Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Which Linux distribution has a GUI like MS Windows ? Post 302375400 by Corona688 on Friday 27th of November 2009 02:20:13 PM
Old 11-27-2009
"good interface like windows" is a bit of a misnomer. It's the most familiar to you, but if other people didn't want something different Linux wouldn't exist. There's going to be a difference and a learning curve because they're simply not the same.

Windows is also the antithesis of a good programming environment; the distros that pretend the hardest to be Windows are also the hardest to program in. Every other day we get Ubuntu people trying to follow code examples and getting nowhere... Ubuntu splits its packages into the bits you need to program with and the bits you need to just use it; it's not enough to have Xorg on your system for a programmer to use it for example -- you need to manually install Xorg-dev or something first. Rinse and repeat for hundreds of separate libraries. Most distros do this the same way.

Gentoo is a wonderful distribution for programmers. Install Xorg in it and you'll have everything you need to build things that use Xorg. It supports any language you can think of and lots nobody's heard of. It can install multiple versions of the same thing gracefully. It's also somewhat more intimidating. If you're interested in learning about Linux, installing Gentoo will teach you more than you'd learn in years of using a Windows-alike GUI shell. I used Mandrake(called Mandriva these days) for 3 years and learned nothing about what it was actually doing...

Last edited by Corona688; 11-27-2009 at 03:32 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Need a gui for linux.

I want one that won't run too slugish on a slower system (p 200Mhz for example). I know kde is out, anybody think gnome will run ok (I got 128 megs ram on it btw...don't ask :))? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pudad
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Windows GUI to feed shell scripts

Currently contemplating an idea to further automate some tools I've written. Excuse my knowledge if this is obvious (I was not able to find it in the forums), but how would I go about using a windows app to feed variables to a shell script as well as initiate that shell script and give me a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: douknownam
1 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Linux GUI

I got Linux 9 installed on my system with the GUI. One fine day....the GUI wouldn't start. How should i set it right? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: preeya
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If a is windows gui ( client), b is a unix gui ( Server for a) and c is a shell scrip

Hello all, 1) I want to have a GUI application that will call Unix shell scripts, 2) that GUI application should be able to reside on windows ( if possible) and then call Unix shell script either directly or through a server residing on unix. That is for example. If a is windows gui (... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hchivukula
1 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Running MS-windows GUI from unix/linux

Hi i need some help , i would like to run a GUI application on windows from unix i dont need to see the gui just to activate it from remote . it shoud be from CLI on the unix . thanks GUY (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: koreng
1 Replies

6. Solaris

X-windows Problem /GUI Installation fails

Guys, I am trying to install few products on my solaris 10 box. One of these installation would go as GUI installation. Whenever i run the setup, it throws an error message saying that GUI could not be started. What all things i need to check on server side as well as client (my windows... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ak835
0 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Problem with accessing subversion installed on unix server through windows GUI

We are using subversion as a version control system in our project. We are connecting to client`s sun Solaris box through check point VPN. Client has installed subversion . We have created repository and add files to it. Now we want to access the same from our windows machine (through... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aasid
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris GUI on a Windows 2000 box

I have a Sunfire V240 installed with Solaris 10. They are networked together and connected to a hub. They can ping eachothers IP address. I am trying to get a GUI from the V240 to display on the Windows 2000 box. Can someone please give me some step-by-step instructions on how to achieve... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: acme420
11 Replies

9. Linux

Only the terminal(command screen) no GUI, for Windows XP ???

Hi All, Am working in a major IT company, due to security issues, being a fresher am not allowed to install or asking for a specific business reason to install it in my system. The thing is i want to learn Linux, due to the same security issues we need Admin pass to install certain... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_ganapathy
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Seen Windows pc, having all the features of Linux, could exe, read and edit save like windows

Hi, totally new to linux base using windows when started learning and using computers. but i remember that one pc was there , look alike windows desktop, but could not do the task as windows just click and open and view edit etc. But, you could do a little differently even saving in and opening... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jraju
8 Replies
DH_INSTALLMAN(1)						     Debhelper							  DH_INSTALLMAN(1)

NAME
dh_installman - install man pages into package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_installman [debhelperoptions] [manpage...] DESCRIPTION
dh_installman is a debhelper program that handles installing man pages into the correct locations in package build directories. You tell it what man pages go in your packages, and it figures out where to install them based on the section field in their .TH or .Dt line. If you have a properly formatted .TH or .Dt line, your man page will be installed into the right directory, with the right name (this includes proper handling of pages with a subsection, like 3perl, which are placed in man3, and given an extension of .3perl). If your .TH or .Dt line is incorrect or missing, the program may guess wrong based on the file extension. It also supports translated man pages, by looking for extensions like .ll.8 and .ll_LL.8, or by use of the --language switch. If dh_installman seems to install a man page into the wrong section or with the wrong extension, this is because the man page has the wrong section listed in its .TH or .Dt line. Edit the man page and correct the section, and dh_installman will follow suit. See man(7) for details about the .TH section, and mdoc(7) for the .Dt section. If dh_installman seems to install a man page into a directory like /usr/share/man/pl/man1/, that is because your program has a name like foo.pl, and dh_installman assumes that means it is translated into Polish. Use --language=C to avoid this. After the man page installation step, dh_installman will check to see if any of the man pages in the temporary directories of any of the packages it is acting on contain .so links. If so, it changes them to symlinks. Also, dh_installman will use man to guess the character encoding of each manual page and convert it to UTF-8. If the guesswork fails for some reason, you can override it using an encoding declaration. See manconv(1) for details. FILES
debian/package.manpages Lists man pages to be installed. OPTIONS
-A, --all Install all files specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on. --language=ll Use this to specify that the man pages being acted on are written in the specified language. manpage ... Install these man pages into the first package acted on. (Or in all packages if -A is specified). NOTES
An older version of this program, dh_installmanpages(1), is still used by some packages, and so is still included in debhelper. It is, however, deprecated, due to its counterintuitive and inconsistent interface. Use this program instead. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 9.20120909 2012-04-24 DH_INSTALLMAN(1)