Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat how to force a user to change the password Post 302354301 by uxadmin007 on Thursday 17th of September 2009 05:22:54 PM
Old 09-17-2009
how to force a user to change the password

RHEL 5 update 4. How to force a user to change the password at his next logon.

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Force Password Change...RedHat 7.1

Hello, I just finished adding a bunch of new users to the linux servers I administer. I add users either via command line or via linuxconf, but I can't seem to find out how to force users to change their passwords on their first login to the system. Anyone know how to do that? My HP-UX... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vancouver_joe
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Force to change to a different password

Hi, I notice in my Sun Solaris 8 sparc worstation, I am able to change my password to same existing password. That is, right now my password is abc, and I change it with "passwd" command and change it abc again. It will accept. How can I make it such that it will not accept same password?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: champion
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't change password for a user

All, I am unable to change a password for the user called : poller I am logged in as root When I do the following command passwd poller New Password: Permission denied Whe i enter the new password, it gives the above error. When i log in as poller and then execute the command, then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Server wide password enforcement rules? 90 day force change.

Using Solaris 9 and 10. What we want to do is set up global rules for our password files to restrict all users, not only new ones set up with the rules but also the ones that have been sitting on the system for years. Is there a global way to force all users to change their password every 90... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

force to change password(shell script)

hi How can I force user to change of password by modifying the password expiry and the grace period so that the user has at least 1 week to login and change the password...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

force to change password(by modifying /etc/shadow)

hi by modifying /etc/shadow how can I Force a change of password so that user has at least 1 week to login? I did it by using: echo "enter username to force password change" read user; chage -M 7 $user; How can I do it by modifying /etc/shadow?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Force user to change passwd on first login

Hello All, How to force user to change his login passwd on his first login in solaris 10 ? while adding user do we need to set the password in theis case?? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
7 Replies

8. Red Hat

password change for user on Redhat 5.6

Hi expert, after creating users on Redhat, i wantn to change their password with something that easy to remember and the way we use. For example #passwd username hello$123 it don't allow me. It may has something to do /etc/pam.d/filesXXXX there which i don't know to change to allow root... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lamoul
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change LPad user password?

Hi Gurus, I am lpad user in some of my server. I need to change password at certain period time. I am wondering what is the command to change the passwd. last time I asked my unix admin, they gave me a comand I chagned it. (I forgot to keep it in safe place, I lost it). this time when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
2 Replies

10. Linux

Not able to change user password

hi I am not able to change user password from root user. although it is saying updated successfully. but still I am not able to login direct to abc user. however I can login from root user by using su - abc # passwd abc Changing password for user abc. New password: BAD PASSWORD: it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
2 Replies
CHAGE(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          CHAGE(1)

NAME
chage - change user password expiry information SYNOPSIS
chage [options] LOGIN DESCRIPTION
The chage command changes the number of days between password changes and the date of the last password change. This information is used by the system to determine when a user must change his/her password. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chage command are: -d, --lastday LAST_DAY Set the number of days since January 1st, 1970 when the password was last changed. The date may also be expressed in the format YYYY-MM-DD (or the format more commonly used in your area). -E, --expiredate EXPIRE_DATE Set the date or number of days since January 1, 1970 on which the user's account will no longer be accessible. The date may also be expressed in the format YYYY-MM-DD (or the format more commonly used in your area). A user whose account is locked must contact the system administrator before being able to use the system again. Passing the number -1 as the EXPIRE_DATE will remove an account expiration date. -h, --help Display help message and exit. -I, --inactive INACTIVE Set the number of days of inactivity after a password has expired before the account is locked. The INACTIVE option is the number of days of inactivity. A user whose account is locked must contact the system administrator before being able to use the system again. Passing the number -1 as the INACTIVE will remove an account's inactivity. -l, --list Show account aging information. -m, --mindays MIN_DAYS Set the minimum number of days between password changes to MIN_DAYS. A value of zero for this field indicates that the user may change his/her password at any time. -M, --maxdays MAX_DAYS Set the maximum number of days during which a password is valid. When MAX_DAYS plus LAST_DAY is less than the current day, the user will be required to change his/her password before being able to use his/her account. This occurrence can be planned for in advance by use of the -W option, which provides the user with advance warning. Passing the number -1 as MAX_DAYS will remove checking a password's validity. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -W, --warndays WARN_DAYS Set the number of days of warning before a password change is required. The WARN_DAYS option is the number of days prior to the password expiring that a user will be warned his/her password is about to expire. If none of the options are selected, chage operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current values for all of the fields. Enter the new value to change the field, or leave the line blank to use the current value. The current value is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The chage program requires a shadow password file to be available. The chage command is restricted to the root user, except for the -l option, which may be used by an unprivileged user to determine when his/her password or account is due to expire. CONFIGURATION
The following configuration variables in /etc/login.defs change the behavior of this tool: FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. EXIT VALUES
The chage command exits with the following values: 0 success 1 permission denied 2 invalid command syntax 15 can't find the shadow password file SEE ALSO
passwd(5), shadow(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHAGE(1)