Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Advanced error handling in shell scripts Post 302363695 by script_man on Wednesday 21st of October 2009 05:10:53 AM
Old 10-21-2009
Advanced error handling in shell scripts

Hi all

I've got a question regarding error handling in shell scripts. My background is mainly object oriented programming languages, but for a year or so I've been doing more and more (bash) shell scripting (which I quite enjoy by the way).

To handle errors in my scripts I often find myself doing something like:

Code:
<execute some command>
  if [ $? -ne 0 ] ;then
    <handle error>
  fi

In many cases the <handle error> is the same for the commands executed, so you end up duplicating code. Thus I think it would be better to encapsulate this code in a function, e.g.

Code:
exec_cmd()
  {
    $1 # the command to be executed is passed in as an argument
    if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
      <handle error>
    fi
  }

And execute commands by calling this function:
Code:
exec_cmd "<some command>"

Furthermore, the function can easily be enhanced to write the command as well as the command output and return code to a log file:
Code:
exec_cmd()
{
  echo ""   >> $log_file
  echo "---------------------------------------------------------" >> $log_file
  echo "$1" >> $log_file
  $1        >> $log_file 2>&1
  return_code=$?
  if [ $return_code -ne 0 ] ; then
    echo "ERROR - $1 failed with $return_code"
    exit 1
  fi
}

exec_cmd "<cmd1>"
exec_cmd "<cmd2>"
exec_cmd "<cmd2>"

I found this quite handy to handle errors in my scripts. If you write command, output and return code to a log file, it also makes it quite easy to investigate problems with scripts that run in the background.

Now my question is:
How is that as a practise? Is it common? Or would it be considerd as bad and if so why? Has the bash already got something like this build in? (E.g. there might be an exit on fail option; I also know that you can start scripts with an option which outputs the commands which are being executed).

How do the experienced people here do the error handling in their scripts?

Thanks and best wishes

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Null handling in scripts

Hi, I face some problem with handling of nulls. I declare a variable - say i - and intialise to 0. Later I read it from console, wherein if I dont give any variable and press return key, I get this error: "0403-004 Specify a parameter with this command" Is there anyway to handle this error? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanprabu
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error Handling in Korn Shell scripts

Hi, I am using few ISQL statements to update and delete from a few tables in sybase, now i want to roll back the transaction when any of the statements fail.How i can i capture these errors in the shell scripts.Please advise. Thanks, Gopi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhgopi
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Handling Errors in Shell Scripts

I have a shell script, which calls a load script to load a database. How can i handle errors in Unix(similar to 'error level' in Batch scripts)? I am trying to use 'mailx' to send a Success/failure message based on the error level returned by the load script. I have already used an error log... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarsani
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error Checking in Shell scripts.

What i need to do is when the database connection is not successful , the script should move to next list i.e skip the current. But when i do this - if ; then break; fi The script break but it goes to the condition - if ; then for LIST in $LISTS do for TABLE in $TABLES do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell variables advanced

Hi all, i have more questions but its all about variables so lets begin 1st, is possible to list all variables ? Command env display only shell variables, but what if i declared another variable? Command set display more variables but not defined by me. 2nd, what difference is between set... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
24 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error handling in Unix shell scripting

Hello, I have written a shell script and suppose there is any error in the script. How i can do exception handling in shell script.for example i have below code sqlplus -s <<uid>>/<<pwd>>@<<$ORACLE_SID>> <<EOF > 1_pid1.log set pagesize 0 set feedback off set heading off set linesize 200... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rksingh003
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting error in shell scripts

Hi, I have a shell script confug-msys.sh which callls config-common.sh. When run from command prompt,these work fine but give the below error when i try to run from code-blocks line 7: --without-contrib: command not found ...Also I am unable to understand what the second script does...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: binnyshah
4 Replies

8. Programming

Advanced Exception Handling in C++

Hi Friend, Could you please provide me with some tutorial for Advanced Exception handling in C++, mainly set_terminate() and set_unexpected() functions? Please find the details below: OS: Unix Compiler: gcc. Thanks. :) Awesome001 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: awesome001
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripts error

Dear all I have shell script where files have been organized into directory, i pass the directory name and it shold pick all the files within the directory and move to differnet path. When i run the scripts it doesn't move and come out with error and i am not able to understand it the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guddu_12
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling scripts in two different servers

Hi , My Script work as below 1- On server 1 execute script1.sh , through this script one parameter file is generated as file.txt this is to transfer on server 2 2- After reaching on server2 other shell script script2.sh execute using parameter file file.txt This generate file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaushik02018
1 Replies
shell(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 shell(1F)

NAME
shell - run a command using shell SYNOPSIS
shell command [command] ... DESCRIPTION
The shell function concatenate its arguments, separating each by a space, and passes this string to the shell ($SHELL if set, otherwise /usr/bin/sh). EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample output of shell command. Since the Form and Menu Language does not directly support background processing, the shell function can be used instead. `shell "build prog > /dev/null &"` If you want the user to continue to be able to interact with the application while the background job is running, the output of an exe- cutable run by shell in the background must be redirected: to a file if you want to save the output, or to /dev/null if you don't want to save it (or if there is no output), otherwise your application may appear to be hung until the background job finishes processing. shell can also be used to execute a command that has the same name as an FMLI built-in function. NOTES
The arguments to shell will be concatenate using spaces, which may or may not do what is expected. The variables set in local environments will not be expanded by the shell because "local" means "local to the current process." ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 shell(1F)