Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Advanced error handling in shell scripts Post 302363735 by dr.house on Wednesday 21st of October 2009 07:50:39 AM
Old 10-21-2009
My two bytes: Smilie

Code:
if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then
  takeNote "[error, long text]" # write error to log file (all systems)
  houseCall "[error, short text]" # send e-mail to admin (server only)
  popUp -info "[error, short text]" # pop up info window (client only)
fi

The according functions are stored in a separate file, to be sourced first thing by any script I'm using ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Null handling in scripts

Hi, I face some problem with handling of nulls. I declare a variable - say i - and intialise to 0. Later I read it from console, wherein if I dont give any variable and press return key, I get this error: "0403-004 Specify a parameter with this command" Is there anyway to handle this error? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanprabu
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error Handling in Korn Shell scripts

Hi, I am using few ISQL statements to update and delete from a few tables in sybase, now i want to roll back the transaction when any of the statements fail.How i can i capture these errors in the shell scripts.Please advise. Thanks, Gopi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhgopi
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Handling Errors in Shell Scripts

I have a shell script, which calls a load script to load a database. How can i handle errors in Unix(similar to 'error level' in Batch scripts)? I am trying to use 'mailx' to send a Success/failure message based on the error level returned by the load script. I have already used an error log... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarsani
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error Checking in Shell scripts.

What i need to do is when the database connection is not successful , the script should move to next list i.e skip the current. But when i do this - if ; then break; fi The script break but it goes to the condition - if ; then for LIST in $LISTS do for TABLE in $TABLES do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell variables advanced

Hi all, i have more questions but its all about variables so lets begin 1st, is possible to list all variables ? Command env display only shell variables, but what if i declared another variable? Command set display more variables but not defined by me. 2nd, what difference is between set... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
24 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error handling in Unix shell scripting

Hello, I have written a shell script and suppose there is any error in the script. How i can do exception handling in shell script.for example i have below code sqlplus -s <<uid>>/<<pwd>>@<<$ORACLE_SID>> <<EOF > 1_pid1.log set pagesize 0 set feedback off set heading off set linesize 200... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rksingh003
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting error in shell scripts

Hi, I have a shell script confug-msys.sh which callls config-common.sh. When run from command prompt,these work fine but give the below error when i try to run from code-blocks line 7: --without-contrib: command not found ...Also I am unable to understand what the second script does...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: binnyshah
4 Replies

8. Programming

Advanced Exception Handling in C++

Hi Friend, Could you please provide me with some tutorial for Advanced Exception handling in C++, mainly set_terminate() and set_unexpected() functions? Please find the details below: OS: Unix Compiler: gcc. Thanks. :) Awesome001 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: awesome001
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripts error

Dear all I have shell script where files have been organized into directory, i pass the directory name and it shold pick all the files within the directory and move to differnet path. When i run the scripts it doesn't move and come out with error and i am not able to understand it the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guddu_12
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling scripts in two different servers

Hi , My Script work as below 1- On server 1 execute script1.sh , through this script one parameter file is generated as file.txt this is to transfer on server 2 2- After reaching on server2 other shell script script2.sh execute using parameter file file.txt This generate file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaushik02018
1 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)