Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting if clause problem ..err is : integer expression expected Post 302358688 by ahmad.diab on Sunday 4th of October 2009 05:30:31 AM
Old 10-04-2009
Code:
A binary comparison operator compares two variables or quantities. Note that integer and string comparison
use a different set of operators.
integer comparison
-eq
is equal to
if [ "$a" -eq "$b" ]
-ne
is not equal to
if [ "$a" -ne "$b" ]
-gt
is greater than
if [ "$a" -gt "$b" ]
-ge
is greater than or equal to
if [ "$a" -ge "$b" ]
-lt
is less than
if [ "$a" -lt "$b" ]
-le
is less than or equal to
if [ "$a" -le "$b" ]

<
is less than (within double parentheses)
(("$a" < "$b"))
<=
is less than or equal to (within double parentheses)
(("$a" <= "$b"))
>
is greater than (within double parentheses)
(("$a" > "$b"))
>=
is greater than or equal to (within double parentheses)
(("$a" >= "$b"))
string comparison
=
is equal to
if [ "$a" = "$b" ]
==
is equal to
if [ "$a" == "$b" ]

!=
is not equal to
if [ "$a" != "$b" ]
This operator uses pattern matching within a [[ ... ]] construct.
<
is less than, in ASCII alphabetical order
if [[ "$a" < "$b" ]]

if [ "$a" \< "$b" ]
Note that the "<" needs to be escaped within a [ ] construct.
>
is greater than, in ASCII alphabetical order
if [[ "$a" > "$b" ]]
if [ "$a" \> "$b" ]
Note that the ">" needs to be escaped within a [ ] construct.

in conclusion (using bash or ksh shells) :-
you are testing 2 numerical variables (numbers) you have to use the first kind of operators (-eq) not the string operator
you can use the string operator in double parentheses ( [[..]] )

so use [[ "$rcInPAudit" = "$rcInP" ]] or [ "$rcInPAudit" -eq "$rcInP" ] to eliminate the error.

BR

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Integer Expression Expected

Cannot figure out what the error is on line #10 I was trying to change my login prompt though I've success with that this shows up as well. Here's what I have (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moonunit
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

:integer expression expected

Hi, echo $i until || do read NUM if && ; then printf "$FBOLD\nInvalid number, please enter valid backup number: $FREG" fi done Getting below error : ./import_location.sh: line 234: [: : integer expression expected ./import_location.sh: line 234: [: :... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Integer expression expected: with regular expression

CA_RELEASE has a value of 6. I need to check if that this is a numeric value. if not error. source $CA_VERSION_DATA if * ] then echo "CA_RELESE $CA_RELEASE is invalid" exit -1 fi + source /etc/ncgl/ca_version_data ++ CA_PRODUCT_ID=samxts ++ CA_RELEASE=6 ++ CA_WEEK_NO=7 ++... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketkee1985
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Integer Expression Expected!?!?

Ok, so I am beggining a script to factor the time difference from when a user logs on to current time but before I can even get too far I am getting the INTEGER EXPRESSION EXPECTED error. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? lhour=$(who | grep "$1" | cut -c30,31); lmin=$(who | grep "$1"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: losingit
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Integer expression expected

Newb here echo "$yesterdaysclose" echo "$close" if ; then echo "stocks moving up" elif ; then echo "stock is moving down" else echo "no change" fi seems to evaluate the floating decimal correctly however returns ./shellscript1.sh: line 17: [: : integer expression expected... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harte
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

hi Guys, when i run the below script its showing error "integer expression expected" script pasted below: #!/bin/sh for i in {1..$2} do if then scp server1:/root/file.2012-$1-0$i . else scp server1:/root/file.2012-$1-$i . fi done (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganga39
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi, I have placed the script and running successfully on AIX However in Linux it throws integer expression expected Could some one please help me to fix this MaxThreshold4alert=`echo "$MaxCapacitycnt*(80/100)" |bc -l` echo $MaxThreshold4alert Error: 40.00000000000000000000: integer... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajothi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need some help with this if but then it says line 11: I don't know what I'm doing wrong (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: margg
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi, I am getting the below error while comparing the month of a file to current month. I am using ls -lrth to get the month of that file and while using the if else condition i am getting the below error.. a1=`ls -lrth abc.txt | awk '{print substr($6,1,3)}'` This gives me the month from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaituteja
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hello , This is the piece of the code which is giving me trouble if ;then exit_proc "${SOURCEDIR}/${OUT_FILE} does not exists or not readable" 2 else word_count=`wc -l < ${SOURCEDIR}/$OUT_FILE` fi if ;then exit_proc "Word_count is more than allowed limit" 1 else... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
6 Replies
mathop(n)						Tcl Mathematical Operator Commands						 mathop(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
mathop - Mathematical operators as Tcl commands SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.5 ::tcl::mathop::! number ::tcl::mathop::~ number ::tcl::mathop::+ ?number ...? ::tcl::mathop::- number ?number ...? ::tcl::mathop::* ?number ...? ::tcl::mathop::/ number ?number ...? ::tcl::mathop::% number number ::tcl::mathop::** ?number ...? ::tcl::mathop::& ?number ...? ::tcl::mathop::| ?number ...? ::tcl::mathop::^ ?number ...? ::tcl::mathop::<< number number ::tcl::mathop::>> number number ::tcl::mathop::== ?arg ...? ::tcl::mathop::!= arg arg ::tcl::mathop::< ?arg ...? ::tcl::mathop::<= ?arg ...? ::tcl::mathop::>= ?arg ...? ::tcl::mathop::> ?arg ...? ::tcl::mathop::eq ?arg ...? ::tcl::mathop::ne arg arg ::tcl::mathop::in arg list ::tcl::mathop::ni arg list _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The commands in the ::tcl::mathop namespace implement the same set of operations as supported by the expr command. All are exported from the namespace, but are not imported into any other namespace by default. Note that renaming, reimplementing or deleting any of the commands in the namespace does not alter the way that the expr command behaves, and nor does defining any new commands in the ::tcl::mathop names- pace. The following operator commands are supported: ~ ! + - * / % ** & | ^ >> << == eq != ne < <= > >= in ni MATHEMATICAL OPERATORS The behaviors of the mathematical operator commands are as follows: ! boolean Returns the boolean negation of boolean, where boolean may be any numeric value or any other form of boolean value (i.e. it returns truth if the argument is falsity or zero, and falsity if the argument is truth or non-zero). + ?number ...? Returns the sum of arbitrarily many arguments. Each number argument may be any numeric value. If no arguments are given, the result will be zero (the summation identity). - number ?number ...? If only a single number argument is given, returns the negation of that numeric value. Otherwise returns the number that results when all subsequent numeric values are subtracted from the first one. All number arguments must be numeric values. At least one argument must be given. * ?number ...? Returns the product of arbitrarily many arguments. Each number may be any numeric value. If no arguments are given, the result will be one (the multiplicative identity). / number ?number ...? If only a single number argument is given, returns the reciprocal of that numeric value (i.e. the value obtained by dividing 1.0 by that value). Otherwise returns the number that results when the first numeric argument is divided by all subsequent numeric argu- ments. All number arguments must be numeric values. At least one argument must be given. Note that when the leading values in the list of arguments are integers, integer division will be used for those initial steps (i.e. the intermediate results will be as if the functions floor and int are applied to them, in that order). If all values in the opera- tion are integers, the result will be an integer. % number number Returns the integral modulus of the first argument with respect to the second. Each number must have an integral value. Note that Tcl defines this operation exactly even for negative numbers, so that the following equality holds true: (x / y) * y == x - (x % y) ** ?number ...? Returns the result of raising each value to the power of the result of recursively operating on the result of processing the follow- ing arguments, so "** 2 3 4" is the same as "** 2 [** 3 4]". Each number may be any numeric value, though the second number must not be fractional if the first is negative. If no arguments are given, the result will be one, and if only one argument is given, the result will be that argument. The result will have an integral value only when all arguments are integral values. COMPARISON OPERATORS The behaviors of the comparison operator commands (most of which operate preferentially on numeric arguments) are as follows: == ?arg ...? Returns whether each argument is equal to the arguments on each side of it in the sense of the expr == operator (i.e., numeric com- parison if possible, exact string comparison otherwise). If fewer than two arguments are given, this operation always returns a true value. eq ?arg ...? Returns whether each argument is equal to the arguments on each side of it using exact string comparison. If fewer than two argu- ments are given, this operation always returns a true value. != arg arg Returns whether the two arguments are not equal to each other, in the sense of the expr != operator (i.e., numeric comparison if possible, exact string comparison otherwise). ne arg arg Returns whether the two arguments are not equal to each other using exact string comparison. < ?arg ...? Returns whether the arbitrarily-many arguments are ordered, with each argument after the first having to be strictly more than the one preceding it. Comparisons are performed preferentially on the numeric values, and are otherwise performed using UNICODE string comparison. If fewer than two arguments are present, this operation always returns a true value. When the arguments are numeric but should be compared as strings, the string compare command should be used instead. <= ?arg ...? Returns whether the arbitrarily-many arguments are ordered, with each argument after the first having to be equal to or more than the one preceding it. Comparisons are performed preferentially on the numeric values, and are otherwise performed using UNICODE string comparison. If fewer than two arguments are present, this operation always returns a true value. When the arguments are numeric but should be compared as strings, the string compare command should be used instead. > ?arg ...? Returns whether the arbitrarily-many arguments are ordered, with each argument after the first having to be strictly less than the one preceding it. Comparisons are performed preferentially on the numeric values, and are otherwise performed using UNICODE string comparison. If fewer than two arguments are present, this operation always returns a true value. When the arguments are numeric but should be compared as strings, the string compare command should be used instead. >= ?arg ...? Returns whether the arbitrarily-many arguments are ordered, with each argument after the first having to be equal to or less than the one preceding it. Comparisons are performed preferentially on the numeric values, and are otherwise performed using UNICODE string comparison. If fewer than two arguments are present, this operation always returns a true value. When the arguments are numeric but should be compared as strings, the string compare command should be used instead. BIT-WISE OPERATORS The behaviors of the bit-wise operator commands (all of which only operate on integral arguments) are as follows: ~ number Returns the bit-wise negation of number. Number may be an integer of any size. Note that the result of this operation will always have the opposite sign to the input number. & ?number ...? Returns the bit-wise AND of each of the arbitrarily many arguments. Each number must have an integral value. If no arguments are given, the result will be minus one. | ?number ...? Returns the bit-wise OR of each of the arbitrarily many arguments. Each number must have an integral value. If no arguments are given, the result will be zero. ^ ?number ...? Returns the bit-wise XOR of each of the arbitrarily many arguments. Each number must have an integral value. If no arguments are given, the result will be zero. << number number Returns the result of bit-wise shifting the first argument left by the number of bits specified in the second argument. Each number must have an integral value. >> number number Returns the result of bit-wise shifting the first argument right by the number of bits specified in the second argument. Each number must have an integral value. LIST OPERATORS The behaviors of the list-oriented operator commands are as follows: in arg list Returns whether the value arg is present in the list list (according to exact string comparison of elements). ni arg list Returns whether the value arg is not present in the list list (according to exact string comparison of elements). EXAMPLES
The simplest way to use the operators is often by using namespace path to make the commands available. This has the advantage of not affecting the set of commands defined by the current namespace. namespace path {::tcl::mathop ::tcl::mathfunc} # Compute the sum of some numbers set sum [+ 1 2 3] # Compute the average of a list set list {1 2 3 4 5 6} set mean [/ [+ {*}$list] [double [llength $list]]] # Test for list membership set gotIt [in 3 $list] # Test to see if a value is within some defined range set inRange [<= 1 $x 5] # Test to see if a list is sorted set sorted [<= {*}$list] SEE ALSO
expr(n), mathfunc(n), namespace(n) KEYWORDS
command, expression, operator Tcl 8.5 mathop(n)