Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Preventing the terminal window to resize Post 302359675 by figaro on Wednesday 7th of October 2009 06:45:19 AM
Old 10-07-2009
Preventing the terminal window to resize

I am running Terminal (xterm) on FreeBSD and XFCE. When opening a new terminal window so that an additional tab appears, the window resizes to become taller and partially hiding behind the task bar. I noticed that Xubuntu has fixed this feature and the window does not resize when opening a second window. Is there a setting that the end user can set, so that the terminal window does not resize?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

curses & window resize issues

I am writing a program to display a database to the screen(xterm) and want to allow the window resize signal to increase/decrease the amount data that is displayed. I have a signal handler function for catching the SIGWINCH event and calling a function to reallocate the space for the windows... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwaz
0 Replies

2. Solaris

CDE loging window resize?

I was asked to display a banner on the CDE login window and I have successfully accomplished that task. This is what I did: 1) made the directory /etc/dt/config/C 2) cp /usr/dt/config/C/Xresources /etc/dt/config/C 3) I edited /etc/dt/config/C/Xresources and ensured the following lines were... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rtoba
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CDE loging window resize?

I was asked to display a banner on the CDE login window and I have successfully accomplished that task. This is what I did: 1) made the directory /etc/dt/config/C 2) cp /usr/dt/config/C/Xresources /etc/dt/config/C 3) I edited /etc/dt/config/C/Xresources and ensured the following lines were... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rtoba
0 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Resize the default window size

Hi, How can I resize the terminal window's default size in CDE (Solaris)? Regards, Sharif. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharif
1 Replies

5. Programming

Resize current window with Curses

Hi. I am beginning with Unix C Curses Library and i would like to know if it's possible to resize my current window. In other words, i am working with a Putty Client over my Windows system and with a telnet/ssh connection to linux. I want to build a small linux application using C Curses... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pogdorica
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

size of the terminal window

Hi, I am programming a script that shows a figure on screen but I would be centered, so What I have to use command to get the size of the window? Thanks a lot, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gengis-Kahn
2 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

help with linux terminal window

Hello! I need to create a file and provide access to two users of the file under the same command in linuxs terminal window. The question is how can I do it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Messe
3 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Terminal window unknown ?

Hi all I haven't worked much in the terminal window until recently as I'm trying to install the Imagemagick package, it's not going well but thats another matter. I'm worried now that I might have done something wrong. When I open the terminal window now I get unknown-e0-f8-47-0d-1b-02:~... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ttmt
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

avoid error on terminal window!

Hi Guys, I am using simple ls command to find out whether the dir exist there or not. If dir found than remove. But the problem is I don't want the error shown on the terminal window that "dir not found" on the terminal window everytime i execute it. The code I am using is: set x = `/bin/ls... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixits
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Toggle between xterm window and standard terminal window

Is it possible to toggle back and forth between an xterm invoked from one tty, and a shell invoked from a different tty? I am running Centos 7 with KDE and booting in non-graphic mode. After logging in on the default window (/dev/tty1) , I can then use ALT-F2 to access a new window (/dev/tty2),... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rhgscty
1 Replies
resize(1X)							     MIT X11R4								resize(1X)

Name
       resize - utility to set TERMCAP and terminal settings to current window size

Syntax
       resize [-u] [-s [row col]]

Description
       The  uitility  prints  a  shell command for setting the TERM and TERMCAP environment variables to indicate the current size of xterm window
       from which the command is run. For this output to take effect, resize must either be evaluated as part of the command  line  (usually  done
       with  a	shell alias or function) or else redirected to a file which can then be read in. From the C shell (usually known as /bin/csh), the
       following alias could be defined in the user's .cshrc:

% alias rs 'set noglob; `eval resize`'

After resizing the window, the user would type:

% rs

Users of versions of the Bourne shell (usually known as /bin/sh) that do not have command functions will need to send the output to a  tem-
       porary file and the read it back in with the ``.'' command:

$ resize >/tmp/out
	   $ . /tmp/out

Options
       The following options may be used with resize:

-u      This option indicates that Bourne shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell is not /bin/sh.

-c      This option indicates that C shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell is not /bin/csh.

-s [rows columns]
	       This option indicates that the Sun console escape sequences will be used instead of the special xterm escape code. If rows and col-
	       umns are given, resize will ask the xterm to resize itself. However, the window manager may choose to disallow the change.

Restrictions
       The -u or -c must appear to the left of -s if both are specified.

There should be some global notion of display size; termcap and terminfo need to be rethought in the context of window systems.	(Fixed	in
       4.3BSD, and ULTRIX-32 1.2)

Files
       For the base termcap entry to modify.

User's alias for the command.

See Also
       csh(1), tset(1), xterm(1X)

resize(1X)