Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat how to force a user to change the password Post 302354303 by Corona688 on Thursday 17th of September 2009 05:40:34 PM
Old 09-17-2009
You can force a password to immediately expire with
Code:
chage -d 0 username

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Force Password Change...RedHat 7.1

Hello, I just finished adding a bunch of new users to the linux servers I administer. I add users either via command line or via linuxconf, but I can't seem to find out how to force users to change their passwords on their first login to the system. Anyone know how to do that? My HP-UX... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vancouver_joe
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Force to change to a different password

Hi, I notice in my Sun Solaris 8 sparc worstation, I am able to change my password to same existing password. That is, right now my password is abc, and I change it with "passwd" command and change it abc again. It will accept. How can I make it such that it will not accept same password?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: champion
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't change password for a user

All, I am unable to change a password for the user called : poller I am logged in as root When I do the following command passwd poller New Password: Permission denied Whe i enter the new password, it gives the above error. When i log in as poller and then execute the command, then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Server wide password enforcement rules? 90 day force change.

Using Solaris 9 and 10. What we want to do is set up global rules for our password files to restrict all users, not only new ones set up with the rules but also the ones that have been sitting on the system for years. Is there a global way to force all users to change their password every 90... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

force to change password(shell script)

hi How can I force user to change of password by modifying the password expiry and the grace period so that the user has at least 1 week to login and change the password...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

force to change password(by modifying /etc/shadow)

hi by modifying /etc/shadow how can I Force a change of password so that user has at least 1 week to login? I did it by using: echo "enter username to force password change" read user; chage -M 7 $user; How can I do it by modifying /etc/shadow?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Force user to change passwd on first login

Hello All, How to force user to change his login passwd on his first login in solaris 10 ? while adding user do we need to set the password in theis case?? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
7 Replies

8. Red Hat

password change for user on Redhat 5.6

Hi expert, after creating users on Redhat, i wantn to change their password with something that easy to remember and the way we use. For example #passwd username hello$123 it don't allow me. It may has something to do /etc/pam.d/filesXXXX there which i don't know to change to allow root... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lamoul
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change LPad user password?

Hi Gurus, I am lpad user in some of my server. I need to change password at certain period time. I am wondering what is the command to change the passwd. last time I asked my unix admin, they gave me a comand I chagned it. (I forgot to keep it in safe place, I lost it). this time when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
2 Replies

10. Linux

Not able to change user password

hi I am not able to change user password from root user. although it is saying updated successfully. but still I am not able to login direct to abc user. however I can login from root user by using su - abc # passwd abc Changing password for user abc. New password: BAD PASSWORD: it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
2 Replies
PAM_PWHISTORY(8)						 Linux-PAM Manual						  PAM_PWHISTORY(8)

NAME
pam_pwhistory - PAM module to remember last passwords SYNOPSIS
pam_pwhistory.so [debug] [use_authtok] [enforce_for_root] [remember=N] [retry=N] [authtok_type=STRING] DESCRIPTION
This module saves the last passwords for each user in order to force password change history and keep the user from alternating between the same password too frequently. This module does not work together with kerberos. In general, it does not make much sense to use this module in conjunction with NIS or LDAP, since the old passwords are stored on the local machine and are not available on another machine for password history checking. OPTIONS
debug Turns on debugging via syslog(3). use_authtok When password changing enforce the module to use the new password provided by a previously stacked password module (this is used in the example of the stacking of the pam_cracklib module documented below). enforce_for_root If this option is set, the check is enforced for root, too. remember=N The last N passwords for each user are saved in /etc/security/opasswd. The default is 10. retry=N Prompt user at most N times before returning with error. The default is 1. authtok_type=STRING See pam_get_authtok(3) for more details. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the password module type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_AUTHTOK_ERR No new password was entered, the user aborted password change or new password couldn't be set. PAM_IGNORE Password history was disabled. PAM_MAXTRIES Password was rejected too often. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User is not known to system. EXAMPLES
An example password section would be: #%PAM-1.0 password required pam_pwhistory.so password required pam_unix.so use_authtok In combination with pam_cracklib: #%PAM-1.0 password required pam_cracklib.so retry=3 password required pam_pwhistory.so use_authtok password required pam_unix.so use_authtok FILES
/etc/security/opasswd File with password history SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(8) pam_get_authtok(3) AUTHOR
pam_pwhistory was written by Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@thkukuk.de> Linux-PAM Manual 06/04/2011 PAM_PWHISTORY(8)