Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers About the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local Post 302371277 by cqlouis on Saturday 14th of November 2009 04:06:41 AM
Old 11-14-2009
the file that I appended is:

Code:
[root@node01 xinetd.d]# cat /etc/rc.d/rc.local
#!/bin/sh
#
# This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
# You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
# want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

touch /var/lock/subsys/local

echo "this is just for test"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find whether a file is local or remote file?

Is there any system call to find whether a file is local or remote?? Thanks in advance!! -Jack Fds (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackfds
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Avoiding rc.local file during reboot

Hi, I am tryin to install custom software during the linux reboot. So,I have changed rc.local file, but unfortunately I have added a code that is going on a infinite loop. And now I am in a pick. Is there anyway that I can avoid rc.local file while reboot. Can anyone help me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
2 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Avoiding rc.local file during reboot

Hi, I am tryin to install custom software during the linux reboot. So,I have changed rc.local file, but unfortunately I have added a code that is going on a infinite loop. And now I am in a pick. Is there anyway that I can avoid rc.local file while reboot. Can anyone help me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate the time difference between a local file and a remote file.

I m stuck with a issue. I need to calculate the time difference between two files.. one on the local machine and one on the remote machine using a script. Can any one suggest the way this can be achevied Thanks, manohar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meetmano143
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

file size comparision local file and remote file

Hi, I have written a script which would FTP a dump file to the FTP server and log the whole activity into a file. to confirm the success of the file copy i grep for "226 file receive OK" and then send out an email saying success. Now i want to make sure the bytes of the local file and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba.admin2008
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Local max values of a file

I have a data file of two columns (corresponding to the x and y axes of a graph) separated by a comma. I want to find the local maximum values and print them to a file. It has been a while since I've done any scripting and I've forgotten everything. I have a few basic questions. 1.) How do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jemm
1 Replies

7. Ubuntu

rc.local file question

Hi, I putted the following code in my rc.local file: logf=/tmp/rc.local.log if then echo Start >> $logf /usr/sbin/pppd nodetach debug call internet >> $logf echo Stop >> $logf ping -c 1 google.com >> $logf fi But after login rhere was no rc.local.log file in my temp folder: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy a file from a dvd to the local AIX file system

Hi, I am a newbie to AIX, so please bear with me. I have mounted a dvd drive on AIX. I am trying to copy the file that is on the dvd drive on to the local machine. However, I get an error: cp: c1m_0001.gz: A system call received a parameter that is not valid. Can some one point me to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anurag1510
1 Replies

9. AIX

Do I need to configure my local windows to FTP files from local windows to a UNIX AIX server?

Hi Friends, I have this script for ftping files from AIX server to local windows xp. #!/bin/sh HOST='localsystem.net' USER='myid_onlocal' PASSWD='mypwd_onlocal' FILE='file.txt' ##This is a file on server(AIX) ftp -n $HOST <<END_SCRIPT quote USER $USER quote PASS $PASSWD put $FILE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajsharma
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh cat file output into a file on local computer

Hello, I'm on a remote computer by SSH. How can I get the output of "cat file" into a file on the local computer? I cannot use scp, because it's blocked. something like: ssh root@remote_maschine "cat /file" > /locale_machine/file :rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: borsti007
2 Replies
init.d(4)																 init.d(4)

NAME
init.d - initialization and termination scripts for changing init states SYNOPSIS
/etc/init.d /etc/init.d is a directory containing initialization and termination scripts for changing init states. These scripts are linked when appro- priate to files in the rc?.d directories, where `?' is a single character corresponding to the init state. See init(1M) for definitions of the states. The service management facility (see smf(5)) is the preferred mechanism for service initiation and termination. The init.d and rc?.d direc- tories are obsolete, and are provided for compatibility purposes only. Applications launched from these directories by svc.startd(1M) are incomplete services, and will not be restarted on failure. File names in rc?.d directories are of the form [SK]nn<init.d filename>, where S means start this job, K means kill this job, and nn is the relative sequence number for killing or starting the job. When entering a state (init S,0,2,3,etc.) the rc[S0-6] script executes those scripts in /etc/rc[S0-6].d that are prefixed with K followed by those scripts prefixed with S. When executing each script in one of the /etc/rc[S0-6] directories, the /sbin/rc[S0-6] script passes a single argument. It passes the argument 'stop' for scripts prefixed with K and the argument 'start' for scripts prefixed with S. There is no harm in applying the same sequence number to multiple scripts. In this case the order of execution is deterministic but unspecified. Guidelines for selecting sequence numbers are provided in README files located in the directory associated with that target state. For example, /etc/rc[S0-6].d/README. Absence of a README file indicates that there are currently no established guidelines. Do not put /etc/init.d in your $PATH. Having this directory in your $PATH can cause unexpected behavior. The programs in /etc/init.d are associated with init state changes and, under normal circumstances, are not intended to be invoked from a command line. Example 1: Example of /sbin/rc2. When changing to init state 2 (multi-user mode, network resources not exported), /sbin/rc2 is initiated by the svc.startd(1M) process. The following steps are performed by /sbin/rc2. 1. In the directory /etc/rc2.d are files used to stop processes that should not be running in state 2. The filenames are prefixed with K. Each K file in the directory is executed (by /sbin/rc2) in alphanumeric order when the system enters init state 2. See example below. 2. Also in the rc2.d directory are files used to start processes that should be running in state 2. As in Step 1, each S file is executed. Assume the file /etc/init.d/netdaemon is a script that will initiate networking daemons when given the argument 'start', and will terminate the daemons if given the argument 'stop'. It is linked to /etc/rc2.d/S68netdaemon, and to /etc/rc0.d/K67netdaemon. The file is executed by /etc/rc2.d/S68netdaemon start when init state 2 is entered and by /etc/rc0.d/K67netdaemon stop when shutting the system down. svcs(1), init(1M), svc.startd(1M), svccfg(1M), smf(5) Solaris now provides an expanded mechanism, which includes automated restart, for applications historically started via the init script mechanism. The Service Management Facility (introduced in smf(5)) is the preferred delivery mechanism for persistently running applica- tions. Existing init.d scripts will, however, continue to be executed according to the rules in this manual page. The details of execution in relation to managed services are available in svc.startd(1M). On earlier Solaris releases, a script named with a suffix of '.sh' would be sourced, allowing scripts to modify the environment of other scripts executed later. This behavior is no longer supported; for altering the environment in which services are run, see the setenv sub- command in svccfg(1M). /sbin/rc2 has references to the obsolescent rc.d directory. These references are for compatibility with old INSTALL scripts. New INSTALL scripts should use the init.d directory for related executables. The same is true for the shutdown.d directory. 17 Aug 2005 init.d(4)