Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Permission denied when rm or chmod Post 302374233 by zxmaus on Monday 23rd of November 2009 11:13:59 PM
Old 11-24-2009
Hi,

you need write permissions to the directory to remove a file or change permissions.

Kind regards
zxmaus

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

./ Permission Denied.

Could someone tell me why I am getting a permission denied message when I attempt to run this on an out file? Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: trouscaillon
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission Denied

I just started computer science at UW Milwaukee. When I access the university Solaris system from PuTTY, I get permission denied when I try to access the file I wrote. Now I really have no idea what I'm doing, I just don't understand why I get permission denied in my won directory. Thank You ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: howeezy
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

change permission chmod

Hi, when I launch my perl script, I write on the shell: perl x.pl How I can can change the permission to write only: x to launch the program? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minguccio75
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Permission denied

Hi, I can not execute a .env file $ . /Data/oracle/d03/mydbora/8.0.6/MYDB.env -bash: /Data/oracle/d03/mydbora/8.0.6/MYDB.env: Permission denied Even if : -rwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 2903 Mar 5 2007 /Data/oracle/d03/mydbora/8.0.6/MYDB.env Please help. Many thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why do I keep getting .:Permission denied?

I'll start off by saying that I know very little about Unix - however, I do know that I have a .profile file in my home directory, and that I should be able to invoke it by typing . profile. However, when I do this for ANY .filename, I get ".: Permission denied". I'm pretty sure that there is... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbersani
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission denied

I would like to copy data from local mechine to cluster. Basically, I typed scp -r DVD/ acount@cluster:/ it shows Permission denied. Could anyone please give me a clue to write permission on cluster, please? The poperty of where on cluster I'd like to put is drwxr-xr-x Any idea would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: su_in99
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CHMOD....read only permission

After creating a user account...how do i verify if theres only read access on the account. If not read access would i enter chmod a-xw "username"? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File permission by chmod

Hi, I have a typical problem. Consider the scenario: Folder1 ------> Folder2 ------> File1 ------> Folder3 Above is my folder structure, currently the user group "other" has no permissions. I wish to give "read" permission for "others" to File1 using a single command. chmod -R... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesh303
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Permission denied

I created a user so that when he logs in he will be directed to a menu /etc/passwd user1:x:115:1:Support -SysAd:/export/home/user1:/export/home/suppotrmenu/script.sh However when I logged in remotely from another server by ssh user1@1.1.1.1 , it saysexport/home/suppotrmenu/script.sh:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Permission denied error using chmod on a cifs mount

I have a RHEL 5.7 system with a cifs mount from a Windows 2007 file server that I need to fix the permissions on. Once the share is mounted the permission for the mount are 777. I need to change that to 770 on the top level directory and to 640 on the sub-directory .ssh/. But when I run chmod... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: westmoreland
0 Replies
CHMOD(1)						      General Commands Manual							  CHMOD(1)

NAME
chmod - change access mode for files SYNOPSIS
chmod [-R] mode file ... OPTIONS
-R Change hierarchies recursively EXAMPLES
chmod 755 file # Owner: rwx Group: r-x Others: r-x chmod +x file1 file2 # Make file1 and file2 executable chmod a-w file # Make file read only chmod u+s file # Turn on SETUID for file chmod -R o+w dir # Allow writing for all files in dir DESCRIPTION
The given mode is applied to each file in the file list. If the -R flag is present, the files in a directory will be changed as well. The mode can be either absolute or symbolic. Absolute modes are given as an octal number that represents the new file mode. The mode bits are defined as follows: 4000 Set effective user id on execution to file's owner id 2000 Set effective group id on execution to file's group id 0400 file is readable by the owner of the file 0200 writeable by owner 0100 executable by owner 0070 same as above, for other users in the same group 0007 same as above, for all other users Symbolic modes modify the current file mode in a specified way. The form is: [who] op permissions { op permissions ...} {, [who] op ... } The possibilities for who are u, g, o, and a, standing for user, group, other and all, respectively. If who is omitted, a is assumed, but the current umask is used. The op can be +, -, or =; + turns on the given permissions, - turns them off; = sets the permissions exclu- sively for the given who. For example g=x sets the group permissions to --x. The possible permissions are r, w, x; which stand for read, write, and execute; s turns on the set effective user/group id bits. s only makes sense with u and g; o+s is harmless. SEE ALSO
ls(1), chmod(2). CHMOD(1)