ---
LV Name /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
VG Name VolGroup00
LV UUID eFHGdu-0lUm-x2qa-vlJD-hayB-20ZT-wbJfYl
LV Write Access read/write
LV Status NOT available
LV Size 1.94 GB
Current LE 62
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors 0

Any suggestion or help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Partition Hard drive

Hello everyone. I am new to Linux so hope some one could help me here. I have a 30 Gb HD and windows Xp is my O/S, HD is not partitioned,but I want to Partitioned it, so I could Install Knoppix(Linux)on one of the partitioned one, how could I do this? OR should I erase every thing and then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amir
1 Replies

2. SCO

Processor and Hard Drive

I trying to learn Unix and I am using SCO Unixware 7.1. Below are three question that I have: 1) Can someone tell me what command I can use to find out the system processor speed. 2) Can someone tell me what command I can use to find out what's the hard drive size of my unix box. 3) Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etaup02
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing hard drive

Hi, Can someone answer to my question.I' totally new to Unix. What is the command for removing the hard drive from the system? Thanks a lot, Puja (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pujathakral
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to copy old hard drive to new hard drive.

:confused: ........I have a new hard drive and I need to copy ALL info from the old to the new. I would like to use the dd command. I know the command is as follows...... dd if=/dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0 of=/dev/rdsk/???????? Where I have the question marks is the problem. How do I find out what the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
4 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

The best partitioning schem for a 250GB Sata hard drive & a 75GB SCSI hard drive

Hi I have 2 75GB SCSI hard drives and 2 250GB SATA hard drives which are using RAID Level 1 respectively. I wana have both FTP and Apache installed on them as services. I'm wondering what's the best partitioning schem? I wana use FC3 as my OS, so, I thought I can use the 75GB hard drive as the /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbijan
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Using the rest of my hard drive

Hi When I installed opensolaris, I installed it on a 20GB partition. How do I make use of the other 300GB I have spare? format shows:- -bash-3.2# format Searching for disks...done AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c3d0 <DEFAULT cyl 2607 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63> ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellotommy
12 Replies

7. SCO

I need a help with accessing the hard drive

Hello guys, I have got from a friend a hard disk which was used in the SCO OpenServer. He needs some data from it. I have no clue how to copy its content with Linux or Windows-I have tried few Linux distros but the result is always the same-the file system is not recognized so can't be mounted.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kataro
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Hard drive formating

Im trying to install a fresh version of Fedora 17. I keep getting formating errors when trying to reformat the hard drive. I recieve errors as well I I try to use the entire disk for the install instead of creat new partitions from scratch. I even tried fromatting the disk using PartedMagic and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fingerz
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

External hard drive

I have connected an external hard drive. I can't find it. Both ls /media, fdisk -l and ls /dev show nothing. TIA (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meow613
3 Replies
RDEV(8)                                                      Linux Programmer's Manual                                                     RDEV(8)

NAME
rdev - query/set image root device, RAM disk size, or video mode SYNOPSIS
rdev [-Rrvh] [-o offset] [image [value [offset]]] rdev [-o offset] [image [root_device [offset]]] ramsize [-o offset] [image [size [offset]]] vidmode [-o offset] [image [mode [offset]]] rootflags [-o offset] [image [flags [offset]]] DESCRIPTION
With no arguments, rdev outputs an /etc/mtab line for the current root file system. With no arguments, ramsize, vidmode, and rootflags print usage information. In a bootable image for the Linux kernel on i386, there are several pairs of bytes which specify the root device, the video mode, and the size of the RAM disk. These pairs of bytes, by default, begin at offset 504 (decimal) in the kernel image: 498 Root flags (500 and 502 Reserved) 504 RAM Disk Size 506 VGA Mode 508 Root Device (510 Boot Signature) rdev will change these values. Typical values for the image parameter, which is a bootable Linux kernel image, might be: /vmlinux /vmunix /boot/bzImage-2.4.0 /dev/fd0 /dev/fd1 When using the rdev command, the root_device parameter might be something like: /dev/hda1 /dev/hdf13 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdc4 /dev/ida/c0d0p1 One may also specify the device by a comma-separated pair of decimal integers major,minor. For the ramsize command, the size parameter specifies the size of the RAM disk in kilobytes. 2.0.x kernels and newer dynamically allocate the ramdisk and do not need this setting. For the rootflags command, the flags parameter contains extra information used when mounting root. Currently the only effect of these flags is to force the kernel to mount the root filesystem in readonly mode if flags is non-zero. For the vidmode command, the mode parameter specifies the video mode: -3 = Prompt -2 = Extended VGA -1 = Normal VGA 0 = as if "0" was pressed at the prompt 1 = as if "1" was pressed at the prompt 2 = as if "2" was pressed at the prompt n = as if "n" was pressed at the prompt If the value is not specified, the image will be examined to determine the current settings. OPTIONS
-r Causes rdev to act like ramsize (Not relevant for 2.0.x and newer kernels). -R Causes rdev to act like rootflags. -v Causes rdev to act like vidmode. -h Provides help. BUGS
The rdev utility, when used other than to find a name for the current root device, is an ancient hack that works by patching a kernel image at a magic offset with magic numbers. It does not work on architectures other than i386. Its use is strongly discouraged. Use a boot loader like SysLinux or LILO instead. HISTORY
At offset 502 there used to be the device number of the swap device (in Linux 0.12), and "rdev -s" or "swapdev" would set this. However, since Linux 0.95 this constant is not used any longer, and the swap device is specified using the swapon(2) system call. At offset 504 there used to be the size of the ramdisk in kilobytes. One would specify a size, and this much was grabbed off the top of memory. In Linux 1.1.39 it became also possible to set this value on the kernel command line. In Linux 1.3.48 the ramdisk setup was changed. Ramdisk memory is now taken from the buffer cache, so that the ramdisk can grow dynamically. The interpretation of the ramdisk word was changed to a word of which the high order bit is a prompt flag (1: prompt for ramdisk: "VFS: Insert ramdisk floppy and press ENTER" - this is needed with a two-floppy boot), the next bit a load flag (1: load ramdisk), and the low order 11 bits give the starting block number of the root filesystem image (so that one can have a single floppy boot). See also linux/Documentation/ramdisk.txt. AUTHORS
Originally by Werner Almesberger (almesber@nessie.cs.id.ethz.ch) Modified by Peter MacDonald (pmacdona@sanjuan.UVic.CA) rootflags support added by Stephen Tweedie (sct@dcs.ed.ac.uk) AVAILABILITY
The rdev command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. Linux 0.99 20 November 1993 RDEV(8)